Formula 1

Any markets not covered in the other boards
greenmark

What on earth were the French thinking to stripe the course like that?
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:19 pm
Its actually a clever alternative to gravel traps, the surface is abrasive, and the red ones are more abrasive than the blue ones. If you run wide and lock a wheel while going over them it can really wreck your tyres.
Trader Pat

That's feels like a really significant win for Max. This was supposed to be the first of three tracks where Mercedes were fancied to do well.

EDIT: That actually makes me think Max is a little big for the Championship now.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:18 pm
greenmark wrote:
Its actually a clever alternative to gravel traps, the surface is abrasive, and the red ones are more abrasive than the blue ones. If you run wide and lock a wheel while going over them it can really wreck your tyres.
I have always suffered from motion sickness. Watchng that Grand Prix was a bit icky. But it was a decent chase. It would seem Red Bull still have an advantage. Lewis looks a bit rattled in his post race stuff. The changing of the guard?
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:23 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:18 pm
greenmark wrote:
I have always suffered from motion sickness. Watchng that Grand Prix was a bit icky. But it was a decent chase. It would seem Red Bull still have an advantage. Lewis looks a bit rattled in his post race stuff. The changing of the guard?
I think the banning of Mercedes' DAS system is hurting them more than they're letting on. Hamilton said at the start of the season that it wouldn't have much of an effect but I'm not so sure.
greenmark

Blimey, Mercedes (Lewis, Bottas, Toto) sound really downbeat. I know there's a lot of sandbagging in F1, but to admit you're 0.25-0.30 seconds a lap down on your opponent is some admission.
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:16 pm
Blimey, Mercedes (Lewis, Bottas, Toto) sound really downbeat. I know there's a lot of sandbagging in F1, but to admit you're 0.25-0.30 seconds a lap down on your opponent is some admission.
Yes that Honda engine has come on in leaps and bounds, particularly when paired with a skinny rear wing! Max should be almost nailed-on now for the title, and hopefully Lewis's retirement.

CS
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
Yes that Honda engine has come on in leaps and bounds, particularly when paired with a skinny rear wing! Max should be almost nailed-on now for the title, and hopefully Lewis's retirement.

CS
We shall see. It's definitely a bit more fun at the moment.
But why the dislike of Lewis?
He is THE most successful British driver ever.
I know he's a bit robotic in his interviews. But F1 drivers are OCD. It's how they get where they are. No?
Trader Pat

Good to see the Max's price for the title is a bit more realistic now. 1.90ish after winning the French last week, nice trade 8-)

More of the same next week you would think unless weather plays a part.
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:40 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
greenmark wrote:

CS
I know he's a bit robotic in his interviews. But F1 drivers are OCD. It's how they get where they are. No?
Is that a serious question? Really?

1) He tries his hardest to politicise the entire sport and literally BULLIES other drivers into taking the knee!
2) He's not even a 'great driver! The distinctly average Nico Rosberg beat him over an entire season in the same car in 2016!
3) He's the biggest hypocrite ever, as a UK tax exile who evaded millions in VAT on his private jet, yet tries to lecture others on how we should 'save the planet and go vegan'!

I won't even mention the absolute betrayal of his white Mother every time he opens his biased and racist mouth... But apart from this...

CS
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:39 pm
greenmark wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:

CS

1) He tries his hardest to politicise the entire sport and literally BULLIES other drivers into taking the knee!
2) He's not even a 'great driver! The distinctly average Nico Rosberg beat him over an entire season in the same car in 2016!
3) He's the biggest hypocrite ever, as a UK tax exile who evaded millions in VAT on his private jet, yet tries to lecture others on how we should 'save the planet and go vegan'!

I won't even mention the absolute betrayal of his white Mother every time he opens his biased and racist mouth... But apart from this...

CS
OK. Sorry. I unwittingly pressed a button there. You've given me a lot to look at and digest.
My perception of Lewis is as I said. He's OCD. When things go well, he's a pussycat. When things go bad he's pretty crabby (but has mellowed/learned over the years).
But beyond all of that, who would you like in your car if you're a team principal or sponsor.
The kid is fast. No 2 ways about it. There are obviously others out there. But I'm certain Lewis is there on driving ability, not the ability to draw in revenue.
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:51 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
greenmark wrote:

CS
OK. Sorry. I unwittingly pressed a button there. You've given me a lot to look at and digest.
My perception of Lewis is as I said. He's OCD. When things go well, he's a pussycat. When things go bad he's pretty crabby (but has mellowed/learned over the years).
But beyond all of that, who would you like in your car if you're a team principal or sponsor.
The kid is fast. No 2 ways about it. There are obviously others out there. But I'm certain Lewis is there on driving ability, not the ability to draw in revenue.
Goodness, no apology needed, these are just opinions, and they are equally as valid as each other. I don't disagree with your points at the bottom, but the new and exciting talents in F1 (for me) are:

Max Verstappen
Lando Norris
George Russell
Charles LeClerc

Lewis has soured his pitch with his blatant hypocrisy and militant politicisation of the sport.

