Greyhound Mystique

Any markets not covered in the other boards
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am
Well done for finding something that works well for you, but why post detailed instructions for it and allow others to profit off your hard work on a forum filled with greyhound botters? Too much competition for prices on thin markets can severely weaken your edge and possibly ruin it.
I've often found you get more feedback on a thread, or by PM, if you're willing to explore a method.

With greyhounds, it's more "scientific" and a lot more than just to do with times, but it's a large part of it.

One thing it has done for me is to "rediscover" some of the value in the greyhound market.
e.g. The Henlow 11.39 Qualifier T6; Silverview Sooty, won the race @ 9/4 (BSP 4.54) ;)
Archery1969

Hi,

I have removed the screenshots from my 1st post.

Sorry if i have upset anyone. Use to be a maths teacher and like helping people. Although i guess thats a bad thing on this forum for reasons you have all stated. I generally find it easy to come up with an edge just by watching different markets, biggest problem is getting matched at value prices etc.

I also find it very disheartening with all the threads with people who are struggling and might aswell go set alight to their money as they will probably never crack trading.

Got a few more edges but will respect the forum and keep to myself.

Cheers for the constrcutive words,

Thanks,
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:01 pm

But 3.5 hours work per day is not too bad. Biggest problem is getting matched. £20 seems to be fine but £200 seems to spook the market somewhat. :lol:
If you're not already doing so, you could drip-feed the stakes into the market. That way it won't spook the market or other bots.

A quickfire 10x £5 bets, repeat and rinse...soon adds up. (as long as the trend is still favourable of course)
jimibt

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm
Hi,

Sorry if i have upset anyone. Use to be a maths teacher and like helping people. Although i guess thats a bad thing on this forum for reasons you have all stated. I generally find it easy to come up with an edge just by watching different markets, biggest problem is getting matched at value prices etc.

I also find it very disheartening with all the threads with people who are struggling and might aswell go set alight to their money as they will probably never crack trading.

Thanks,
I don't think you upset anyone and it is admirable that you posted so much detail. I think it's a pretty tough choice to make. As fox mentioned earlier, you can get some good feedback that helps you refine your approach by posting a lot of detail. However, on the flipside, by posting too much detail, you effectively degrade (in the future) the lifespan of your edge.

FWIW - i have no interest in the dogs tbh, BUT if i were starting out, I'd probably have tried very hard to emulate your approach, as would 100's of others. As a result of this, even just those potential bets entering the market (on the copy bots), could disrupt your approach. However, if one were to be obtuse, it WOULD be potentialy advantageous to detail an approach, knowing that it would be widely copied. You would then sit back and do the opposite -lol. That's how i'd do it anyway..

anyway, as mentioned earlier, it's nice to see alternative approaches to basically the same nut that needs to be cracked.
Kai

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm
Hi,

Thanks,
Well that's quite an overreaction, not sure exactly how you found yourself genuinely offended :?

Why would anyone here be upset if someone was generous enough to share a part of their edge with others, there's nothing negative here, it's certainly not against the forum rules either. You can easily reply back that you don't mind sharing any of this and don't care too much about this information and keep discussing it etc, no need to edit your post if you don't want to.
Kai

It's just that sometimes people overshare and it ends up hurting their edge so they end up regretting sharing anything in the first place, that's the only reason why we gave you a bit of a warning about it, just in case, sorry if that came across differently. Certainly not discouraging discussion about this topic, like Jim mentioned as well there's even an argument here that you could further strengthen this edge with the feedback from Fox and others.
Last edited by Kai on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:47 pm
It's just that sometimes people overshare and it ends up hurting their edge so they end up regretting sharing anything in the first place, that's the only reason why we gave you a bit of a warning about it, just in case. Certainly not discouraging discussion about this topic, there's even an argument here that you could further strengthen this edge with the feedback from Fox and others.
All said and done, there are opportunists out there for sure.

You might inadvertently give some juicy info away, before you know it, someone else is hawking it out @ £279 (should be £979) with a £40 annual renewal! :roll:

Stop Press: Henlow 12.39 T1 Anias Baby W6/1 (BSP 8.80) ;) (Although not a qualifier according on the OP's rules, the Fav @2/1 was poorly rated)
Archery1969

Hi,

If you dont want to stick to the original rules completely then there is another twist you can try.

- Looking at this screenshot you can see that there is only a difference of 0.08 between dog 4 and dog 6. Normlly this race would be avoided. But dog 6 time difference between Best and Last is 0.10 whereas dog 4 time difference between Best and Last is 0.30, not as consistent running wise and therefor dog 6 price should shorten.

