The Ashes - August/September 2019

T20, IPL, Test matches or the Ashes, discuss it here.
Emmson

9 down now, I no longer believe the game can be saved.
greenmark

Well done Leach! Shame the 'batsmen' of the team couldn't match your discipline. Looks all over now.
greenmark

Bugger!. Well done Australia!
superfrank

A valiant effort which was good to see. Australia the better side though throughout the series.
greenmark

Tim Paine "We've come through a difficult time over the last 12 to 18 months".
That's a poor attempt at justification of an indefencible situation.
Never the less, Oz have batted, bowled and fielded better. Full credit.
greenmark

Maybe the captaincy model should be rethought. A natural media person as captain, with a leadership group dealing with tactics off/on field. Share the income premium that comes from being captain. The current model just doesn't work.
Lutruwita

greenmark wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm
I don't see how it was not a difficult time? And Australia actually punished its players for cheating. It probably cost them the series against India. Whereas England potentially won the 2005 Ashes on the back of ball tampering and championed it by giving 15 players MBEs. Trescothick, Flintoff and Panasar have all admitted to using various things such as mints, sunscreen, zips etc.
greenmark

Aarondewit wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:36 am
greenmark wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm
I don't see how it was not a difficult time? And Australia actually punished its players for cheating. It probably cost them the series against India. Whereas England potentially won the 2005 Ashes on the back of ball tampering and championed it by giving 15 players MBEs. Trescothick, Flintoff and Panasar have all admitted to using various things such as mints, sunscreen, zips etc.
Fair comment. Wasn't aware of the zip thing, but the other 2 have been common practice since the year dot.
greenmark

Baffled why Roy has been picked again. Are they thinking the 5th test can be used as "test match training" for him. He's had 4 matches and is averaging barely more than the bowlers. Must have friends in high places.
Then again, with Smith in the equation there seems to be no change we can make to catch up.
wearthefoxhat

Without stating the obvious, Smith was the difference for sure. However, England's bowling was limited due to Anderson being rules out completely and Archer not bowling the fastest due to a slight knock. He also had to cope mentally with nearly "killing" Smith with the bouncer in an earlier test. He was told to focus on line and length after that as well.

Add in the mix, in the last test, Stokes had a shoulder injury and couldn't bowl.

In summary, Australia weren't firing 100% themselves, but their bowlers had enough savvy to do enough to win.
Emmson

Flat graphs for the 5th test at the Oval starting Thursday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aus cricket trader

Looking at backing the draw here at 7.
The Oval has had a lot of 400 run + innings the last few matches and half the county champ matches this season have ended in a draw.
Looking like sunny weather which may compliment batting conditions.
Will look to trade out after a decent first innings total if goes to plan.
greenmark

Roy and Overton dropped.
I'm sure I'd seen they were selected, does that mean in the squad but not playing unless someone gets injured?
Anyway, adds some intterest to see how Curran takes his chance and Woakes has another stab at it.
Emmson

We are not yet at 1/2 way through day 2 of 5 and already 47 mill matched.
greenmark

2.00 for England looks generous if you expect Smith to repeat his previous performances.
And thats what I'm expecting.
From what I've seen he's a machine, great coordination but his shot selection, discipline and adjustment when he detects a weakness (getting clobbered by Archer) is an example for players at any level.

Return to “Betfair Cricket trading”