Abandonded meetings 17.06.2022

We've gone to the dogs.
getagrip68

Due to the high temps Central Park, Romford and Towcester have been called off today.
napshnap

getagrip68 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:24 pm
Due to the high temps Central Park, Romford and Towcester have been called off today.
Thanks, not much racing today and bf hesitated to add crayford to card! Grrr!
Cipobotter

I came here for this information.
Thanks a lot!
getagrip68

Tralee has been added to the RPGTV schedule but I doubt there'll be much liquidity.
eightbo

Traded the first at Tralee just out of curiosity.

20 tick spreads <60s to the off. Free dosh; is that what it feels like to trade at bookmaker prices?
getagrip68

eightbo wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 am

20 tick spreads <60s to the off. Free dosh; is that what it feels like to trade at bookmaker prices?
I recall being at Dundalk one evening whilst on holiday for a 'normal' Irish meeting (lots of owner/trainers etc.), the bookies generally went:

1. Evens
2. 2/1
3. 2/1
4. 2/1
5. 2/1
6. 2/1

Folk were still wandering up with a roll of Euro's while the bookies called out 'take the value'.
napshnap

getagrip68 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:12 pm
eightbo wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 am

I recall being at Dundalk one evening whilst on holiday for a 'normal' Irish meeting (lots of owner/trainers etc.), the bookies generally went:

1. Evens
2. 2/1
3. 2/1
4. 2/1
5. 2/1
6. 2/1

Folk were still wandering up with a roll of Euro's while the bookies called out 'take the value'.
Haha, it's like...

1. Fck you very much!
2. Fck you!
3. Fck you!
4. Fck you!
5. Fck you!
6. Fck you!

Truly greed knows no bounds.
eightbo

That book is quite shocking.  You don't have to look very far to spot punters betting at bad value, you can really sense there are so many out there that either don't know or care about the concept of value, and put their cash on the line at bad prices.

I've always felt that on the exchange it's been hard to capture the other side of that inevitable 'not so smart' money which comes into the markets.
You can still sort of find it in places and often you're not the first through the door but you're often still taking on a decent chunk of risk for the proposition unlike how these bookies are operating just arbing margin with a near-100% strike rate. Kind of comical.

At least we win on pride :lol:'
jamesedwards

I once saw a BAGS book that opened:
5/2
5/2
5/2
5/2
5/2
7/2

165% book.
napshnap

eightbo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:41 pm
I've always felt that on the exchange it's been hard to capture the other side of that inevitable 'not so smart' money which comes into the markets.
You can still sort of find it in places and often you're not the first through the door but you're often still taking on a decent chunk of risk for the proposition unlike how these bookies are operating just arbing margin with a near-100% strike rate. Kind of comical.

At least we win on pride :lol:'
Hmmm... The Goal is to find where the market is ineffective, when those 'not so smart' money make it ineffective. The very primitive example is these guys with relatively big banks sitting tens ticks from LTP (or VWAP or whatever that proved to be effective indicator for them) catching "the Bomber". And I think they're acting very much alike bookies by doing this.
ShaunWhite

eightbo wrote:
You don't have to look very far to spot punters betting at bad value, you can really sense there are so many out there that either don't know or care about the concept of value, and put their cash on the line at bad prices. :lol:'
I think they do care about value but massively overestimate their own judgement. And it's all compounded buy the fact the outcome is binary, it will win or it will lose. Whispers are usually will or won't rather than might, so faced with a secret nailed on winner tip, almost no price is too low and if the tip is correct then maybe that's the case....in their minds anyway.
napshnap

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:38 pm
eightbo wrote:
You don't have to look very far to spot punters betting at bad value, you can really sense there are so many out there that either don't know or care about the concept of value, and put their cash on the line at bad prices. :lol:'
I think they do care about value but massively overestimate their own judgement. And it's all compounded buy the fact the outcome is binary, it will win or it will lose. Whispers are usually will or won't rather than might, so faced with a secret nailed on winner tip, almost no price is too low and if the tip is correct then maybe that's the case....in their minds anyway.
That's a good train of thought if they rarely buy something, like a vintage car, yes it corroded and rats ate seat upholstery, but this is that legendary car you heard and thought so much!
But if it's an everyday routine shopping, then they just buy rotten potatoes every time :) .

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”