Betfair SP

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Bear's The Name

On the subject of Betfair SP, it's usually fairly reliable but every now and then something weird happens that I can't explain. For example, in tonight's 18:09 at Finger Lakes the 2nd fav was trading around 2.5 - 2.8 before the race but returned a Betfair SP of 6.55! The other runners didn't move from their final prices so the overround on the race ened up at 77%. Anyone have any idea why this might happen?

I have bet in thousands of American racing markets and I have seen odd moves but nothing remotely close to that before - can't remember a book ever coming in at under 90% even on the weaker tracks. This wasn't a weak market by the way - 21k+ traded which is on a par with most US action.
Bear's The Name

Same thing happened on 22:06 Hawthorne, odds on fav went off 4.62 on Betfair, 66k traded on market (huge for a US race) massively overbroke book and I noticed 3k lay liability on the horse at SP - again huge for USA. The horse won this time (unlike the one at Finger Lakes) so fingers burnt, or someone manipulating market?

I only draw attention to this because it is so unusual. Follow all US Racing, most nights for years and this is unprecedented.

If this had happened on a UK race people would be all over it on the forum but sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who does the US racing as it doesn't get much discussion.
chrisyedge

HI All,

I am really struggling to automated take SP for greyhound markets on unmatched bets. i have tried all i can think of but simply will not trigger. Obviously running in practice wont help as the bet will always match

Help
spreadbetting

Bear's The Name wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 pm

If this had happened on a UK race people would be all over it on the forum but sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who does the US racing as it doesn't get much discussion.
Sadly the US markets died a death a long time ago, I'd automate them but the start times are so unpredictable and just guides. The AUS racing by comparison is just perfect for botting they're rarely too far off the scheduled times.

Back in the day the US markets were so active the US racing forum was buzzing thnk a combination of things like PC, more evening racing in the UK and Betfair cutting back on the courses they covered all led to it's death.
Derek27

chrisyedge wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:26 pm
HI All,

I am really struggling to automated take SP for greyhound markets on unmatched bets. i have tried all i can think of but simply will not trigger. Obviously running in practice wont help as the bet will always match

Help
Hi chrisyedge, welcome to the forum.

You're more likely to get help if you start a new thread in the automation section and either post your baf file or explain what you've done.
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 pm
chrisyedge wrote:
HI All,

Help
Hi chrisyedge, welcome to the forum.

You're more likely to get help if you start a new thread in the automation section and either post your baf file or explain what you've done.
as the greys don't go IP, there will be no TakeSP available (i stand to be corrected as i don't party on the greys). AFAIK, TakeSP is only available on markets that go IP.
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:12 pm
as the greys don't go IP, there will be no TakeSP available (i stand to be corrected as i don't party on the greys). AFAIK, TakeSP is only available on markets that go IP.
Not sure you're right about that one Jim, you can't do a Keep In-Play but you can Take SP.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:26 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:12 pm
Not sure you're right about that one Jim, you can't do a Keep In-Play but you can Take SP.
I'm not sure either :D. but based on the original question, it seemed on analysis to be what could be happening. makes sense tho what you say tho (re Keep vs TakeSP)... will pop back for updates!
ShaunWhite

I was just being polite about the uncertainty Jim, you can't Keep but you can Take, I do it several hundered times a day ;)
Unmatched
Screenshot_8.png
Matched
Screenshot_9.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

chrisyedge wrote:
HI All,

Help
What size are the stakes your trying to take SP with?
The minimum stake for a back bet at SP is £2 (or the local currency equivalent). The minimum liability if laying is £10 (or the local currency equivalent).
Bear's The Name

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 pm
Bear's The Name wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Sadly the US markets died a death a long time ago, I'd automate them but the start times are so unpredictable and just guides. The AUS racing by comparison is just perfect for botting they're rarely too far off the scheduled times.

Back in the day the US markets were so active the US racing forum was buzzing thnk a combination of things like PC, more evening racing in the UK and Betfair cutting back on the courses they covered all led to it's death.
Hi spreadbetting. My way of getting around the off time problem is to set my bets to trigger not by the off time but by the time the market reaches a certain volume. Once it's reached say 8-10k there's plenty to work with and lots of volatily. I just seem to have an instinctive feel for the US markets unlike the AUS stuff which I've never managed to get my head round. Horses for courses I suppose.
lotora

Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm
chrisyedge wrote:
HI All,

Help
What size are the stakes your trying to take SP with?
The minimum stake for a back bet at SP is £2 (or the local currency equivalent). The minimum liability if laying is £10 (or the local currency equivalent).
Is it also the minimum stakes for all other countries except Australia (for take SP)?

Return to “Betfair exchange”