Greyhound information in database format

We've gone to the dogs.
zmeulescu

Hi guys!

Is there any service that provides greyhounds data (historical as well as daily racecards) in database format? I am usually checking the Timeform greyhound racecards and such information would be of great help translated into Excel.

I asume Timeform data could be web scraped, but I don't know a thing about web scraping.

Thank you,
Paul
The Silk Run

zmeulescu wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:42 pm
Hi guys!

Is there any service that provides greyhounds data (historical as well as daily racecards) in database format? I am usually checking the Timeform greyhound racecards and such information would be of great help translated into Excel.

I asume Timeform data could be web scraped, but I don't know a thing about web scraping.

Thank you,
Paul
Hi Hi Paul
May I suggest you private message UN memfisflash. Tom is the Greyhound Tsar ....
Good Luck
Minnie LAI
zmeulescu

Thank you for your message and suggestion, Minnie! Will do so.

Best regards,
Paul
sniffer66

If it helps, I've looked everywhere for historical race cards but have never found any.
The problem with racecards is that they are a snapshot in time i.e previous last 5 race form etc

The best way I've found to get them is to download the cards in JSON format via the Racing Post API each day, saving them to disk, and then querying them in code that way. I have about 6 months worth now but with some additional formatting/metrics for my own use.

You'll need some coding ability to do the above but happy to point you in the right direction if you want to pm me
dropss81

This one is useful for excel power query
https://greyhoundstats.co.uk/
MemphisFlash

this is some of the info i have from guardian,
i do a lot of scraping also of various different things from 7 websites.

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zmeulescu

Thank you all for your replies!

Is there anyone here who uses Timeform race cards? I'm not sure I get all info therein correctly and I'd love to have the chance to chat about that, if possible.

Stay green!
chasgeez

Hi
Does anyone have a decent scraping tool? Want to get data off racing post to looking at dogs changing grades and a couple of stats to go with that.
MemphisFlash

chasgeez wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:53 pm
Hi
Does anyone have a decent scraping tool? Want to get data off racing post to looking at dogs changing grades and a couple of stats to go with that.
I use 2 bits of software, Octoparse and ParseHub, both free but have limitations.
i get round that by exporting and deleting files so i can bypass the 10 limit on octoparse
and the 5 limit on Parsehub.
MemphisFlash

zmeulescu wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:36 pm

Is there anyone here who uses Timeform race cards? I'm not sure I get all info therein correctly and I'd love to have the chance to chat about that, if possible.

Stay green!
I scrape timeform racecards every day

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MemphisFlash on Thu May 04, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MemphisFlash

Capture.PNG
chasgeez

MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:07 pm
chasgeez wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:53 pm
Hi
I use 2 bits of software, Octoparse and ParseHub, both free but have limitations.
i get round that by exporting and deleting files so i can bypass the 10 limit on octoparse
and the 5 limit on Parsehub.
Thank you. Now to see if my laptop can handle these without catching fire
MemphisFlash

Capture.PNG
stuffy

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:51 am
Capture.PNG
MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:11 pm
zmeulescu wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:36 pm

Stay green!
I scrape timeform racecards every day

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Hi, to do this, do you have to scrape each card one at a time?
MemphisFlash

no you set it going and it scrapes all cards for the day.
takes about 20 mins.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”