Greyhound Trainers Stats Question

We've gone to the dogs.
Space&Time

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but by asking it it'll save me going down a rabbit hole and wasting my time.

I've had a look at over at Greyhoundstats trainer data and see that almost all of them lose money to SP over the course of a year.

Almost all trainers dogs if backed with a £1 level stake over 1000 races would lose you £400- £500.

Where is the profit? I know it's not just as simple as laying blindly but I can't see what's going on.
Dallas

Is that the bookies SP your looking at (ie, the ISP)?
Space&Time

Dallas wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:09 pm
Hi Dallas,

I assumed that the Greyhound Stats site would have used BF SP in their trainer ratings.

Actually, https://greyhoundstats.co.uk/trainer_stats.php reading the column header again states Profit/Loss to £1 stake .

I assumed it be BF SP but it can't be can it and it has to be a bookie if no trainer over 1000 is in the green?
Dallas

Space&Time wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:25 pm
Dallas wrote:
Hi Dallas,

I assumed that the Greyhound Stats site would have used BF SP in their trainer ratings.

Actually, https://greyhoundstats.co.uk/trainer_stats.php reading the column header again states Profit/Loss to £1 stake .

I assumed it be BF SP but it can't be can it and it has to be a bookie if no trainer over 1000 is in the green?
Y, those are bookie/on-course starting prices on that site (hence they always win in the long run) :) ,
The BSP will be much higher in most cases erasing any potential profit from laying at SP on the exchange
Space&Time

Dallas wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:29 pm
Space&Time wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:25 pm
Dallas wrote:
Hi Dallas,

Y, those are bookie/on-course starting prices on that site (hence they always win in the long run) :) ,
The BSP will be much higher in most cases erasing any potential profit from laying at SP on the exchange

Yep, it didn't look right. Thanks for clarifying .
ShaunWhite

Sites always quote ISP (industry starting price) Betfair SP is a misleading one, it doesn't take much of a bet to move it. ISP is generally available.

But trainer performance is well known, I doubt any have a BSP that's in profit otherwise everyone would be on it and kill the edge.
Archery1969

Space&Time wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm
I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but by asking it it'll save me going down a rabbit hole and wasting my time.

I've had a look at over at Greyhoundstats trainer data and see that almost all of them lose money to SP over the course of a year.

Almost all trainers dogs if backed with a £1 level stake over 1000 races would lose you £400- £500.

Where is the profit? I know it's not just as simple as laying blindly but I can't see what's going on.
Have you tried Trainer stats against Trap bias by track ?
Space&Time

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:46 pm
Space&Time wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Have you tried Trainer stats against Trap bias by track ?
I have a ton of spare time right now so will have a dig around. Thanks.

Probably have a look at race distance but also curious about the track going ( +/- N) but can't see that data online for todays/tomorrow's cards. Perhaps thats a call to the track on the morning to get it.
Space&Time

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:10 pm
Sites always quote ISP (industry starting price) Betfair SP is a misleading one, it doesn't take much of a bet to move it. ISP is generally available.

But trainer performance is well known, I doubt any have a BSP that's in profit otherwise everyone would be on it and kill the edge.
Yep, thanks Shaun

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”