Grosjean crash

Any markets not covered in the other boards
Euler

Still re-watching the pictures to try and understand how it got out of that with only minor injuries, just incredible:-

https://twitter.com/MarcIstook/status/1 ... 0120949761
MemphisFlash

made F1 interesting for half an hour
goat68

Euler wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:39 pm
Still re-watching the pictures to try and understand how it got out of that with only minor injuries, just incredible:-

All credit to the many safety features, especially the Halo.
MemphisFlash

just goes to show the engineering involved in creating the shell of the car to make accidents like that something that people can walk away from.
greenmark

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 pm
just goes to show the engineering involved in creating the shell of the car to make accidents like that something that people can walk away from.
And the concept of a solid apron around the track as opposed to grass or gravel. He at least had a fraction of a second to brake, so (according to Brundle et al) that 140 mph was dimminished. So the combination of braking on the apron, the barrier giving way and yes the Halo (has any F1 safety device been proved to be so aptly named) saved the young fella. But I also wonder whether the engine detaching from the survival cell also contributed. In any case, a wonderful outcome.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:39 pm

He was inside the flames for 30 seconds. When I first saw the car split in half, I didn't realise he was in the piece embedded in the barrier! :shock:

Fire marshalls were quick on the scene too.
Euler

I was shocked to see all the flames as the cars were engineered some time ago to stop fire. But Ross Brawn was saying that it looks like only part of the fuel ignited.
Trader Pat

I've just seen it in full now, pretty terrifying especially in this age of safety.

It brought back to me the Roger Williamson crash in the 70's, was before my time but I saw a doc on it when I was younger. Really tough to watch and very sad. F1 drivers back then really were made of different stuff.

Great to see that Grosjean is ok.
jamesedwards

Grosjean updating from his hospital bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM-ixqB ... anymanNews
spreadbetting

The more you see it the more you wonder how he escaped so lightly.
wearthefoxhat

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:33 pm
I've just seen it in full now, pretty terrifying especially in this age of safety.

It brought back to me the Roger Williamson crash in the 70's, was before my time but I saw a doc on it when I was younger. Really tough to watch and very sad. F1 drivers back then really were made of different stuff.

Great to see that Grosjean is ok.
Back in the fifties, they didn't even wear seat belts because they believed it would help the driver get thrown clear to avoid getting burned in the car.
Tuco

I watch and of course trade F1.

Regarding the Grosjean crash what seems to have happened is that the barriers were at an angle of about 150° to the track rather than directly in line with the track which would have been 180° and much safer.

As Grosjean clipped the front wheel of Kvyat it turned his car meaning that when he hit the barrier it was almost a direct nose on impact with the barrier. With the front of the car being like the front of 'The Nautilus' in Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, the head on impact pierced the barrier - this really shouldn't happen and needs sorting. However, it also appears that the point of impact was directly next to one of the posts which hold the front of the barrier in place. Once the front of the car has gone through the barrier, the post has then deflected the front of the car to the right and the G force and impact with the post has detached the much heavier back half of the car from the front. The monocoque safety cell is actually facing in the wrong direction having gone through the barrier.

I think the doctor should have offered his back to Grosjean to jump onto from the barrier as Grosjean could have easily had leg or ankle damage which wouldn't have been helped with the 3-4 foot drop off the barrier.

The Halo has undoubtedly saved Grosjean's life as the barrier would likely have taken his head off. Very scary and very lucky that there wasn't a full fuel tank rupture and that Grosjean wasn't left either trapped in the car or knocked unconscious.
Crazyskier

I was watching live and said a quick prayer for whatever driver had caused the enormous fireball. I was sure he'd be unconscious and have to be released manually by the Fire Marshalls and medics.

Thank God that Romain was able to get himself out of the burning monocoque. He reported from hospital that his visor had melted by the time he got free, so it was borderline miraculous that he suffered only the relatively mild burns and sore ribs, etc that he did.

It's sad that this was the last time he'll ever sit in an F1 car again as Haas have released him and Magnussen from their contracts for next season; plus with Hulkenburg and Perez still available, there's next to zero chance any teams will take Romain.

Credit is due I feel to the likes of Sir Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss et al, that campaigned over many years to increase the number of safety features such as barriers, fire marshalls and medical staff. Undoubtedly their efforts contributed to the saving of many lives, not least Romain's.

CS
goat68

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:40 pm
I was watching live and said a quick prayer for whatever driver had caused the enormous fireball. I was sure he'd be unconscious and have to be released manually by the Fire Marshalls and medics.

Thank God that Romain was able to get himself out of the burning monocoque. He reported from hospital that his visor had melted by the time he got free, so it was borderline miraculous that he suffered only the relatively mild burns and sore ribs, etc that he did.

It's sad that this was the last time he'll ever sit in an F1 car again as Haas have released him and Magnussen from their contracts for next season; plus with Hulkenburg and Perez still available, there's next to zero chance any teams will take Romain.

Credit is due I feel to the likes of Sir Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss et al, that campaigned over many years to increase the number of safety features such as barriers, fire marshalls and medical staff. Undoubtedly their efforts contributed to the saving of many lives, not least Romain's.

CS
And of course the late Charlie Whiting who pushed so hard to get the Halo introduced.
Naffman

It sums up F1 at the minute when incidents like this are the only reason it's in the news.

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”