Betfair has closed my account on 'business grounds'

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Derek27

whyzee wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi, guys! Had the same issue - account closed "on business grounds", several days ago. Got it resolved.

Nov 14. Answer from support via BF ios app:
"Advise customer that account is closed on business grounds due to market data control reasons. Funds can be returned."
Nov. 16. Answer from BF Developers support (https://betfairdevelopersupport.zendesk ... quests/new):
"Apologies, we've been having issues with vendor data recently which has been resolved; your account was not showing your vendor betting activity but only your reading which is in excess of over 25 million requests. I've now re-opened your account as I can see your active betting history. However, where possible could you please try minimize your data requests as 25 million requests is a very large volume. Please ensure you close down any software/exchange websites when you are not actively betting."

Guess I've been overusing Practice Mode recently ;)
Hope this helps and good luck.
Pleased to hear that. 25 million data requests is undoubtedly a lot, but did they give any timeframe over which those requests took place?
whyzee

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 pm
whyzee wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi, guys! Had the same issue - account closed "on business grounds", several days ago. Got it resolved.

Nov 14. Answer from support via BF ios app:
"Advise customer that account is closed on business grounds due to market data control reasons. Funds can be returned."
Nov. 16. Answer from BF Developers support (https://betfairdevelopersupport.zendesk ... quests/new):
"Apologies, we've been having issues with vendor data recently which has been resolved; your account was not showing your vendor betting activity but only your reading which is in excess of over 25 million requests. I've now re-opened your account as I can see your active betting history. However, where possible could you please try minimize your data requests as 25 million requests is a very large volume. Please ensure you close down any software/exchange websites when you are not actively betting."

Guess I've been overusing Practice Mode recently ;)
Hope this helps and good luck.
Pleased to hear that. 25 million data requests is undoubtedly a lot, but did they give any timeframe over which those requests took place?

They did not. However, I assume that major part of those happened during last 2 months: I took second laptop and have been launching automation on it almost daily. That's at least 600 football matches with 7-8 markets on each in guardian.

Not the smartest thing to do, as I can see now. Learning some basic programming and analyzing historical data would have yielded better results and cause less problems.
jamesedwards

How would I go about calculating the amount of data requests I am making from Betfair? I have many complicated Guardian automations running (real mode) that collect data but I have always assumed this places strain only onto Guardian rather than Betfair but how can I tell? Not keen to fall foul of this myself...
Dallas

Just to add an update here, we have since heard from Betfair RE these excessive data requests in their millions and Betfair have said this is due to customers keeping the Betfair site open while logged in but not betting over a sustained period of time.

Which was a bit surprising as I (like many others) have the BF site open all day as a backup against any problems with the API.

Its possible there is a 'refresh' option in there somewhere among the settings (but not looked yet), and if so maybe some of those who have hit these high data requests have increased this at some point.

But either way just something to be aware of
LeTiss

When they say logged into the the Betfair site.......are they including being logged into our accounts on the API?
Dallas

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:51 am
When they say logged into the the Betfair site.......are they including being logged into our accounts on the API?
It sounded like they were, but that the vast bulk of these data requests were coming from having one or more website logins active rather than through BA or other API connections
LeTiss

I'm sure I'm not alone here, but I often am logged into Betfair Live Video, whilst trading on Bet Angel

This lack of clarity makes me a little nervous!!
sniffer66

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 am
I'm sure I'm not alone here, but I often am logged into Betfair Live Video, whilst trading on Bet Angel

Me too. I have the BF site open for days on end. Can't see anything in the settings to reduce refresh rates either
Dallas

LeTiss wrote:

The live video shouldn't make any difference (i'm logged into that to all day to) and there wasn't any reference to it from BF, they only said it was there main website where data is being pulled from, it also likely the page your sat on could make a big difference
weemac

Navigate to a horse race, and in "Settings:Betting" (top right) there's a refresh rate option ranging from 1-15 secs refresh, but I think that only applies to the event your browser is currently looking at. I've never seen an overall site refresh option.
sniffer66

weemac wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 am
Navigate to a horse race, and in "Settings:Betting" (top right) there's a refresh rate option ranging from 1-15 secs refresh, but I think that only applies to the event your browser is currently looking at. I've never seen an overall site refresh option.
Cheers.

That implies that if you have the site open but not a specific market then you aren't grabbing data ?
Tetras

The home page has a feed to lots of markets, I could imagine it's even worse than one market? The P&L page I'd assume was safe?
LeTiss

Dallas wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:21 am
LeTiss wrote:

The live video shouldn't make any difference (i'm logged into that to all day to) and there wasn't any reference to it from BF, they only said it was there main website where data is being pulled from, it also likely the page your sat on could make a big difference
What about Guardian and the storing of values?

If BF are starting to move the goalposts, what sort of stuff will suddenly appear on the radar

I don't trust them, Dallas!!
eightbo

Can't see them turning away established customers with a direct ban in same fashion as OP.
PP/BF (flutter ?) have their moments but one's thing for sure they like to fatten the goose so hard to see much concern for active players imo.

Would expect a warning email first allowing for chance to adjust at the very least.
wearthefoxhat

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:21 am
LeTiss wrote:

Me too. I have the BF site open for days on end. Can't see anything in the settings to reduce refresh rates either
You can vary the refresh rate range from 1 second to 15 seconds. (might be worth using 15 for a while)

Top right of Betfair page.

settings.png
betting.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Betfair exchange”