Formula 1

Any markets not covered in the other boards
Trader Pat

Whether you think Hamilton was at fault or not a 10 second penalty is a joke, Hamilton in a Mercedes at one of the fastest tracks on the calendar was always going to make that up.

There really needs to be set penalties for different infringements. All the penalties you see being handed out after these conflabs are very arbitrary. I think a drive through would have been a fairer penalty.
ShaunWhite

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:44 pm
Whether you think Hamilton was at fault or not a 10 second penalty is a joke,
Agreed. George Russell was dropped 3 grid places for less.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:36 pm
I'm not familiar with LLC unlimited.
I thought that's what they called the 24hr-style prototype cars? Closed canopy, ground effect, motors in each wheel etc...but I can't find it now :?
Looks like they might be called Hypercars now....https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/lemans/categories. Gotta agree though, F1 ought to be the cutting edge but unfortunatly Merc winning 20 in a row won't bring in the shareholder $s that close rivalry does.

This sprint quali sure is going to spice up the race winner market. Feels like lay the top 5 because nothing good can happen, but that's going to be priced in to some extent. Mmmmm The only cert is that it's a good thing for Alonso, the king of nicking places at starts, and the best driver in the grid imo.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:08 am
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:36 pm
I'm not familiar with LLC unlimited.
I thought that's what they called the 24hr-style prototype cars? Closed canopy, ground effect, motors in each wheel etc...but I can't find it now :?
Looks like they might be called Hypercars now....https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/lemans/categories. Gotta agree though, F1 ought to be the cutting edge but unfortunatly Merc winning 20 in a row won't bring in the shareholder $s that close rivalry does.

This sprint quali sure is going to spice up the race winner market. Feels like lay the top 5 because nothing good can happen, but that's going to be priced in to some extent. Mmmmm The only cert is that it's a good thing for Alonso, the king of nicking places at starts, and the best driver in the grid imo.
Ah right. Forgotten about that series. Pretty dull unless you're a real engineering geek.
I think the other cert is if the number collisions increases, teams, sponsors, drivers and some fans will start to grumble.
Imagine the the reaction of the tifosi if a Ferrari gets pinged off at Monza.
It was pretty entertaining seeing just how fast they can go when they're not managing tyres etc.
Trader Pat

The bias on Sky F1 is unbelievable!

At the end of qualy when Verstappen gets out of his car the crowd cheer, when Hamilton gets out they boo and the commentator says "Mixed reception for Verstappen!" Then in the interviews when the crowd boo Hamilton again Johnny Herbert basically tells them to shush. If the crowd want to boo then you can't stop them booing!
firlandsfarm

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:20 pm

At the end of qualy when Verstappen gets out of his car the crowd cheer, when Hamilton gets out they boo and the commentator says "Mixed reception for Verstappen!" Then in the interviews when the crowd boo Hamilton again Johnny Herbert basically tells them to shush. If the crowd want to boo then you can't stop them booing!
The crowd reaction at a live interview is a democracy! :D
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:20 pm

And Hamilton used it his advantage "it fuels me, I don't mind it".
Plus Max (jos? :-)) has been pretty cool about the rivalry.
"And when the official FIA news conference host tried to ask Verstappen how he was going to approach the race if he and Hamilton found themselves side by side on the first lap, Verstappen angrily interrupted him.

"Can we already stop about this?" he said, before swearing twice as he complained about the number of questions he had fielded on it on Thursday.

"We are racers and we will race hard but fair," he concluded."

Bring it on. Its bubbling up nicely. And Lando is 3rd in the standings.

But whats happened to Ricciardo?
One of my favourite punchy drivers and seems to have accepted No.2 driver status. And even seems to have his flip-flops on already.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 pm
What else could he say? He's not used to being booed and he looked a little shook by it to me. For someone so fond of retweets and likes it seemed to get under his skin.

Definitely advantage Mercedes this weekend, eight point gap in the drivers championship you'd expect them to be level after this race. Hamilton should win and because Verstappen had to use a set of softs to get out of qualy 2 Hamilton should get the fastest lap later in the race.

