Trading Greyhound racing

We've gone to the dogs.
Anbell

chasgeez wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am
Has anyone got a good tool to extract data from greyhound bet? I'm no good at coding and don't have enough time left on this earth to go through it manually.
Excel / Text to columns
bernal

Hi im testing something in PRACTICE MODE in greyhounds, but only SP bets and 1min before the off with fixed liability (100gbp) , since all know greyhound don't go in play, my SP bets just dont get the SP prices because market goes from open to suspended, , any solution for this ?
ShaunWhite

bernal wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:05 pm
Hi im testing something in PRACTICE MODE in greyhounds, but only SP bets and 1min before the off with fixed liability (100gbp) , since all know greyhound don't go in play, my SP bets just dont get the SP prices because market goes from open to suspended, , any solution for this ?
Place your back bets at 1000, or lays at 1.01, and then change the bet status to 'Take SP ". When the market suspends it will be settled at the SP.

You'll either need to use an approximate stake for the liability, or, a more sophisticated version is to cancel and replace your TakeSP bet if the estimated BSP changes significantly. BSP will be for all intents and purposes the last traded price at the off. So you keep adjusting (cancel/replace) the stake on your TakeSP bet until whenever the market suspends using the current price to determine your liability.
PeterLe

Bumped into a neighbour (from an adjacent street) recently and she was telling me how they used to own a couple of greyhounds and some of the stories...
So thought Id try and model it..Ive just been running a backtest on the Greyhounds..(dataset 18000 markets)
Newcastle and Sunderland stand out as tracks Id want to miss as they are negative on this lay strategy (maybe a bit of over fitting an/or variance :D )

If any of you trade these (automated) on a regular basis are there any tracks you would stay well clear of (hypothesis is that there shady characters in the sport :D )?
Thanks in advance
regards
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sniffer66

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:46 am
Bumped into a neighbour (from an adjacent street) recently and she was telling me how they used to own a couple of greyhounds and some of the stories...
So thought Id try and model it..Ive just been running a backtest on the Greyhounds..(dataset 18000 markets)
Newcastle and Sunderland stand out as tracks Id want to miss as they are negative on this lay strategy (maybe a bit of over fitting an/or variance :D )

If any of you trade these (automated) on a regular basis are there any tracks you would stay well clear of (hypothesis is that there shady characters in the sport :D )?
Thanks in advance
regards
Peter
Interesting Peter. I'm running a similar exercise on straight lays. Have 15k race cards in the dataset, downloaded in JSON from RP and crunching the data now. Still waiting on a few runs to finish.
I'm scoring based on 5000 different weighting permutations based purely on previous 5 race stats, plus a few averages of my own. Looks like there's an edge there, but not huge.
I'll keep you posted on results to see if there are any tracks that come up consistently negative
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterLe

Thanks For that
I've kicked it off anyway, nothing like testing with real cash :D
sniffer66

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:26 am
Thanks For that
I've kicked it off anyway, nothing like testing with real cash :D
You using BSP in your sim ? I am but didn't want to put live yet at BF min Lay, without a little more testing. I'm guessing it's swings and roundabouts taking a few secs before the off over BSP
PeterLe

No using actual odds at post time. I wouldnt have thought that there was much difference
sniffer66

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:38 am
No using actual odds at post time. I wouldnt have thought that there was much difference
Yeah, that was my assumption
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:46 am
I do the dogs, all tracks and all dogs treated the same.

The days of a dodgy tracks and guys like Harry Findlay driving 70 miles to have a quite bet died when they invented the internet. There's too many eyes on the game for dogs to be silly prices, it's why he gave up.

It would be nice to see that 18000 markets analysed on 9000 random races and tested on the remaining 9000. If there's corellation then go for it, otherwise its backfitted.
ShaunWhite

sniffer66 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 am
I'm guessing it's swings and roundabouts taking a few secs before the off over BSP
Why not just take SP? If you're taking a price at/near the start you'll be losing 1/2 a tick vs SP. You'll probably get more matched too because the ATB and ATL can be pretty small.
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:49 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 am
I'm guessing it's swings and roundabouts taking a few secs before the off over BSP
Why not just take SP? If you're taking a price at/near the start you'll be losing 1/2 a tick vs SP. You'll probably get more matched too because the ATB and ATL can be pretty small.
Purely a risk issue. Until I'm very confident I don't want to risk a tenner a lay.
ShaunWhite

That's a fair point 66, one of the perils of an SP strategy is having to risk a decent amount or risk not quite executing the way you'd like.

It might be a good opportunity to run the sp version (paper traded with data) alongside what you're doing and get a comparison?
sniffer66

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:03 pm
That's a fair point 66, one of the perils of an SP strategy is having to risk a decent amount or risk not quite executing the way you'd like.

It might be a good opportunity to run the sp version (paper traded with data) alongside what you're doing and get a comparison?
Good call. I'll try that and see
Fugazi

I've been making money on greyhounds!! Ive done 3 long days of trading in it to test over a reasonable volume.

Sadly, its at £1 stakes and my eyeballs hurt.

Seems a lot simpler to me than whats been said on the thread...I assume the catch is that when I try up my stakes to anything significant i'll end up with a lot of partial matches and mess up my strategy...

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”