Any markets not covered in the other boards
Dallas

Mens 4 x 100m final was one of the best races I've seen in long time
greenmark

gazuty wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:43 am
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:05 am
Well done both NZ and Aus. If you did compete as one you would have 24 golds compared to GB's 16 with less than half the population.
How do you guys do that?
It's a game of population, money and focus.

The bigger the population the more likely you'll find humans within that population closer to the end of the bell curve that can excel in a particular sport.

Then its money which comes out these ways:

1. you need to live in a society where there is reasonable amount of social harmony etc (you don't see many of the war torn nations at the top of the medal table). Those humans you do find need to live in a society that allows them to devote almost all their time to sport. Bascially, a society with an advanced economy = money at a whole nation level.
2. you need a society with some liesure and social type activities focussed on olymic sports - for Australia a great example is swimming, which provides the bulk of our medals and also is a wildly popular in north of Melbourne (that's not to say Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart don't produce swimmers, just that the weather and sheer number of olympic swimming pools in the northern states attracts a bigger pool of kids). NZ focus almost all their sport energy on Rugby (of course NZ have also had swimmers, sailors and other olympic medals). Again, this requires money at a whole nation level.
3. you need money to spot talent, capture talent in a programme, train the talent and send the talent to the games - again for Australia that is swimming, rowing, cycling etc This is the focussed money directed at actually developing talent over a long period to produce olypic medals.

Finally, it's focus. A country can't excel in everything (unless it's the USA or China). Focus on the sports popular in the nation with a wide enough pool of athletes etc to produce outlier performers.

It does build national pride and cohesiveness in Australian society (not saying that Olympic performance would matter in other societies but it does matter down under).
Excellent as per usual Gazuty.
Over here in GB. It seems sporting excellence is now dependent on the lottery. The govt are standing back and saying ' if the public are really interested in this then they'll foot the bill". And by all accounts failure is not an option for an individual, which may dovetail with the sudden mental health issues across athletics.
Nonetheless, Oz and NZ punch above GB with half the population. It's not that surprising I guess. Dreary, wet and windy Tuesday in Chesterfield or a sun-kissed Ozzy beach. Personally, I'd take soggy Chesterfield every time.
But I can't handle heat above 25C. I'd collapse in sustained 30C+ temps.
Trader Pat

Alternative medal table is an interesting read even though it doesn't take into account how much each country allocates to Olympic funding.

https://ig.ft.com/tokyo-olympics-altern ... dal-table/
Dublin_Flyer

This will probably be the headline I remember from Tokyo 20/21
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 am
This will probably be the headline I remember from Tokyo 20/21

When I first saw that headline today I thought it was something like Roberto Duran!

Not that bad thankfully but the poor horse looked terrified. Don't understand the logic of being drawn a horse. Apart from the horses being spooked, the outcome of an elite sport should have as little to do with luck as possible.
gazuty

When Kai gets back need his take on this.

65CD4714-C729-49CF-BB39-EC9785CCE127 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 am

65CD4714-C729-49CF-BB39-EC9785CCE127 2.jpg
Maybe he's there competing!

If meming was an Olympic event he'd have a solid chance of a medal
gazuty

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:04 am
Maybe he's there competing!

If meming was an Olympic event he'd have a solid chance of a medal
Good point Pat - a suspicous lull for Kai co-incided perfectly with the olympics :)
Kai

gazuty wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 am

Wow, I was born smack-bang in the middle of that circle :o

Goddamn you're good with data :lol:

Trader Pat

Welcome back Kai!

Batteries recharged?
Kai

Not quite but feeling rather positive about it :)
Trader Pat

I see what ya did there! :D
eatyourgreens

my under 2.5 goals is red, (negative)......................my over 2.5 goals is red (negative)

If two negatives = a positive, how do I green up from here?

Have a nice day!
Dallas

Just noticed Team GB's medals were spread over 23 different events which set a new record for us and was more than any other country at Tokyo inc, China and USA
gazuty

Dallas wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:02 am
Just noticed Team GB's medals were spread over 23 different events which set a new record for us and was more than any other country at Tokyo inc, China and USA
Impressive

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”