Should be a great battle after the summer break.
greenmark

Just watching the F3. We have Schumacher, Fittipaldi, Nannini and Doohan. Do you think it's genetics or 'who you know'?
And Leclerc (my mistake).
ShaunWhite

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:59 pm
greenmark wrote:
What else could he say? He's not used to being booed and he looked a little shook by it to me.
There was a time a while ago (5-6 yrs maybe) when Hamilton was seen as arrogant and distant and the crowd started to turn against him. Then he started all that running to the crowd and saying "aren't the crowd great blah blah blah" and like sheep they all fell for it.

We like a tough fighter but even the fans wince a bit at what is, and isn't, expected at the fastest corner of the year. We like winners, but we like gentleman winners more, tbh we even like gentleman losers more! Hamilton will be retiring soon-ish and he needs to remember his share price is based on likes not whether he's won 7, 8 or 9 titles.

I'm not a Hamilton hater or hate his good intentions, I just think he's overrated and a bit of an arse. Without Toto looking after him with all the care he'd lavish on a third bollock I don't think he'd be much better than top 10.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:50 am
Just watching the F3. We have Schumacher, Fittipaldi, Nannini and Doohan. Do you think it's genetics or 'who you know'?
And Leclerc (my mistake).
Opportunity, connections, knowledge and wealth. Killer combo.

Thinking about genetics reminded me that back in the day they used to say Bjorn Borg was good because his eyes were so close together :) I'm not sure you could even say that now or how it could have even been an advantage.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 am
I'm not a Hamilton hater or hate his good intentions, I just think he's overrated and a bit of an arse. Without Toto looking after him with all the care he'd lavish on a third bollock I don't think he'd be much better than top 10.
The problem with F1 awards is that the winning driver may not be the best driver, maybe there are better drivers but in less competitive cars and vice versa, the winning car may not be the best car, it just may have a better driver than it's competitors. There should only be one award, "Best Car&Driver Combination".

I would love to see an F1 season where the drivers and manufacturers are detached from each other and 2 weeks before each race drivers and cars are matched up by drawing lots. Then after each race new pairings are drawn. I appreciate there would be an element of the luck of the draw but I think it would even out the comparative performances of drivers and manufacturers and make for a much more interesting time between races (cue the draw in the FA cup for example)!

It will never happen :(
burntheory

I know it's a bit simplistic and the stats are a few months old, but below are comparisons between Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher.

LH - 98 poles, 96 wins. Conversion rate 0.98
MS - 68 poles, 91 wins. Conversion rate 1.34
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:59 pm
greenmark wrote:
What else could he say? He's not used to being booed and he looked a little shook by it to me.
There was a time a while ago (5-6 yrs maybe) when Hamilton was seen as arrogant and distant and the crowd started to turn against him. Then he started all that running to the crowd and saying "aren't the crowd great blah blah blah" and like sheep they all fell for it.

We like a tough fighter but even the fans wince a bit at what is, and isn't, expected at the fastest corner of the year. We like winners, but we like gentleman winners more, tbh we even like gentleman losers more! Hamilton will be retiring soon-ish and he needs to remember his share price is based on likes not whether he's won 7, 8 or 9 titles.

I respect what he's done as a driver but on a personal level I just can't take to the guy, he's a walking brand who jumps on whatever bandwagon happens to be rolling past.

His stance on LGBTQ rights in Hungary is just another example. I agree with the sentiment but the problem is he comes across as a massive hypocrite. Formula 1 goes where the money is and F1 drivers benefit massively because of it, especially Hamilton. He said what he did just for retweets and likes, if he really wanted to take a stand then he'd boycott the race. Hungary was an easy target because it was in the public consciousness, will he call out Russia over Crimea when they race in Russia or China over the Uyghurs when/if they race in China later in the year? And what about calling out Saudi Arabia's human right violations if they race there?

All three of those nations have big money invested in F1 and F1 teams so something tells my he won't be as vocal about them.
greenmark

Wow. Colossal mistake by Mercedes.

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”