Betfair got completely out of their friggin minds -£100 deposit limit

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Kai

napshnap wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:52 pm
ilovepizza82 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:19 am
Imagine "Steam" or "Origin" putting £25 monthly limit on your account because you spend too much money on video games...
...or Ebay because you have shopping addiction problem. Its getting ridicilous. Reminds me of Chinese social credit where they punish people if you dont buy healthy food or spend too much time playing video games. :? :lol:
Imagine financial trading apps putting a monthly limit... oh I can't go on, it's too hilarious to continue.
There are probably people that lost their trading bank on an outage and then got limited because of it, that one would hurt!

Overall the more security we seek, the less freedom we have :|
ShaunWhite

napshnap wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:14 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:57 pm
On the one hand they're imposing restrictions, while with the other they've sent me 4 x £5 free bets this month. Go figure.
They are hinting, Shaun, be on the alert!))
:D If they'd sent me 4 x £5,000 then maybe I could kickstart a habit. Hopefully next month it'll be 2 grams of Charlie.
napshnap

(delete, please)
Last edited by napshnap on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aperson

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:22 pm
aperson wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm
Euler wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:53 pm
More than the limit, I thought this was odd: -

too long on site.jpg
Genuine question. What do you say in reply to that to stop them restricting your account? I'm guessing "I have a large lifetime profit and therefore don't ever feel out of control with my gambling as I'm not a gambling addict" may not be best, even if it's true. They are asking you to prove a negative. I know I'm not a gambling addict, but how on earth do you prove to someone that's true. It's a joke.
As I said, tell them what you plan to do in the future because what you've done in the past isn't as relevant.?
Surely you're at risk of flagging your account up for closer scrutiny in doing that though.
ShaunWhite

aperson wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 pm
Surely you're at risk of flagging your account up for closer scrutiny in doing that though.
That's the plan. To get on the list so the automatic process doesn't flag me. Just hiding and hoping is a bit daft when you rely on them.
ANGELS15

What's also worrying is that in their blurb Betfair state that users shouldn't 'think of it as a way to make money'. Basically they want people to see it as recreational. I can't remember where exactly I've seen this but I know I've definately read it at least twice over the last 3 years. This is disturbing as it means if you tell them you do this for a living it may not necessarily cut it unless you've been consistently profitable for years or you're a pc payer.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:01 pm
aperson wrote:
That's the plan. To get on the list so the automatic process doesn't flag me. Just hiding and hoping is a bit daft when you rely on them.
I don't think you can pre-empt that as most of the processes appear to be highly automated. They closed my accounts instantly when I went to change my address. It was a clear mistake but I only corrected it quickly because I didn't need to use the help desk. I later found out that updating the address had flagged it to their system and rather than send it on for review, it just terminated my account.
Kai

I suppose in the long-term things could indeed snowball in the wrong directions, with the cancel culture in full effect etc, stranger things have happened in recent years.

Although clearly gambling itself is not the problem, problem is it makes for an easy target mainly because of the stigma around it, the public perception of it is similar to one of drug abuse which is ridiculous, might as well ban all activities that provide a dopamine rush.

If one really wanted to open the can of worms that is addictiveness, it's obviously a societal problem on a much larger scale, if it's all about customer retention and maximizing profit then everything nowadays will be made as addictive as possible and as accessible as possible, and in this peak consumerism era when combined with the after effects of social media which overall has a negative impact on mental health it also makes people more susceptible to addictiveness as well. This post-Covid era doesn't help either and only exacerbates the problem, if you can't have a balanced (social) life anymore how are you supposed to balance your "addictions" then?

And yet, being addicted to your smartphone or social media or mobile games seems perfectly acceptable, despite many products hiding behind layers and layers of paywalls and despite companies using psychology against their own customers to maximize addictiveness and thus their profit. EA with their FIFA is a good example here, they published the paper behind their PvP matchmaking algos and it's all about abusing psychology to maximize player retention, if their data shows that you won't stop playing if you keep getting smashed by much better players then it will keep matching you against them to make you lose until the algo is happy with your playtime, at which point it will gift you an easy match so that you can log off somewhat satisfied and come back for more next time.
Euler

I'm endlessly fascinated by human nature.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:27 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:01 pm
aperson wrote:
I don't think you can pre-empt that as most of the processes appear to be highly automated. They closed my accounts instantly when I went to change my address. It was a clear mistake but I only corrected it quickly because I didn't need to use the help desk. I later found out that updating the address had flagged it to their system and rather than send it on for review, it just terminated my account.
I didn't necessarily say it would stop it I was saying it wouldn't do any harm, and could be beneficial resolving future problems.

Your issue was resolved relatively easily and quickly in part because they know you, I'm suggesting anyone else who's serious should also try to establish a dialog with them, because good b2b relationships are 101 if you're approaching this with any degree of professionalism.

What would you suggest? I don't think it would be to just sit back and wait to find out if you're this week's victim.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:28 pm
What would you suggest? I don't think it would be to just sit back and wait to find out if you're this week's victim.
It seems quite popular to glue yourself to things. So maybe drive to Hammersmith and glue yourself to the doors?

But seriously, I hope that few are really affected and that Betfair are a bit more sensible in their approach. I have talked to them about these issues. But beyond this, I'm not sure how else I can influence things.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:03 pm
I have talked to them about these issues. But beyond this, I'm not sure how else I can influence things.
I'm not really looking for your intervention, besides that's just another version of people abducating personal responsibility.

All I was trying to do was brainstorm some practical advice. It's like the outages, you can either talk about how annoying they are or you can talk about mitigation and resilience. I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs here :) You're a successful guy so obviously know all about nurturing relationships and being proactive, perhaps some of the others could learn from that.

Return to “Betfair exchange”