Where do you get your commission from?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Derek27

Up until now I've been entering my market P/Ls manually into an Access database. But that won't be practical if I leave automation running on hundreds of markets so I'm wondering, how do you guys calculate the commission you pay per market? I've looked at the Betfair data and it only includes profits post-commission.
LinusP

Using the API you can group by market giving you profit, commission and order count (probably not the answer you are looking for)
jamesedwards

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:10 am
Up until now I've been entering my market P/Ls manually into an Access database. But that won't be practical if I leave automation running on hundreds of markets so I'm wondering, how do you guys calculate the commission you pay per market? I've looked at the Betfair data and it only includes profits post-commission.
Perhaps naively I just use a simple calculation to work my implied commission back out based on my net Betfair P&L figure. Mind you my calculated weekly commission total never quite corresponds to the Betfair value. :lol:

Calc I use is below where X is the P&L value of a single market result.

=IFERROR(ROUND(IFS(X<0,X*-0.015,X>0,X*0.01*1.02040816326531),2),0)

For actual commission paid I just use the X*1.02040816326531 to work back 2% on non-Aus winning markets.
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:10 am
Perhaps naively I just use a simple calculation to work my implied commission back out based on my net Betfair P&L figure. Mind you my calculated weekly commission total never quite corresponds to the Betfair value. :lol:

Calc I use is below where X is the P&L value of a single market result.

=IFERROR(ROUND(IFS(X<0,X*-0.015,X>0,X*0.01*1.02040816326531),2),0)

For actual commission paid I just use the X*1.02040816326531 to work back 2% on non-Aus winning markets.
The problem with trying to reverse engineer Betfair data is that if you win 24 pence, there's no way of knowing if you've won 24 pence, or if you've won 25 pence and paid a penny commission.

I suppose this should be on the rant thread, but there's a lot of crap information on the downloadable Betfair data that nobody's likely to want, but crucial information like commission paid for a market is left out! What's even more annoying is that they have a field containing information like, Football / SE Palmeiras v Corinthians / Over/Under 3.5 Goals

Football, or the name of the sport should be in a separate field, so should the event name and market type. Even if you write code to separate the text between the "/" , "Over/Under" throws a spanner in the works.
ShaunWhite

I log my own gross then cross ref with the BF pl download (net) on sport/time. But I only do it because there's usually one or two that were void races or selections withdrawn late and I've logged a gross for bets that were void. Otherwise I just assume an avg if I'm backtesting. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to create a lookup for the various aus base rates and then apply your discount rate.
ShaunWhite

You could replace "over/under" with "over~under" before it goes through the parse? It's easier to prevent bad data going in to a system than it is to deal with it once it's in there.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:33 pm
You could replace "over/under" with "over~under" before it goes through the parse? It's easier to prevent bad data going in to a system than it is to deal with it once it's in there.
What if there's a new sport or football team called over or under?

It's quite frustrating that Betfair compile and provide so much data and still skip the essentials. You can probably guess what film clip you've reminded me of. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDUkR3DOFw&t=40s
Anbell

You can cross reference BF P&L with BF Betting Activity / Betting History / Settled
Derek27

Anbell wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 am
You can cross reference BF P&L with BF Betting Activity / Betting History / Settled
Thanks, but that just shows individual transactions, not market profits or commission.
Derek27

I suppose I could import all the transactions into a database but that's a flipping lot of data - possibly a 1000 transactions just to tell me I've won 50 pence and paid a penny commission!
Euler

Betfair calculate commission differently if you are on PC, so it's a murky area.
jamesedwards

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:44 pm
Betfair calculate commission differently if you are on PC, so it's a murky area.
What.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:44 pm
I was just referring to commission paid rather than generated, for accounting purposes. It would be nice if they included commission paid in one of the PL CSV downloads.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:33 pm
They really make work for you!! No separator between market and selection and they throw in the saddlecloth number in front of the horse's name! It's crazy we need to write code just to detect what sport we're trading. A simple "soccer" or "racing" wouldn't go amiss. :x
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

FFS!! They've got it on the bet history CSV but now the settled dates missing. :lol:

So you've got to read 2 files and connect the bet ID!

Return to “Betfair exchange”