CS
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:32 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:51 pm
Crazyskier wrote:

CS
Goodness, no apology needed, these are just opinions, and they are equally as valid as each other. I don't disagree with your points at the bottom, but the new and exciting talents in F1 (for me) are:

Max Verstappen
Lando Norris
George Russell
Charles LeClerc

Lewis has soured his pitch with his blatant hypocrisy and militant politicisation of the sport.

CS
I agree that is the list of upcoming drivers us petrolheads now have in our minds.
Politics-wise Lewis is entitled to say what he likes. I personally have no problem with BLM. They'll never be a political force , so I don't care about their wider politcal agenda. The basic message is completely correct for me.

Also I would suggest Rosberg's domination was because he was a German on a Mercedes. But he evaporated. Lewis has dominated Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg, Bottas. Is Lewis so much more bankable than those guys? No, he's just fast and utterly focussed on being top dog.
Do I like him? Actually he leaves me cold, but F1 is a bit of personality desert isn't it?
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:38 pm
Politics-wise Lewis is entitled to say what he likes. I personally have no problem with BLM. They'll never be a political force , so I don't care about their wider politcal agenda. The basic message is completely correct for me.
He's definitely entitled to his opinions especially as the only black man in F1. My issue with him was like a lot of other athletes and celebrities he wasn't very quick out of the blocks with his opinions, he seemed to wait a little while to see what way the wind was blowing then jumped in with both feet. So by that measure he's no Colin Kaepernick. I think he's turned into a bit of a bandwagon hopper in recent years, it seems to be about the brand for Hamilton.
greenmark wrote:
Also I would suggest Rosberg's domination was because he was a German on a Mercedes. But he evaporated. Lewis has dominated Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg, Bottas. Is Lewis so much more bankable than those guys? No, he's just fast and utterly focussed on being top dog.
Do I like him? Actually he leaves me cold, but F1 is a bit of personality desert isn't it?
I think Hamilton has been head and shoulders the best driver in F1 for a decade now. Like you say he bullied Alonso, which was hilarious to watch! Rosberg couldn't believe his luck when he won his title and quickly retired so Hamilton couldn't avenge the loss. Bottas isn't in the same league as him so he's had it pretty easy as far as teammates go. As for direct rivals there hasn't really been anyone. I know Vettel won four world titles but he's a German Jenson Button who was in the right place at the right time. When Vettel went to Ferrari and they looked like they could challenge Mercedes Vettel bottled it more than once. I still think if they were in identical machinery Hamilton would have the edge on Verstappen, he's less prone to errors imo.

Big picture though I don't think Hamilton is on the same level as Schumacher even thought they've both won seven world titles. There's no way in hell Schumacher would have let Rosberg win that title, he'd have put him in the wall. He was also a better developer of a car than Hamilton, neither the Benetton nor the Ferrari were championship winning cars until he went there and he even helped develop the Mercedes before Lewis got there.

New drivers Lando Norris has impressed me the most, he seems to have all he tools and doesn't make many mistakes. Still very difficult for drivers coming up unless you have a big backer like Mazespin
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 pm
greenmark wrote:
He's definitely entitled to his opinions especially as the only black man in F1. My issue with him was like a lot of other athletes and celebrities he wasn't very quick out of the blocks with his opinions, he seemed to wait a little while to see what way the wind was blowing then jumped in with both feet. So by that measure he's no Colin Kaepernick. I think he's turned into a bit of a bandwagon hopper in recent years, it seems to be about the brand for Hamilton.
greenmark wrote:
I think Hamilton has been head and shoulders the best driver in F1 for a decade now. Like you say he bullied Alonso, which was hilarious to watch! Rosberg couldn't believe his luck when he won his title and quickly retired so Hamilton couldn't avenge the loss. Bottas isn't in the same league as him so he's had it pretty easy as far as teammates go. As for direct rivals there hasn't really been anyone. I know Vettel won four world titles but he's a German Jenson Button who was in the right place at the right time. When Vettel went to Ferrari and they looked like they could challenge Mercedes Vettel bottled it more than once. I still think if they were in identical machinery Hamilton would have the edge on Verstappen, he's less prone to errors imo.

Big picture though I don't think Hamilton is on the same level as Schumacher even thought they've both won seven world titles. There's no way in hell Schumacher would have let Rosberg win that title, he'd have put him in the wall. He was also a better developer of a car than Hamilton, neither the Benetton nor the Ferrari were championship winning cars until he went there and he even helped develop the Mercedes before Lewis got there.

New drivers Lando Norris has impressed me the most, he seems to have all he tools and doesn't make many mistakes. Still very difficult for drivers coming up unless you have a big backer like Mazespin
It'sinteresting to ponder. Was Lewis's accidental flicking of the 'magic' button a one-off? Or is it the first sign he's fading? The GOAT debate could occupy an entrire thread on it's own.
But I have begun to wonder. We''re now so used to there just being 2 teams in contention (often only one).
We've lost that true level of competition. Where are Ferrari? Part of one of the biggest auto companies in the world. Where are McLaren? Formerly a byword for ferocious innovation and competitiveness.
It's all a bit too orientated around 2 top drivers from 2 top teams.

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”