Goodluck,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archery1969

Still going well....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 pm
Still going well....
Well done.

I don't think you have to worry too much about anyone copying your approach, as they won't have the stamina to go through all the racecards like you do in the morning. I enjoyed inputting the data into the spreadsheet and have sort of designed one that will quickly assess the info required, but only looked at Henlow and Perry Barr this morning.

I would say though it's got me interested again in greyhound racing. Back in the day, with pen/paper/calculator, I used to go to either White City or Wembley, take the best 2 of 3 times, average them and factor in the winning time of each of their last race. This helped define the class of the race they're running in and would be able to spot one or two that were ripe for the picking. The Racing Post has that info, Sporting Life doesn't. It also has the weight of the greyhound, which is also an important consideration when looking at the bigger picture.

Mind you, you're assessement method is working fine without all these other factors.

The best result was; (The boxed figure is the 2nd rated + 4 lengths. Any greyhound with a worse time could be a Lay selection) Also note how poor the favourite was in the race too.

Hen11.39.GIF
Archery1969

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 pm
Still going well....
Well done.

I don't think you have to worry too much about anyone copying your approach, as they won't have the stamina to go through all the racecards like you do in the morning. I enjoyed inputting the data into the spreadsheet and have sort of designed one that will quickly assess the info required, but only looked at Henlow and Perry Barr this morning.

I would say though it's got me interested again in greyhound racing. Back in the day, with pen/paper/calculator, I used to go to either White City or Wembley, take the best 2 of 3 times, average them and factor in the winning time of each of their last race. This helped define the class of the race they're running in and would be able to spot one or two that were ripe for the picking. The Racing Post has that info, Sporting Life doesn't. It also has the weight of the greyhound, which is also an important consideration when looking at the bigger picture.

Mind you, you're assessement method is working fine without all these other factors.

The best result was; (The boxed figure is the 2nd rated + 4 lengths. Any greyhound with a worse time could be a Lay selection) Also note how poor the favourite was in the race too.

Hen11.39.GIF
Thats interesting information. I too was a regular at White City years ago. :)

I am also looking at criteria for lays too. Thing i like about mine is the fact its pretty simple, its just time consuming putting the runners into Guardian. Have a friend who works for RacingPost so i have contacted him to see if there's a legal way i could get all the data i need in a Excel sheet and then i could fully automate it between Excel / Guardian etc. That would be the iceing on the cake. :)

Evening racing is the best with this as i seem to get matched very quickly.
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Thats interesting information. I too was a regular at White City years ago. :)

I am also looking at criteria for lays too. Thing i like about mine is the fact its pretty simple, its just time consuming putting the runners into Guardian. Have a friend who works for RacingPost so i have contacted him to see if there's a legal way i could get all the data i need in a Excel sheet and then i could fully automate it between Excel / Guardian etc. That would be the iceing on the cake. :)

Evening racing is the best with this as i seem to get matched very quickly.
There's a Racing Post guy called Jim Cremin who was the racing manager @ Wembley stadium. He might know something or other.

The era I remember with White City was when the likes of Dave Kinchett was a trainer. Got a few stories about some of the gambles that went wrong! :?
Archery1969

This race highlights one to be avoided following the original rules as you have 3 dogs very close speed wise.

If you were a straight backer then maybe a reverse trifecta. :lol:

Dog 2 went off as clear favourite which is strange has it only has 4th best times.

But the winner came from one of the ones i highlighted in red being Swift Redzer which had the 3rd best time.

Its all interesting stuff. :D
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am
This race highlights one to be avoided following the original rules as you have 3 dogs very close speed wise.

Dog 2 went off as clear favourite which is strange has it only has 4th best times.

But the winner came from one of the ones i highlighted in red being Swift Redzer which had the 3rd best time.

Just for comparison. As you say tight at the top. (first 3 home seperated by a neck and a neck)
The T4 was worse rated and was reflected in the price too.

Nott1103.GIF
Archery1969

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Just for comparison. As you say tight at the top. (first 3 home seperated by a neck and a neck)
The T4 was worse rated and was reflected in the price too.

Nott1103.GIF
Yep. I am now working on the reverse for a Lay Bot targeting the dog with worse times but still using the 0.10 rule between 5th and 6th rated.

I targeted dog 3 with the new Lay Bot and got on at 7.6. Worked well. :)

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”