Betfair Account Restrictions & closed accounts - Getting them removed and accounts reopened

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:10 pm
Cheers Derek I will take on-board your thoughts. Moving house is stressful enough without this nonsense adding to it. Even Euler (the most prominent public Betfairer out there) has had issues with this. :roll:
Peter is subject to the same Betfair computer system and procedures as all of us. The only difference is he'll get it sorted out quickly when he gets in touch with them while the rest of us have to go through live chat and hit our heads against a brick wall for a few days. ;)

From my experience, the best thing to do when you've spoken to a Betfair rep who's completely ignorant and unhelpful is to end the chat, have a drink, do something else for a few hours and try again. Eventually you'll get through to somebody who's helpful. There are a few but they're like golddust. :)
Emmson

My worry that I 1st mentioned here last August is finally going to be tested on Monday, that is how long it takes to move house after my 1st move fell through. :evil: If the person who lived there previously was a betfair customer will I have my account closed? I just don't want any of that nonsense. Please let the chap moving out be a god fearing ascetic.
Emmson

Emmson wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 pm
My worry that I 1st mentioned here last August is finally going to be tested on Monday, that is how long it takes to move house after my 1st move fell through. :evil: If the person who lived there previously was a betfair customer will I have my account closed? I just don't want any of that nonsense. Please let the chap moving out be a god fearing ascetic.
OK it seems to be done and relatively though not completely smoothly it went, I thought I should go on live chat and inform them 1st before I change my address, and so they actually did it for me.

Until new broadband is installed I'm trading on mobile data. :?
jimibt

Emmson wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:48 pm
Emmson wrote:
OK it seems to be done and relatively though not completely smoothly it went, I thought I should go on live chat and inform them 1st before I change my address, and so they actually did it for me.

i'm in an in-between stage that's not too dissimilar. moved to our new address in jan, but not yet sold our previous place and have my BF account registered there still. who knows what kind of chaos will be thrown up as records will show a bit of a combo of address change notifications to various parties at different times. one annoying aspect is indeed my broadband. altho I'm now sorted out in the new place and running, I wasn't able to cancel my old address provision without incurring a £150 early close of contract fee. so, have just left it to run for now... this is why i'll never be rich - all about the small print! :D
jamesedwards

Emmson wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:48 pm
Emmson wrote:

I trade in-running with pictures using my mobile data connection when my home broadband occasionally gets unstable. Always seems to work fine and I wonder sometimes whether it's worth paying for the top-tier connection speed that I do.
Grinderman

They are at it again !!!!

Topped my account up by £5k over the weekend as trading US Open, Ashes test and ready for Ascot. Got the 'We need to contact you' email and then had a 90 minute online 'are you sure you know what you are doing chat' with the Customer Prevention Team.

Result is, account suspended. Now unsuspende, but with a £100 per month spend cap on it.

This with an account that's in profit and has been for years.
Michael5482

Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:04 pm

Topped my account up by £5k over the weekend as trading US Open, Ashes test and ready for Ascot. Got the 'We need to contact you' email and then had a 90 minute online 'are you sure you know what you are doing chat' with the Customer Prevention Team.

Result is, account suspended. Now unsuspende, but with a £100 per month spend cap on it.

Is the 5k deposit normal behavior i.e. you regularly deposit large sums or is this a one off? If it isn't it's maybe why your account has been flagged for unusual behavior?

Betfair have recently been involved at the inquest over a potential gambling related suicide where they have admitted they could of done more to assist the individual. I understand the individual deposited circa 2.5k in one day but Betfair classed it as not being unusual for it's exchange customer base. Maybe they have tightened up on deposits on the back of this.

A few of threads over the last year or so have discussed the white paper/deposits/restrictions etc The general advice I took from it was stop depositing and manage/build your balance to circumvent the issue of checks/restrictions on deposits.

I hope you can get your spend cap sorted going forward.
Naffman

Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:04 pm

Welcome to the club ;)

Betfair are easily the strictest, I've deposited about 5k into Smarkets with almost no P/L history and they didn't bat an eye
Grinderman

Yes, I've been in the club previously (I'm the OP from a couple of years ago), got out of it and now I'm back in it.

I have tried to keep withdrawals and deposits infrequent and that kept them quiet. But with The Summer Of Sport, thought I'd top up from £15k to £20k.

It shouldn't affect me too much though as my money is in. A big withdrawal triggered it last time and it would have taken an awful long time to get it back in at £100 per month.
weemac

Why would a withdrawal trigger it?
Grinderman

weemac wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:38 pm
That's what I asked in the post originally. Doesn't make sense to me, but the feeling was that if you need to w/d money, you must need it. Therefore, problem gambler.
Derek27

Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:24 pm
weemac wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:38 pm
That's what I asked in the post originally. Doesn't make sense to me, but the feeling was that if you need to w/d money, you must need it. Therefore, problem gambler.
I'm pretty sure withdrawals are no problem. Nobody would place £50 on a 5/1 winner with a bookie and say "Keep the winnings, I don't need it". :)

I never deposit. I used to deposit large amounts when I was arbing but with all the horror stories I've heard, I'd be shit scared to deposit and hope I never need to.
Grinderman

Yeah, but try withdrawing £15k because you are going on holiday for a few weeks and don't want it sitting in their account. They will notice.
Derek27

Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:01 pm
Yeah, but try withdrawing £15k because you are going on holiday for a few weeks and don't want it sitting in their account. They will notice.
It's not withdrawing £15K that's the problem, it's putting it back. ;)

It seems they have a very unsophisticated system that looks at gross rather than net deposits.
jamesedwards

Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:01 pm
I've been told by Betfair in the past that withdrawals will never trigger deposit limits, at least not from a player protection perspective. It is only losses and deposits.

That said I always limit a withdrawal to below £10k as it just feels less risky.

Hope you can get something sorted. Are you a 'Priority' account? If so you can ask to be put through to the Priority team who are much more switched on and supportive.

Return to “Betfair exchange”