Formula 1

Any markets not covered in the other boards
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:50 am
Just watching the F3. We have Schumacher, Fittipaldi, Nannini and Doohan. Do you think it's genetics or 'who you know'?
And Leclerc (my mistake).
Opportunity, connections, knowledge and wealth. Killer combo.

Thinking about genetics reminded me that back in the day they used to say Bjorn Borg was good because his eyes were so close together :) I'm not sure you could even say that now or how it could have even been an advantage.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 am
I'm not a Hamilton hater or hate his good intentions, I just think he's overrated and a bit of an arse. Without Toto looking after him with all the care he'd lavish on a third bollock I don't think he'd be much better than top 10.
The problem with F1 awards is that the winning driver may not be the best driver, maybe there are better drivers but in less competitive cars and vice versa, the winning car may not be the best car, it just may have a better driver than it's competitors. There should only be one award, "Best Car&Driver Combination".

I would love to see an F1 season where the drivers and manufacturers are detached from each other and 2 weeks before each race drivers and cars are matched up by drawing lots. Then after each race new pairings are drawn. I appreciate there would be an element of the luck of the draw but I think it would even out the comparative performances of drivers and manufacturers and make for a much more interesting time between races (cue the draw in the FA cup for example)!

It will never happen :(
burntheory

I know it's a bit simplistic and the stats are a few months old, but below are comparisons between Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher.

LH - 98 poles, 96 wins. Conversion rate 0.98
MS - 68 poles, 91 wins. Conversion rate 1.34
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:59 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 pm
And Hamilton used it his advantage "it fuels me, I don't mind it".
What else could he say? He's not used to being booed and he looked a little shook by it to me.
There was a time a while ago (5-6 yrs maybe) when Hamilton was seen as arrogant and distant and the crowd started to turn against him. Then he started all that running to the crowd and saying "aren't the crowd great blah blah blah" and like sheep they all fell for it.

We like a tough fighter but even the fans wince a bit at what is, and isn't, expected at the fastest corner of the year. We like winners, but we like gentleman winners more, tbh we even like gentleman losers more! Hamilton will be retiring soon-ish and he needs to remember his share price is based on likes not whether he's won 7, 8 or 9 titles.

I'm not a Hamilton hater or hate his good intentions, I just think he's overrated and a bit of an arse. Without Toto looking after him with all the care he'd lavish on a third bollock I don't think he'd be much better than top 10.

I respect what he's done as a driver but on a personal level I just can't take to the guy, he's a walking brand who jumps on whatever bandwagon happens to be rolling past.

His stance on LGBTQ rights in Hungary is just another example. I agree with the sentiment but the problem is he comes across as a massive hypocrite. Formula 1 goes where the money is and F1 drivers benefit massively because of it, especially Hamilton. He said what he did just for retweets and likes, if he really wanted to take a stand then he'd boycott the race. Hungary was an easy target because it was in the public consciousness, will he call out Russia over Crimea when they race in Russia or China over the Uyghurs when/if they race in China later in the year? And what about calling out Saudi Arabia's human right violations if they race there?

All three of those nations have big money invested in F1 and F1 teams so something tells my he won't be as vocal about them.
greenmark

Wow. Colossal mistake by Mercedes.
Euler

F1 has become really interesting and exciting again!
greenmark

Sensational defending from Alonso.
Still baffled why Mercedes didn't go with pack and go to slicks for the restart.
He would have been at the head of the queue in the pit lane.
Or did the rest of the field let him pass the pit lane entrance and then dive in the pits?
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:55 pm
Sensational defending from Alonso.
Still baffled why Mercedes didn't go with pack and go to slicks for the restart.
He would have been at the head of the queue in the pit lane.
Or did the rest of the field let him pass the pit lane entrance and then dive in the pits?
They cannot use the team radio on the Formation Lap and Hamilton was the front car so it was all down to him to decide, he didn't see what the others were doing until it was too late! There was some talk that some were thinking of changing tyres and left it to the driver to assess the track and it may be that when the second car dropped into the pit lane others followed until it was brave not to.
Trader Pat

Hamilton said in his post race interview that the team told him to stay out because they believed more rain was coming.. oops!

Set up nicely for the rest of the season but we have to wait 4 weeks until the next race
Trader Pat

F1 quote of the day goes to Verstappen

"Again I was taken out by a Mercedes"! :lol:
firlandsfarm

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 pm
Hamilton said in his post race interview that the team told him to stay out because they believed more rain was coming.. oops!
I had changed channel before then ... if they did then a big oops from the team. Rain radar should have shown that and do you believe only Mercedes could see the (apparent) rain?
firlandsfarm

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:42 pm

In snooker it would have been a plant! :lol: :lol: :lol:
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:47 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:42 pm

In snooker it would have been a plant! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was my first thought too! :lol:
But tbf several drivers failed to master the circumstances highlighted by Sky.
Rubbered in track. Light rain. Tail wind. Equals, greasy track so take it easy and bide your time. Not go gung-ho and blow it on the first corner.
I agree it spices things up going forward though.
Trader Pat

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:46 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 pm
I had changed channel before then ... if they did then a big oops from the team. Rain radar should have shown that and do you believe only Mercedes could see the (apparent) rain?
Wolff said as far as he's concerned the team made the right decision because they were the lead car and he didn't expect the entire field to pit.

Maybe crossed wires between Hamilton and the team.
greenmark

Another thought. Had Lewis pitted and been at the head of the pit lane, he would have stormed off into the distance. This possibly highlights the gulf between Mercedes/Red Bull and the rest. He might have won by 40+ seconds. Thats not a good look, particularly with US owners of F1 wanting entertainment rather than engineering excellence.

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”