Trading Greyhound racing

We've gone to the dogs.
ANGELS15

Jukebox wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:34 am
BF slow to suspend the 10:31 at Romford - dogs halfway around before suspension
Did they void the bets/trades on the race? I recall a few years ago I had a succesfull trade on a dog race but Betfair forgot to suspend the market and voided all bets.
spreadbetting

ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:12 pm
Jukebox wrote:
Did they void the bets/trades on the race? I recall a few years ago I had a succesfull trade on a dog race but Betfair forgot to suspend the market and voided all bets.
They settled as usual no voided bets, was settled at 10.33 so doubt they'd even noticed they suspended late.
ANGELS15

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:42 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:12 pm
Jukebox wrote:
They settled as usual no voided bets, was settled at 10.33 so doubt they'd even noticed they suspended late.
It seems likely they settled it as normal as they managed to suspend it before the race finished. I think in my case they had forgotten to suspend it altogether.
Emmson

That is a damn nuisance when a dog meeting is delayed and you only learn afterwards and you've been trading that meeting. :roll:
Anbell

puntinrolls wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 am
You (your bot) have a back bet in the market, I think you have 3 options.

1. Do nothing
2. Green up
3. Take SP

I'd like to here peoples opinions/thoughts/advice on what's standard In this scenario or perhaps it doesn't matter to much.
Depending on a few things but:
1 is more expensive than 2 in terms of commission
2 is more expensive than Reverse Greening
puntinrolls

Anbell wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 pm
puntinrolls wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:55 am
You (your bot) have a back bet in the market, I think you have 3 options.

1. Do nothing
2. Green up
3. Take SP

I'd like to here peoples opinions/thoughts/advice on what's standard In this scenario or perhaps it doesn't matter to much.
Depending on a few things but:
1 is more expensive than 2 in terms of commission
2 is more expensive than Reverse Greening
Thanks, I think I have an idea on how to move forward.
Swamidee

I have to say, as yet another would-be trader (for more years than I care to admit!) How completely frustrading (pun intended) it can be, especially on the GH markets. Yes, I see the patterns and swings, but I don’t know of anyone in the history of sports trading that can equal my ability to place themselves on the wrong side of a trade so brutally consistently… oh yes, and then continue blindly to follow that loss into the abyss of bankroll disintigration!
And how on this earth the market forms around certain favourites is beyond me.
Despite Spending hours scanning Timeform, stats (that has proven fruitful at times,) which has proven most often to be utterly ineffectual.
Suffice to say today has been truly rotten, and I hear Peters words to focus on the positives and agree it’s the place to be. (grrr).. But when you’ve picked yourself up off the trading floor for the umpteenth time, your spirit has a tendency to flag.
I have attempted to trade pre-off for and long time, a very long time. I research, listen, watch and head all the wisdom here, but just at the moment I want to scream ‘What the hell am I doing wrong?’
Sorry for the rant-style post, I know where I find myself today will be familiar to many. I Do appreciate everything everyone does in support here. A great place. Thanks everyone.
Ever onward..?? maybe.
D
ljr

have to say, as yet another would-be trader (for more years than I care to admit!) How completely frustrading (pun intended) it can be, especially on the GH markets. Yes, I see the patterns and swings, but I don’t know of anyone in the history of sports trading that can equal my ability to place themselves on the wrong side of a trade so brutally consistently… oh yes, and then continue blindly to follow that loss into the abyss of bankroll disintigration!
Despite Spending hours scanning Timeform, stats (that has proven fruitful at times,) which has proven most often to be utterly ineffectual.
Suffice to say today has been truly rotten, and I hear Peters words to focus on the positives and agree it’s the place to be. (grrr).. But when you’ve picked yourself up off the trading floor for the umpteenth time, your spirit has a tendency to flag.
I have attempted to trade pre-off for and long time, a very long time. I research, listen, watch and head all the wisdom here, but just at the moment I want to scream ‘What the hell am I doing wrong?’
Sorry for the rant-style post, I know where I find myself today will be familiar to many. I Do appreciate everything everyone does in support here. A great place. Thanks everyone.
Ever onward..?? maybe.
D

+1
napshnap

Swamidee wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:21 am
Ever onward..?? maybe.
D
Read this huge thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20298.
It may give you a few thoughts.
Swamidee

Swamidee wrote: ↑
Ever onward..?? maybe.
D
Read this huge thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20298.
It may give you a few thoughts.
Thanks Nashnap, Oh if life were that simple! Been there, done that, and still do. For sure works fine if all the bots are snoozing, and the world and his wife have decided not to trade that day. It's a sound tactic, but alas most often by the time you are matched the value mark is usually way exceeded, then when some wise guy with fathomless pockets dumps an order on t'other side, well, you are left somewhat scantily clad, so to speak. This trading game is full of nuance and subtly, sure simplicity at times but there is a big intuitive element to it.
I recall a tutorial where Peter-the-Wizard talks about the market knocking you around, and it really can feel like that. Must be fabulous to feel in control and have honed that sense as best one can. Here's hoping.. and thanks again, you kindness is much appreciated.
D
goat68

