Closed Account

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Wonderwall

Hi, those numpties at Betfair have closed my account.

They said my "data usage profile represents that of a commercial user". I dispute that, as I look at charts on my computer screen and sometimes on my phone. I can't clock up much data.

They told me they can close any account they "feel" has breached that clause.

Am wondering what's the best way to go about getting my account re-opened, am assuming there's an Appeals process and they have to disclose when these breaches occurred to the Gambling Commission at least, who would make some decision perhaps ? Or do they escalate it internally to someone who looks at the data a bit more carefully. I wonder if there's some other reason they want to close my account and this reason is used as a handy reason ?

Any ideas ?
ShaunWhite

Sounds like you haven't been generating any commission and just using BF as a source of info. Contact BF customer support and explain that in future you intend to start placing some bets and they'll re-actiave your account.
Wonderwall

Hi Shaun, in fact I look at the data in order to backup and support my trades. Anything I trade on, I typically look at the chart beforehand to make sure its Value, be weird (but not impossible I suppose) not to right ? I suppose I will also look at charts and not trade, when I don't see them as Value, but I wouldn't say of an abnormal level to justify closing an account.
Wonderwall

I believe I pay standard 5% Betfair commissions.
Derek27

I'd be very surprised if there's an appeal process, I would expect the T&C to leave it entirely at Betfair's discretion. If you search the forum you should find others in the same predicament. Usually it just requires contacting Betfair and completing a form detailing how you intend to use the exchange in the future.
BetScalper

Since the merge there has been a big crack down. You maybe lucky and get your account back but don’t bet on it.

I had 2 warnings but they made it very clear that there wouldn’t be a third.

As such I now make sure I place at least 20 live trades above the minimum stake per week while I am testing new stuff.

And, it makes a big difference if you have streaming turned on instead of polling their servers.
ShaunWhite

Wonderwall wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 am
Hi Shaun, in fact I look at the data in order to backup and support my trades. Anything I trade on, I typically look at the chart beforehand to make sure its Value, be weird (but not impossible I suppose) not to right ? I suppose I will also look at charts and not trade, when I don't see them as Value, but I wouldn't say of an abnormal level to justify closing an account.
It's not the data you're using that's the problem, you can have data on every market 247 if you want. But you do need to generate some commission.
How much commission have you paid in the last week?
Wonderwall

Hi there, I don't know how much commission they took this week, as i can't login. When I took a look at my last 3 month download, there's 2000 bets in there and they took c.£ 100 Commissions out of that. I'm trading point by point in tennis or when a goal is scored in football and if the expected scenario don't arise, I back out gradually, so there's a lot of activity but not much in it for Betfair-I suppose.

That might be nearer the truth then, that am not generating enough Commission for them, so they use the data clause as a handy excuse........I think they should give a warning, then I would change my behaviour to suit ?

Scary stuff. Where will they draw the line ? If they go the full hog and only 60% premium charge players and born losers are allowed in, what does that say for Gambling Responsibly ?
Wonderwall

BetScalper wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:51 am
And, it makes a big difference if you have streaming turned on instead of polling their servers.
What does that mean pls ?
Wonderwall

I got sent these questions, any improvements I can do to beef up the suggested answers:

• For what purpose do you intend to you use your account?
Leisure only
• What sports and markets will you bet into?
Football & tennis
• Of the markets you read/view what percentage do you expect to place bets in?
100%
• What is your anticipated number of bets per market?
• What is your anticipated monthly betting volume?
£ 20000
• Do you work for a betting operator or any supplier to a betting operator, or have you in the past? If yes, please provide details.
No
BetScalper

Wonderwall wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:57 am
BetScalper wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:51 am
What does that mean pls ?
Go to into settings and turn on streaming 20ms speed.

Basically It means BF push the data to you rather than you constantly polling there servers at 200ms etc. So in some respects you stay under the radar.
pibe

Betfair just closed my account for the same reasons. I am new in this sports trading/gambling world, I was just trying to learn some things. My stakes were very low because of this (is this a crime?). I am even a loser player in betfair.

What are my options now?
Derek27

pibe wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 pm
Betfair just closed my account for the same reasons. I am new in this sports trading/gambling world, I was just trying to learn some things. My stakes were very low because of this (is this a crime?). I am even a loser player in betfair.

What are my options now?
Welcome to the forum pibe.

viewtopic.php?p=188271#p188271
Wildly

Wonderwall wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:07 am
I got sent these questions, any improvements I can do to beef up the suggested answers:

• What is your anticipated number of bets per market?

You mention trading point by point in tennis.
5 bets per market contradicts that
Kevynx1

Hi Guys.

I have just got the same account closure message as well.

I was cheating the syste by placing under £2.00 bets on the exchange so that may be why they closed the account.

TBH I am happy to place £2.00 stakes if that makes them happy but I got no warning or anything just account closed on yer bike :? :?

I will try and appeal and let them know that I am happy to do what needs to be doen to carry on.

Return to “Betfair exchange”