Betfair SP database -Useful or Useless?

We've gone to the dogs.
ilovepizza82

Has anyone ever been able to find any good system using solely betfair SP ? (greyhounds)
https://promo.betfair.com/betfairsp/prices
...or is it just waste of time and its just useless piece of crap ?
Does anyone actually use it like...at all ?
Anbell

I think the folk at RaceStatsApp use it
ilovepizza82

But i think if he had found smth interesting he wouldnt be offering his app services right now :)
ShaunWhite

All information is useful to an extent but those free files are used by thousands of people so you probably won't find much in them. If you want useful data either get the PRO data and/or start collecting something niche.
ilovepizza82

Whats in the PRO ver ?
And how much does it cost ?
ShaunWhite

ilovepizza82 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:45 pm
Whats in the PRO ver ?
And how much does it cost ?
First link when you google 'betfair data' https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home
decomez6

try this site. they have sp and in play data.

https://www.racing-bet-data.com/data.asp
ilovepizza82

Thanks guys !
Appreciate it !
Euler

Don't use data like a drunk uses a lamppost. For support, rather than illumination.
ilovepizza82

Got it :)
Thanks Peter.

WHere does the "illumination" come from tho ?
shakey1964

Hi All
I have been slowwwwwly putting together a spreadsheet that may help anyone thinking of laying the fav on UK greyhounds
The attached excel file only has January 2021 stats in it at present but is throwing some interesting figures out
To explain my findings it is important to point out the following points
The sheet named January 2021 has been created from all the "dwbfgreyhoundwinxxxxxxxx.csv files from the website that Ilovepizza refers to for January of 2021
I have deleted all AUS and NZL races and have also deleted all "non favourite dogs records" leaving just the favs for the races, their BSP and some other stuff. (trap number, volume of money, etc.)
The summary sheet can be manipulated to determine the p/l on laying the fav at distance, track, trap number, or race class.
I havnt protected the workbook so if you down load it be careful to only change the entries in cells N5 - N8. These are changed by a drop box
The p/l is determined by the stake amount in cell O1
The P/L figures in cells o6-8 will show green for profit and red for loss and they are totally independent of the other stats. I am still trying to figure out how to get a P/L for a dog that ran at x track over xxx distance in a xx class race so if any bright excel boffin can shine a light I will gladly share this with them for a direct edit to benefit other members.
If anyone has any questions please pm me
just as a started for 10 the profit /Loss in January if you laid all the 3983 favorites at minimum Betfair stake of 2 quid you woud only be 25 quid down
If on the other hand you only laid favs at the Newcastle track then you would have been 77 of the queens sterling pound in profit
More months to come now that I have sussed the basic procedures
Laying the fav greyhound 2021.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shakey1964

Over the last 3 days (Sat 5 feb 22 to Monday 7th Feb 22) I have run a basic lay the fav automation on UK greyhound races covering a blanket system without selecting any race criteria to a £1.00 stake to get a record of the races that favs generally win or more importantly lose and have a running profit of around 20 quid I attach my betting p/l logs from betfair below
laying the fav 1.xlsx
laying the fav 2.xlsx
laying the fav 3.xlsx
file 1 is saturday 5th feb
file 2 is sunday 6th feb
file 3 is Monday 7th feb
After 39 races so far today I am currently breaking even
I will post todays blanket run in the morning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shakey1964

Just as a footnote for today and a sort of answer to the pizza loving originator of the post as to whether or not the files are useful or useless, a factor I havn't looked at yet but is included in the files is the volume of money matched on the favourite in relation to the second favourite or the rest of the field in respect of "wisdom of the crowds"
for isnstance if the volume of money on the favourite is vastly disproportionate to the rest of the field should the lay be avoided?
If, when you are making a more complex automation file, can this be factored in to the conditions. This question is directed at Dallas more than anyone else as it seems he is the total oracle on this type of thing
Dallas

shakey1964 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:56 pm
Just as a footnote for today and a sort of answer to the pizza loving originator of the post as to whether or not the files are useful or useless, a factor I havn't looked at yet but is included in the files is the volume of money matched on the favourite in relation to the second favourite or the rest of the field in respect of "wisdom of the crowds"
for isnstance if the volume of money on the favourite is vastly disproportionate to the rest of the field should the lay be avoided?
If, when you are making a more complex automation file, can this be factored in to the conditions. This question is directed at Dallas more than anyone else as it seems he is the total oracle on this type of thing
Yes it can be factored in, the way to do it would be to use stored values and store a value of the 'a selections traded volume'
you'd need to do this for the fav and 2nd fav

Then you'd add a third stored value which would subtract the stored value of the 2nd fav from the stored value of the fav
giving you a stored value of the volume difference

Your lay bet rule can then use a Stored value condition to test the stored value named 'difference' (or whatever you called it) is less or greater than your specified amount

Another option is the same steps as above but instead of storing a selections traded volume you store the volume % of a selection
This gives you a relative comparison to work from (ie, favs traded volume % is 10% greater than the 2nd favs volume%) rather than fixed values which might not always be met each market
shakey1964

Yes it can be factored in, the way to do it would be to use stored values and store a value of the 'a selections traded volume'
you'd need to do this for the fav and 2nd fav

Then you'd add a third stored value which would subtract the stored value of the 2nd fav from the stored value of the fav
giving you a stored value of the volume difference

Your lay bet rule can then use a Stored value condition to test the stored value named 'difference' (or whatever you called it) is less or greater than your specified amount

Another option is the same steps as above but instead of storing a selections traded volume you store the volume % of a selection
This gives you a relative comparison to work from (ie, favs traded volume % is 10% greater than the 2nd favs volume%) rather than fixed values which might not always be met each market
🤯 Thanks Dallas
You have just made my brain melt
Just done a 13 hour day behind the wheel and will have to break down what you just said into very little bits :lol:

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”