Market manipulation on Betfair

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:49 pm
...why am I even engaging with this on a Saturday evening ! :lol:
I've got the heating up high, a jug of fresa colada in the fridge and the latin american top 20 on youtube. Party for two time, adios.....
For the challenge of turning a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist into a proficient and successful trader. :)
ShaunWhite

steven1976 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:42 pm
Why do horse racing markets attract so many matched bets across so many runners, compared to other sports within a small period of time?
It's a popular betting sport because there's so many races and the form is well known, but money often comes late because you can't form a final opinion on a horse till you've seen it.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 pm
For the challenge of turning a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist into a proficient and successful trader. :)
:D that's what you think but everything I'm suggesting is wrong..... Or is it?
stueytrader

MAGTRADEUK wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:04 am
Pre off seems to be the one where some really weird stuff can happen, and it isnt really clear whos doing what and when, what with people or establishments or x matching etc just a lot of algos maybe trading numbers and not as much relevance to the actual horse race, dont know, new to this. Traded financials before and thought would look at this, same sorts of things go on just got to get a grip with how dynamics of markets change.

This preceding discussion, and this issue in particular above, is exactly why I stopped simply 'flat trading' as a strict policy (i.e. looking to get out with a flat green/red). Sometimes it's better value to leave an unbalanced book at the off.

Because, sometimes trading moves have almost a big fat 'zero' relation to the actual value of a horse in a race. So sometimes a trader move tries to crush you with a red, but if you leave liability reasonable then sometimes it's better to leave that red - when the horse trails in last for example despite being smashed in by the pre market. The trick is to manage size however, and that can be more tricky, though not impossible.

Return to “Betfair exchange”