MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 pm
last 7 we 22.12.19.JPG

since Friday afternoon
Very nice, well done.
MemphisFlash

getting better

last 7 we 22.12.19.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archery1969

MemphisFlash wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:17 pm
getting better

last 7 we 22.12.19.JPG
wow, awesome stuff there. :)
TipTopTrader

MemphisFlash wrote:
getting better

last 7 we 22.12.19.JPG
Shout out the the darts as well :D
firlandsfarm

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:21 pm
People still argue or try to pick holes in stuff I've done or comments that I've made and I've spent 20 years of my life doing this! Or sometimes call them riddles, but in reality, you can't compress 20 years of experience into a one-liner easily. You just have to give succinct advice based on your knowledge.

It's so easy to pick holes in anything, that's dead easy. But trading is about looking for an opportunity, not trying to find a reason not to trade. By its very nature, it's ambiguous as well. But that's what appeals to me.

So I've come to the conclusion that you can't force people to understand what you are saying. You have to rely on people finding it. I think others reach the same conclusion, it's not an attempt to mislead, it's just difficult to compress knowledge into a digestible chunk.
I read all you write on a subject I'm interested in Euler and watch all the vids but it never comes right (profitable)! I can't even get the simplest scalp right and therefore steer away from trading and prefer stats and systems. Even my attempts at the easiest of scalps fails. I find stable markets wait for me to place a pair of bets and then the instant I place them one is matched and the other has immediately become 3 or 4 ticks out of the market. It's as if someone has a bot looking for my bets!

It's not a matter of trying to pick a hole in what any of the experienced contributors here say and certainly not a matter of doubting what you and they clearly do very successfully. Some people have the skill to read a market but I accept I just don't have it.

I used to swing trade securities, never a scalper nor a day trader, and make a small profit from that side of my investments … maybe it's the short-term nature of betting markets, they have much more severe short-term movements compared to mainline share prices and perhaps mostly the finality of the end of the race that I can't overcome. You just don't get that in share markets.

Am I correct in thinking you were a financial markets trader? What type of markets were you active in and how did you make the change to your thinking?
Last edited by firlandsfarm on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
SweetLyrics

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am
I read all you write on a subject I'm interested in Euler and watch all the vids but it never comes right (profitable)! I can't even get the simplest scalp right and therefore steer away from trading and prefer stats and systems.
I think it's good you raised that, because it raises an interesting question: How can people become profitable from the videos that Peter and others put out there?

Maybe it's just a case of practising until you get an intuitive feel for when a particular technique is appropriate, but I wonder if there is more to it than that.

I think that a lot of people struggle with making this game work, and it's not always due to lack of application or due to them making silly psychology-based mistakes like not cutting their losses. I think that there is a skills gap (although I'm not sure how you bridge that gap - for obvious reasons, Peter's videos, excellent as they are, can't give away the 'secret sauce' or it wouldn't be secret (or useful!) for very long!).

Perhaps the key is to look for the inefficiency that appears to be being exploited, and ask yourself: 'How can I exploit this in a systematic way, either through automated trading or through determining using my judgement when suitable conditions apply to exploit it?'. I think it's also important to have an entrepreneurial spirit, and whilst learning from the pros, finding your own way of doing things through trial and error, as I don't think it's possible to succeed using a 'paint by numbers' approach, copying a video.
jimibt

SweetLyrics wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:42 am
... and whilst learning from the pros, finding your own way of doing things through trial and error, as I don't think it's possible to succeed using a 'paint by numbers' approach, copying a video.
this in effect sums up the 90% + of folks that appear and just as suddenly disappear overnight on this forum. naming no names of course (cough - JustLuke$%^& etc) ;)

in short, observation, motivation and application all need to be sideshifted in order to OWN your unique TAKE on any inefficiency spotted.
firlandsfarm

SweetLyrics wrote:
I think it's good you raised that, because it raises an interesting question: How can people become profitable from the videos that Peter and others put out there?
I don't think you can be successful from just watching the videos. They show you what you can do to make a penny or two but they don't actually show you how to do it. And no that's not an oxymoron, showing what buttons to press is a tiny fraction of what you need to know, knowing when to press them is the key.
SweetLyrics wrote:
Maybe it's just a case of practising until you get an intuitive feel for when a particular technique is appropriate, but I wonder if there is more to it than that.

