Any markets not covered in the other boards
Derek27

Women shouldn't even be 87Kg. ;)
Dublin_Flyer

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 pm
If Laurel Hubbard's a woman I don't know what a woman is!
He's beyond a joke, as are the authorities that thought it would be a good idea to penalise all of the real female athletes.

CS
There's a good Joe Rogan podcast (back when he was listenable, he's all conspiracy and whatifabouttery lately) where he calls out an MMA fighter that's transgender (Fallon Fox) about being literally a guy fighting women. I'm not interested in the where or whutabouts if trans people have a todger or grapes but he was making some good points; if a man has his testosterone explosion in teenage years, and bulks up on muscle and bone density in accordance with that - he should not be fighting as an "equal" female, as he has the added advantage of the increased muscle and bone mass, giving bigger kicks and take bigger kicks.

There's currently very few events in the Olympics that gender doesn't matter in; Shooting, Eventing/Showjumping/Dressage, Sailing.
Give it a while and there'll be Barry and Larry transferring to female so they can run in the womens 200m or womens long jump, and try get a medal by the time Paris 2024 comes around. :roll:
Derek27

The Transgenerlympics is on it's way. :)
gazuty

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:08 am
The Transgenerlympics is on it's way. :)
viewtopic.php?p=269961#p269961
Dublin_Flyer

0.76s knocked off the 400m Hurdles WR.
I'm calling that one dodddddgy as fuck. He broke the 29 year old World Record last month with 46.70 then does 45.94 for the first sub 46s 400m hurdles ever.
Bollox bollox bollox I'll call bollox to the moon on that one, 400m hurdler improving almost a second in a month? The fukkouda here ya cheating fuck 8-) :roll:
Trader Pat

Looking forward to seeing how the Namibian girl gets on in the 200m, she had serious speed on the straight even though she had poor starts in both heats. Don't think she'll win the race but good chance of a bronze.

The 2 Namibian girls in the final were originally 400m runners but are not allowed race above 200m because of high levels of testosterone (which I think is a load of bo##ocks, or maybe too much bo##ocks!) I thinks its very unfair that they had to drop down to a new event through no fault of their own.
rik

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:23 am
I'm calling that one dodddddgy as fuck. He broke the 29 year old World Record last month with 46.70 then does 45.94 for the first sub 46s 400m hurdles ever.
Bollox bollox bollox I'll call bollox to the moon on that one, 400m hurdler improving almost a second in a month? The fukkouda here ya cheating fuck 8-) :roll:
Cant call someone a cheater just for exceptional performance even if its naive to assume otherwise.
Track definitely must be fast but maybe there is a new drug around, not tested for or on the doping list yet?
Trader Pat

rik wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:03 pm
Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:23 am
Cant call someone a cheater just for exceptional performance even if its naive to assume otherwise.
Track definitely must be fast but maybe there is a new drug around, not tested for or on the doping list yet?
New shoe technology to take into account as well.
rik

The 800m womans final just now had 6 personal bests!
greenmark

My insomnia has just gifted me the skateboarding. What joy in what you do! What lack of nastiness! Truly Olympian, be the best you can be and encourage and support your competitors to be better by being brilliant.But not knock them down with words. Fabulous!
greenmark

Insomnia part 2. 50k walk. Ridiculous event.
Appallingly difficult to apply the rules, but even I can see walkers lifting (including the likely gold medal winner).
Just silly.
andy28

Most successful games for NZ ever, with 20 medals, thanks mainly down to Lisa Carrington, what a ledgend she is. She has 1 more shot at Gold, so heres hoping the tally keeps climbing
gazuty

andy28 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:24 am
Most successful games for NZ ever, with 20 medals, thanks mainly down to Lisa Carrington, what a ledgend she is. She has 1 more shot at Gold, so heres hoping the tally keeps climbing
Well done NZ. Awesome effort for a small nation (outstrips Denmark and Norway with roughly similar societies).

If we still competed as Australasia (Australia and NZ combined in the first few olympics) we'd jump Japan and be third on the medal table. Probably go even better in some of the team sports.
greenmark

gazuty wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:48 am
andy28 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:24 am
Well done NZ. Awesome effort for a small nation (outstrips Denmark and Norway with roughly similar societies).

If we still competed as Australasia (Australia and NZ combined in the first few olympics) we'd jump Japan and be third on the medal table. Probably go even better in some of the team sports.
Well done both NZ and Aus. If you did compete as one you would have 24 golds compared to GB's 16 with less than half the population.
How do you guys do that?
gazuty

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:05 am
Well done both NZ and Aus. If you did compete as one you would have 24 golds compared to GB's 16 with less than half the population.
How do you guys do that?
It's a game of population, money and focus.

The bigger the population the more likely you'll find humans within that population closer to the end of the bell curve that can excel in a particular sport.

Then its money which comes out these ways:

1. you need to live in a society where there is reasonable amount of social harmony etc (you don't see many of the war torn nations at the top of the medal table). Those humans you do find need to live in a society that allows them to devote almost all their time to sport. Bascially, a society with an advanced economy = money at a whole nation level.
2. you need a society with some liesure and social type activities focussed on olymic sports - for Australia a great example is swimming, which provides the bulk of our medals and also is a wildly popular in north of Melbourne (that's not to say Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart don't produce swimmers, just that the weather and sheer number of olympic swimming pools in the northern states attracts a bigger pool of kids). NZ focus almost all their sport energy on Rugby (of course NZ have also had swimmers, sailors and other olympic medals). Again, this requires money at a whole nation level.
3. you need money to spot talent, capture talent in a programme, train the talent and send the talent to the games - again for Australia that is swimming, rowing, cycling etc This is the focussed money directed at actually developing talent over a long period to produce olypic medals.

Finally, it's focus. A country can't excel in everything (unless it's the USA or China). Focus on the sports popular in the nation with a wide enough pool of athletes etc to produce outlier performers.

It does build national pride and cohesiveness in Australian society (not saying that Olympic performance would matter in other societies but it does matter down under).

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”