Betfair closed my account, i can’t withdraw my money 18141$.

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Dannyboy1

Am1go wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 am
Dannyboy1 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Anyway, don’t want to go too off topic so good luck am1go with your account.
Thank you!

Did you send a complaint to IBAS?
No, I don’t bother with IBAS. But maybe as you’re not from UK and legal action isn’t so easy you might want to submit a complaint to them.

Have you emailed [email protected]? (Didn’t help me at all but might be worth a try)
Dannyboy1

@Kai, I am down on my Betfair account but have large winnings elsewhere, which have been shown to them. In addition to that, the amounts I have deposited to Betfair are a very small % of my “net wealth” (which I’ve proved to them). I’ve been through this source of wealth process with 10’s of bookies before and never experienced anything like this. In fact, it’s a process which lasts a day or two max usually.
Dannyboy1

Oh and on top of all this, in April, I had a rather large (19k at 2.8) inplay bet queueing to be matched and they suspended my account for “responsible gambling”. Bear in mind I have been placing these types of bets and larger weekly, for almost a decade.
I could not access my account to see if the bet was matched or cancel it and it took them 5 days to unlock it. I lost 11k because of that.
Naffman

Dannyboy1 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:08 am
Oh and on top of all this, in April, I had a rather large (19k at 2.8) inplay bet queueing to be matched and they suspended my account for “responsible gambling”. Bear in mind I have been placing these types of bets and larger weekly, for almost a decade.
I could not access my account to see if the bet was matched or cancel it and it took them 5 days to unlock it. I lost 11k because of that.
That sucks!

I love how on my account it says my main wallet limit is 10k yet my exchange games wallet I can bet up to 100k despite never once using it
ilovepizza82

How come you have 10k limit and I only 5k ?
How can you raise your limits ?
Naffman

ilovepizza82 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:26 am
How come you have 10k limit and I only 5k ?
How can you raise your limits ?
You have to ask them but I tried to raise it up to 15k from 10k and you have to either hit the 10k or be very close to that exposure amount, otherwise they won't do it.
Kai

Dannyboy1 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 am
@Kai, I am down on my Betfair account but have large winnings elsewhere, which have been shown to them. In addition to that, the amounts I have deposited to Betfair are a very small % of my “net wealth” (which I’ve proved to them). I’ve been through this source of wealth process with 10’s of bookies before and never experienced anything like this. In fact, it’s a process which lasts a day or two max usually.
Thank you for clearing that up, despite it being a touchy subject for most people. In that case I am slightly less shocked with their behavior but it still seems way over the top with what they're putting you and OP through.

In OP's case especially, maybe from Betfair's perspective seeing a foreign account with large deposits may seem like a relatively easy cashgrab, not really sure whether that's the irrational fear part talking or if it's a very real fear of losing both your funds and more importantly your invaluable trading account, especially if you add various restricted territory elements into the mix as well.
Am1go

Dannyboy1 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:52 am
Have you emailed [email protected]? (Didn’t help me at all but might be worth a try)
yes, I communicate with them initially.
Am1go

Thanks everyone! Problem is solved, i got money!
Kai

Great news indeed, happy for you man.

It would probably be helpful if you could leave a few tips or guidelines (lol, if there's any) in the thread at the end for future reference, now that you've went through the whole ordeal and process etc :)

I have a feeling you won't be the last person to go through something like his, since moving money around nowadays is getting increasingly more difficult and annoying for everyone.
gutuami

it might be that they are reading this forum as well. so posting here somehow might help people
Naffman

Am1go wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:33 pm
Thanks everyone! Problem is solved, i got money!
Great news
rcherrett

Dannyboy1 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:24 pm
eightbo wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 pm
Guess they wanted to inflate the Q2 earnings. In all seriousness though, this is scary.

Can't see you both not being returned the sums back but you do wonder why they're dragging it out so much and no straight answer as to why is comical.

Where are both of your accounts registered and are there costs involved with the legal process?
I’ll get the money back one way or another but it’s not ideal having 60k+ tied up for all these months. I am from the UK and my account is registered in UK. When I read similar threads to this I never thought it’d happen to me but just goes to show. I’ve been to many betfair events, am a betfair VIP with account manager for almost a decade.

The letter before action will cost me a small amount -
Plus an additional 10% of my balance to take it to court (I think). Those fees will be added to amount I pursue them for.

Anyway, don’t want to go too off topic so good luck am1go with your account.
Interesting (and concerning!) to read this, as I am approx 2 weeks into what looks like a very similar situation (exchange customer with a few years' history, similar account balance, being ignored so far). I guess I'll wait a while to see if my situation resolves before taking any further action, but would be very interested to hear where you get to. I can't understand the reasoning behind it - fair enough if initially they are being cautious on money laundering regs compliance, but why drag something out for so long with total inaction, during which time they are not earning commissions/PC which they otherwise would from a substantial active account?

Return to “Betfair exchange”