I think that a lot of people struggle with making this game work, and it's not always due to lack of application or due to them making silly psychology-based mistakes like not cutting their losses. I think that there is a skills gap (although I'm not sure how you bridge that gap - for obvious reasons, Peter's videos, excellent as they are, can't give away the 'secret sauce' or it wouldn't be secret (or useful!) for very long!).
Joe Root can show me how to score a century in a Test Match and I can have as much application as the next man and practice more than any but I don't think I could ever score a century in a Test Match. Some people can look at a series of numbers and see a pattern that may be mixed with random or other number sets while others cannot see how a Fibonacci sequence is derived. I think it could be more than a skills gap, it could be a plain simple ability gap and that's not to say some are stupid, we all have abilities but some abilities are more pronounced in some than others (David Beckham's right foot for example).

I think there is a sporting analogy here. In many sports when players actively play against each other the difference between a world class player and a good player can often be anticipation. They just have an uncanny ability to sense what's coming next. They intuitively know where the pass will be made or if the next ball will be an in-swinger … or which way the market will move next. They don't get it right every time. I think it was Lord Stokes who said his job was to be right 51% of the time (unfortunately as the head of British Leyland he fell short!). And I guess profitable trading on Betfair is having that ability to 'sense' the same 51% or more of the time.

The question is can you learn to 'sense' something or is it an instinctive ability to do so. If you can put it down on paper as a set of conditions and identify those conditions on the battlefield then yes, it can be learned but if you can't see they occurred until after they have then it's too late. An example would be that when one price moves in one or more other prices will move out … yes we know that, that's obvious, but the moves happen simultaneously so by the time you say "oh look that price has moved in" the other prices have already moved out.
firlandsfarm

MemphisFlash wrote:
getting better
All kneel to the altar of the God of darts! Amazing. This forum has opened my eyes in many ways and seeing the number of markets that are being exploited profitably by some contributors is the best.
SweetLyrics

That raises an interesting question - is Peter's feel for the market a bit like Beckham's feel for taking a free kick - something that can be improved with practice and instruction, but quite possibly mainly due to a special talent that he was born with?
firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 pm
I think it could be more than a skills gap, it could be a plain simple ability gap and that's not to say some are stupid, we all have abilities but some abilities are more pronounced in some than others (David Beckham's right foot for example).
Kai

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 pm
SweetLyrics wrote:
I don't think you can be successful from just watching the videos. They show you what you can do to make a penny or two but they don't actually show you how to do it. And no that's not an oxymoron, showing what buttons to press is a tiny fraction of what you need to know, knowing when to press them is the key.
No chance to become successful from videos alone no matter their quality, for most inexperienced people out there Peter might as well be speaking Klingon, everything will sound too alien and too abstract to them without having any genuine experience in the markets. Many will try to copy the approaches but without the full understanding of the concepts and the markets behind them they are most likely going to struggle.

I think only experienced and aspiring traders can reap the full benefits of such videos, because every word will make perfect sense.
Archery1969

Going back to the original OP...

When it comes to greyhounds, if the favourite ina race is priced 4 or above 2 mins from the start and market volume is higher than 3k then it’s pretty simple to scalp the top 3 in those races.
firlandsfarm

SweetLyrics wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:56 pm
That raises an interesting question - is Peter's feel for the market a bit like Beckham's feel for taking a free kick - something that can be improved with practice and instruction, but quite possibly mainly due to a special talent that he was born with?
Could be, must say I wasn't wanting to make a comparison between Peter's brain and Beckham's foot! :lol: :lol: :lol: and should we be factoring in the famous metatarsal?
ShaunWhite

It's not just horses that have better odds on Betfair.
11:06 Hove
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetLyrics

https://www.timeform.com/greyhound-raci ... dgar/42989

And wins!

I hope you had a bet on, Shaun! :)
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:34 pm
It's not just horses that have better odds on Betfair.
11:06 Hove
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_3.png

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”