The Ashes - August/September 2019

T20, IPL, Test matches or the Ashes, discuss it here.
Emmson

Very good 1st session for Australia.
greenmark

Emmson wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:03 pm
Very good 1st session for Australia.
Yeah, very soild after a terrible start.
I think Warner's problems so far really put Smith's brilliance into sharp relief.
Both had a year out, but Smith is back to his best.
I feel a bit sorry for Warner. I believe in redemption, but he hasn't been able to get it together with the bat. Catching pretty stellar though.
brimson25

Testing times for draw layers. :?
Berts Certs

brimson25 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:35 pm
Testing times for draw layers. :?
A few showers again for Thursday then some early rain that will probably be mostly gone by lunch, otherwise set fair.
Not sure these two outfits need more than 3 days total to complete a match. May be some value in laying the draw once it gets traded down a bit more, it is usually over done.
JTEDL

Deja vu - couple of early wickets and looking good .....but then can't get Smith out :roll:
greenmark

Smith is the most extraordinarily disciplined leaver of balls he doesn't like I've ever seen. This is like get the other 10 out cos he's an immovable object and we have no irresistable force.
Emmson

Smith is beyond great and now can be called very great!

Unless rain curtails play tomorrow I doubt this will be a draw train.

EDIT

Literally as I pressed submit Eng lose a wicket.
Emmson

Closing in on 50 million matched on day 2, very good considering there is other cricket going on. Could have a 100 million matched test match? *pleasing*
Berts Certs

Emmson wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm

EDIT

I agree, I don't see England batting for the next 3 days, which is pretty much what they have to do.
greenmark

Berts Certs wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 pm
Emmson wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 pm

EDIT

I agree, I don't see England batting for the next 3 days, which is pretty much what they have to do.
Smith is brilliant, no question. Will be fascinating to see whether the new England order produces anything like his level of discipline.
I predict Roy at 4 will make no difference. He'll slash at every bluebottle.
Lutruwita

My favourite part was when the English crowd booed Smith when he was out for 118, only for him to stroll back and make another hundred. Amusingly, a few bright sparks, who hadn't yet gone home, continued booing as he strolled past 200. The booing hadn't worked for the previous 600-odd runs, but kudos for sticking at it. Showed great bravery. Almost as much fight as the British parliament.

Archer has been very chirpy in the media for someone who has played two Tests. Perhaps he could have focused on his own game as he bowled like Boycott's grandmother. Maybe play a few seasons before you strut around like Ambrose? He will be at his most effective in 2-3 Test series.

Can England fluke it again? The pitch is still good to bat on, but despite the arctic conditions, boy that pitch looks dry. Lyon, who has been poor since Birmingham, should be well suited. He is at his most dangerous when there's some pace and bounce, rather than slow turn. I wouldn't be surprised to see England needing to bat the last 4 sessions, with an extra 30 mins on Day 4 and 5. If this pitch retains its bounce, it will be a much tougher proposition day 4 and 5 than Headingly. Lyon needs to redeem himself somewhat. I think he may. Judging by the fact Specsavers got a few to straighten, it's already taking more turn.

Big innings coming up for Root. He hasn't scored a century in his last 17 innings in Ashes cricket. Meanwhile Smith has 7 in the same period. He needs a ton; not a tidy 50. It's hard to bat knowing you can only draw. Who knows how Roy will play.
greenmark

Barmy army sound like they're getting well lubricated. Cheering Lyon as he catches the ball before each ball he bowls. I imagine Lyon will use it as motivation.
wearthefoxhat

Today has been nice smooth swing trading for the draw (B2L).
wearthefoxhat

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:06 pm
Today has been nice smooth swing trading for the draw (B2L).

Since last post, 1.70 to 1.46 in an hour or so.

draw.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Roy is in. Now peeping through hands over face!!!

Return to “Betfair Cricket trading”