Eurovision 2021

Eurovision, Political betting markets, reality TV and other special markets.
verance

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:47 am
Why do we even bother entering.
Too much political voting from eastern block, Greece always give Cypus 12 points and vice versa. Finland, Iceland, Denmark and Sweden have ther own little block.
Top Countries: Italy, France, Switzerland, Iceland
Countries losing in Semi-final: Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Romania, Poland

Hard to say Eastern Bloc voting had a huge impact!
MemphisFlash wrote:
Since we are no longer in Europe
You are still in Europe
MemphisFlash

so that still left Armenia, Azerbaijan,Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Latvia, Moldova,
North Macedonia, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia and the Ukraine.

12 countries. nearly half the final contentenders!!!!!

46.15% of the contenders.

Still No Influence, lol
verance

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:45 am
so that still left Armenia, Azerbaijan,Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Latvia, Moldova,
North Macedonia, Russia, Serbia, Slovenia and the Ukraine.

12 countries. nearly half the final contentenders!!!!!

46.15% of the contenders.

Still No Influence, lol
Slovenia, North Macedonia and Croatia did not make it through.

They had a higher % of the total contenders than ones that made it to the final.

And none of them could finish in the top 4!!!!!

So yes, no infleunce (lol) :lol:
superfrank

MemphisFlash wrote:
Why do we even bother entering.
Too much political voting from eastern block, Greece always give Cypus 12 points and vice versa. Finland, Iceland, Denmark and Sweden have ther own little block.
In the past we could rely on Ireland giving us something and since when is Australia in Europe!!!
You have to take it for what it is - it's not really a serious song competition.
It's funny that Greece and Cyprus still do that.
As for the UK entry, well it deserved no points. It was abysmal. Must have been sour Remainers behind that, determined to make us look bad in Europe!
Derek27

MemphisFlash wrote:
Since we are no longer in Europe why are we still entering and paying for the humiliation of it.
We are still in Europe geographically. :)

I've never taken it seriously but after watching it last night it was almost like watching the World Cup final. :lol:
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:56 am
MemphisFlash wrote:
Since we are no longer in Europe why are we still entering and paying for the humiliation of it.
We are still in Europe geographically. :)

I've never taken it seriously but after watching it last night it was almost like watching the World Cup final. :lol:
It was the first time I had watched it, thoroughly entertaining. Very unfortunate for James ;)
The Silk Run

Where was Kai ...
verance

superfrank wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:15 am
You have to take it for what it is - it's not really a serious song competition.
What do you think the best 3 songs were?
superfrank

verance wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 pm
superfrank wrote:
I thought Cyprus was the most Eurovisiony and had a catchy tune.
https://youtu.be/MgGc1F_cOE8

I think it was first up. The rest is just a blur!
paspuggie48

Was an ironclad dutch on the first 4 in the market opportunity for me last night.

So much crap going on about we must have a better or higher profile production team, better song, better writing etc...we've had some really good songs in years gone by since we won, it's just we aren't liked very much in Europe !

Hell, we've had Lloyd-Webber himself involved and got nowhere ! Don't even mention Humperdinck ! lol
verance

superfrank wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:16 pm
verance wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:12 pm
superfrank wrote:
I thought Cyprus was the most Eurovisiony and had a catchy tune.
https://youtu.be/MgGc1F_cOE8

I think it was first up. The rest is just a blur!
I wonder if what people think is Eurovisiony actually is. I doubt the Italy, Switzerland or France songs would come in that category.

If I was voting it would've been 1. France 2. Switzerland 3. Iceland. Thought the UK was crap. So I think the voting did a good job of judging good songs (and I'm a straight 30-something Irishman)
Kai

Wasn't watching or trading it but from a neutral perspective it sounds very political and anti-UK. Seen the winner song now and I like it, gave me a few tingles :) 👍
superfrank

verance wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:24 pm
I wonder if what people think is Eurovisiony actually is. I doubt the Italy, Switzerland or France songs would come in that category.
Agreed. It used to be cheesy pop or soppy ballads.
Archangel

Anyone who watches the Eurovision would know its voting is always political. Neighbouring countries tend to vote for one another. UK generally does crap as its always been on the margins of Europe, even before brexit.
verance

Archangel wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Anyone who watches the Eurovision would know its voting is always political. Neighbouring countries tend to vote for one another. UK generally does crap as its always been on the margins of Europe, even before brexit.
How much evidence is there of that? If UK came last because it's on the margins of Europe, how did Germany come second last? How did Iceland come 4th with 0 neighbouring countries?

The best predictor of doing well is a good song and singer. That's why UK came last.

Return to “Non Sports trading Markets”