Formula 1

Any markets not covered in the other boards
weemac

I stopped watching F1 in disgust after Coulthard pulled over to let Hakkinen win 23 years ago, but watched this race and totally failed to understand the end. The last lap was kinda exciting though.

I'll maybe come back again in another 23 years.
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:17 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:49 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm
Mercedes lodging challeges to the way the unlapping under the safety car happened.
F1 is regs-centric. But PR-wise concluding the season via a regs argy-bargy would be a BAD idea.
But what do they expect to gain from their challenges? Max and Red Bull are not to blame so how can you even think of disqualifying him? How can they reverse the positions with a full lap to go ... anything could have happened! And if they do I'm sure Red Bull will take it to the judicial courts and argue the FIA's actions were not lawful. Just abandon the race as a result and Max is world champion because he was level on points before the race but had won more races! It seems the challenge is only for pride and ego! Wonder what Bf will do re settling their markets? :)
The BF thing is very pertinent. Their T&C's ar very well-defined (if only from the point of view that they have final say over everything).
Any challenge from Merc would have to have legal standing. The FIA aren't going to buckle in any other scenario.
And it would be very bad for the sport if they had to.
It's perhaps a prompt for the FIA to review their regs and make them more watertight.
Don't get me wrong. Max won. Simple as that. You could review the season and find all sorts of anomalies, I imagine, but who cares? It came down to a 1 lap shoot-out and Merc were out-smarted by Red Bull. And, on balane I think it's a fair result.
Whether Lewis has got any more left vs a rampantly talented driver remains to be seen.
Roll on 2022! :-)
Agreed
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:17 pm
It's perhaps a prompt for the FIA to review their regs and make them more watertight.
Don't get me wrong. Max won. Simple as that. You could review the season and find all sorts of anomalies, I imagine, but who cares? It came down to a 1 lap shoot-out and Merc were out-smarted by Red Bull. And, on balane I think it's a fair result.
Whether Lewis has got any more left vs a rampantly talented driver remains to be seen.
Roll on 2022! :-)
I think the stewards and race director have made some questionable calls this season that have affected both drivers so they need to go away and get their house in order for next season.

With the new cars Lewis will potentially have a lot more than Max to contend with next season; maybe another team coming out of the pack to challenge and I'm really looking forward to seeing the dynamic between him and his new teammate. I've been really impressed by Russell, he's outperformed his car for most of the season could be a Hamilton Alonso situation :)

I've no idea how you could top this year for talking points and action but as long as next year season is competitive then I'll be happy. The sport really has a duty to be a proper spectacle especially after this year so I hope the new cars deliver.
Euler

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:21 pm
PS - Goodbye to Kimi who was also magnificent in his time / Ferrari.
He was always a character despite having no character.
Step93

Hamilton won a world championship against Massa (Ferrari) in 2008 in the same way he lost it this year ... This is karma!
greenmark

Step93 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:36 pm
Hamilton won a world championship against Massa (Ferrari) in 2008 in the same way he lost it this year ... This is karma!
Karma often gets quoted in these situations.
"Good intent and good deeds contribute to good karma and happier rebirths, while bad intent and bad deeds contribute to bad karma and bad rebirths."
I'm a Lewis fan. I think his intent is good. Sure, he competes. So does Max. That's why this season has been eye-catching.
I should point out I'm not religious, so may have misunderstood Karma.
I think the fact that F1 is fiercely competitive means seemingly insignificant deviations from 'a normal race' can throw everthing up in the air. And were it all lands is a bit of lottery. Hence today and as TraderPat highlighted the Timo Glock scenario.
The trick is to be totally dominant.
But what F1 fan want's one team to dominate. I'd like the FIA to try harder to close the field up TBH.
Crazyskier

greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:59 pm
Step93 wrote:
But what F1 fan want's one team to dominate. I'd like the FIA to try harder to close the field up TBH.
That's precisely what the 2022 car has been designed to do: follow more closely and facilitate easier overtaking.

CS
greenmark

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:59 pm
Step93 wrote:
That's precisely what the 2022 car has been designed to do: follow more closely and facilitate easier overtaking.

CS
Really? Great. More homework for me there. Thx. :-)
It's been obvious for a while that F1's relentless pursuit of every ounce of performance has created a few downsides. Dirty lines, disrupted aerodynamics. If you remember the 'downforce' cars with sideskirts that allowed the car to be sucked to the ground, but that could never continue. Even now I am certain there are technologies out there that could make F1 cars even faster, but we have reached a kind of entropy. The tech has exceeded the capacity of the courses many years ago. So F1 is a bit of an anachronism. But I'm fine with that. Just get the regs right and let them compete on the same basis. Then it comes down to budget/talent/innovation.
Trader Pat

'Karma' implies that there's some mystical force at play in the universe. I prefer the term 'Shit happens'.
jamesedwards

A great result. Let's hope Max doesn't lose it in the aftermath. I greened up in the last few seconds, just knew there would be afters to follow. Surprised Betfair paid out on the Championship market so quickly after the race. :o
jamesedwards

Steward enquiry over. Result stands!

Well done Max :D
Trader Pat

Paddy Power have paid out on both Max and Lewis as winners
greenmark

It just keeps rolling on.
"Mercedes have lodged their intention to appeal the decision of the stewards to dismiss the team's protest. "
Archery1969

Has Hamilton retired from F1 ?
Trader Pat

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:52 pm
Has Hamilton retired from F1 ?
No chance!

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”