Swamidee wrote:
I have to say, as yet another would-be trader (for more years than I care to admit!) How completely frustrading (pun intended) it can be, especially on the GH markets. Yes, I see the patterns and swings, but I don’t know of anyone in the history of sports trading that can equal my ability to place themselves on the wrong side of a trade so brutally consistently… oh yes, and then continue blindly to follow that loss into the abyss of bankroll disintigration!
Ever onward..?? maybe.
D
I feel the same, even though i've only been going 9 months on pre-race horses, I just can't see what I am missing, and I totally understand your frustrated comments, I keep getting knocked down after knock down, it's hard to stay positive. For example my automation bot did great last week it made a profit for the week (+£4.55, small stakes!), but yesterday it gave it ALL back (-£4.84)... so i'm in dumpster mood again this morning... but hey oh maybe it will make it all back again today (think positive!)
Archery1969

Swamidee wrote:
Ever onward..?? maybe.
D
Hi,

When trading greyhounds, you should always offer your own odds and never take the odds on offer unless your attempting to green-up.

Before the real money enters the markets you can have allot of fun pushing the bot market makers around.

- From 00:10:00 to 00:01:00 place Back trades at Lay_Price -1 (You decide on selection criteria)
- From 00:10:00 to 00:01:00 place Lay trades at Back_Price +1 (You decide on selection criteria)
- From 00:00:50 to 00:00:40 place Geen-up trades at reverse odds.
- From 00:00:30 to 00:00:00 place Green-up trades at current odds,

Have fun,
Swamidee

Hi,

When trading greyhounds, you should always offer your own odds and never take the odds on offer unless your attempting to green-up.

Before the real money enters the markets you can have allot of fun pushing the bot market makers around.

- From 00:10:00 to 00:01:00 place Back trades at Lay_Price -1 (You decide on selection criteria)
- From 00:10:00 to 00:01:00 place Lay trades at Back_Price +1 (You decide on selection criteria)

Have fun,
I am somewhat savvy :lol: to the markets and never (read rarely) take a price on offer, unless it seems like crazy value, Today was ok ... for a brief spell... but as per the market took me by the you-know-whats and had it's wicked way with me!
I get what you're alluding to above, but it seems irrespective of criteria we use the critical point in trading is knowing when to jump ship, and conversely when to let a position run
As we all know It can be one singular tick difference. Kicking ourself if bailing too early - cursing if too late. This for me is the fine line between success and failure and surely comes with knowing the probable movements of the markets. Its all deceptively fluid. Intriguingly so. (The market -She is a cruel temptress indeed)
Maybe it is my jaded vibe just at the minute. Its still thrilling to get a string of great results, even with tiny stakes, but heart-breaking when it all comes crashing.
I still take inspiration from all you Guys & Gals.
Many thanks for the input and advice - much appreciated.
D
Oh, forgot to mention I hopped over to the Nags and had positive trades on all but one market - albeit for minuscule sums. Still, I'll take it!
Archery1969

Swamidee wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:43 pm
Hi,

Have fun,
I am somewhat savvy :lol: to the markets and never (read rarely) take a price on offer, unless it seems like crazy value, Today was ok ... for a brief spell... but as per the market took me by the you-know-whats and had it's wicked way with me!
I get what you're alluding to above, but it seems irrespective of criteria we use the critical point in trading is knowing when to jump ship, and conversely when to let a position run
As we all know It can be one singular tick difference. Kicking ourself if bailing too early - cursing if too late. This for me is the fine line between success and failure and surely comes with knowing the probable movements of the markets. Its all deceptively fluid. Intriguingly so. (The market -She is a cruel temptress indeed)
Maybe it is my jaded vibe just at the minute. Its still thrilling to get a string of great results, even with tiny stakes, but heart-breaking when it all comes crashing.
I still take inspiration from all you Guys & Gals.
Many thanks for the input and advice - much appreciated.
D
Oh, forgot to mention I hopped over to the Nags and had positive trades on all but one market - albeit for minuscule sums. Still, I'll take it!
One part of my selection criteria is:

If selections back_price < (100 / selections_volume_%) then enter a lay trade @ back_price + 1
if selections lay_price > (100 / selections_volume_%) then enter a back trade @ lay_price - 1

Obviously thats not the whole picture but not far off.

:)
rik

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:54 pm
Swamidee wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:43 pm
Hi,

If selections back_price < (100 / selections_volume_%) then enter a lay trade @ back_price + 1
if selections lay_price > (100 / selections_volume_%) then enter a back trade @ lay_price - 1

Obviously thats not the whole picture but not far off.

:)
why??

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”