Today's Snooker

Any markets not covered in the other boards
MemphisFlash

Trying my hand at snooker now

snooker.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Realrocknrolla

MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:09 am

snooker.JPG
Sod that... so boring!
Kai

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 am
MemphisFlash wrote:

snooker.JPG
Sod that... so boring!
But good trading is boring

As per this example of an excellent trader hard at work

Realrocknrolla

Kai wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:27 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 am
MemphisFlash wrote:

snooker.JPG
Sod that... so boring!
But good trading is boring

As per this example of an excellent trader hard at work

Completely agree, but I probably speak for many when saying snooker is boring.
MemphisFlash

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

As someone who played at a decent amateur level as a teenager I can confirm snooker is the most boring of boring sports.
Dallas

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:43 pm
As someone who played at a decent amateur level as a teenager I can confirm snooker is the most boring of boring sports.
I used to watch it a lot when I was younger and it was in it's 'Hay' day, but then started to lose interest and can't get into it now.

Maybe its because at the time the players were 'regular' people who you'd find drinking down the pub etc, but as with all sports when the money arrives its becomes a lot more serious and suddenly all the colourful characters you had where replaced by young robotic players
Trader Pat

Dallas wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:05 am
Trader Pat wrote:
I used to watch it a lot when I was younger and it was in it's 'Hay' day, but then started to lose interest and can't get into it now.

Maybe its because at the time the players were 'regular' people who you'd find drinking down the pub etc, but as with all sports when the money arrives its becomes a lot more serious and suddenly all the colourful characters you had where replaced by young robotic players

Definitely more personalities back in the day. There was a decent exhibition circuit back then where clubs would bring over players; White, Higgins, Davis, Parrott etc.. The club I played for brought Jimmy White over for a couple of exhibitions and the place was rammed. There just aren't personalities like that on the tour anymore with the exception of O'Sullivan.

The biggest problem with the game is there's just no money in it. Pre pandemic 1 or 2 players might have made £1m a year, the rest of the top 16 average about 250k and players outside the top 16 were lucky to make 100k, travel and other expenses have to be taken out of that too. Since Matchroom took over the calendar there are more ranking events so they say more money, problem is the money is more spread out with most ranking tournaments in Europe or China so its very difficult for players to break through. There can't be many sports where you have to commit so much time on a daily basis (5-6 hours) for so little reward even if you do make it.
stueytrader

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:47 am
Dallas wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:05 am
Trader Pat wrote:

Definitely more personalities back in the day. There was a decent exhibition circuit back then where clubs would bring over players; White, Higgins, Davis, Parrott etc.. The club I played for brought Jimmy White over for a couple of exhibitions and the place was rammed. There just aren't personalities like that on the tour anymore with the exception of O'Sullivan.

The biggest problem with the game is there's just no money in it. Pre pandemic 1 or 2 players might have made £1m a year, the rest of the top 16 average about 250k and players outside the top 16 were lucky to make 100k, travel and other expenses have to be taken out of that too. Since Matchroom took over the calendar there are more ranking events so they say more money, problem is the money is more spread out with most ranking tournaments in Europe or China so its very difficult for players to break through. There can't be many sports where you have to commit so much time on a daily basis (5-6 hours) for so little reward even if you do make it.
Agree with that very much - tough sport to get into, and not great rewards. An equivalent tennis player earns fortunes in comparison to a snooker player in the top 50-100.
I'd add it's a very difficult skillfull sport (arguably more than tennis even), hence the dedicated practice needed constantly to both get there and maintain.
However, I still enjoy watching the sport, it's a relaxing viewing sport (unless you're betting and trading!)
Trader Pat

stueytrader wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:59 pm
Agree with that very much - tough sport to get into, and not great rewards. An equivalent tennis player earns fortunes in comparison to a snooker player in the top 50-100.
I'd add it's a very difficult skillfull sport (arguably more than tennis even), hence the dedicated practice needed constantly to both get there and maintain.
However, I still enjoy watching the sport, it's a relaxing viewing sport (unless you're betting and trading!)
It's not a bad sport to trade, the market never factors in pressure so you get lots of over reactions in price.

I've tried to trade it but just can't it's too painful, reminds me too much of my wasted youth! And worst of all it got me into gambling, I was playing money matches against grown men by the time I was 15 :lol:
stueytrader

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 pm
stueytrader wrote:
It's not a bad sport to trade, the market never factors in pressure so you get lots of over reactions in price.

I've tried to trade it but just can't it's too painful, reminds me too much of my wasted youth! And worst of all it got me into gambling, I was playing money matches against grown men by the time I was 15 :lol:
I've read some autobiographies like Jimmy White and Willie Thorne - they all seem to mention the 'money matches', so guess it's a bit of a thing in snooker.

Can't imagine the same for an up and coming tennis player! :lol:
ShaunWhite

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:12 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 pm
stueytrader wrote:

I've read some autobiographies like Jimmy White and Willie Thorne - they all seem to mention the 'money matches', so guess it's a bit of a thing in snooker.

Can't imagine the same for an up and coming tennis player! :lol:
This was a good watch especially if you were around at the time ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... of-snooker
Screenshot_9.jpg
Derek27

Ten Chinese players charged with match-fixing, betting, manipulating games and approaching players to cheat.
Archangel

I used to enjoy watching the snooker back in the day. Alex Higgins would be pissed by end of frame 1 :)

I think Steve Davis just made less mistakes than the likes of Higgins, White etc. and he was probably sober :lol:
Michael5482

It's just all gone off at the snooker stop oil protester has jumped on one of the tables and threw orange powder over it

https://twitter.com/MaximumSnooker/stat ... 6081630208

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”