Betfair Account Closed - Help!!

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
neilbard

Hi all,

I have just had a similar experience with my account being first suspended then closed a week later, it has taken me 3 weeks to sort out.

I did what was advised on this forum and emailed Peter Jackson directly in the end,

fair play to him he forwarded my email onto their complaints team who have dealt with it superbly.

My advice to anyone in the early stages is be very compliant with Betfair in what they ask you for, if you've done nothing wrong your account will be reinstated,

it just takes a few weeks.

The documents I had to submit were private which is a tad annoying but if you still want your Betfair account you will have to jump through hoops sadly.

I'm now off to procure myself a mortgage it will be far easier. lol

Cheers

Neil.
leewillo75

Account since 2005 closed last week for I quote on business grounds

Spent hours via live chat and customer champion team wont provide an exact reason and as per their t&c's they dont have to.

IBAS informed me of that fact.

Sent a few emails to Peter Jackson, all ignored.

The time has really come for this industry to get proper regulation becuase at the moment the bookmakers can do as they please with no avenue open to the customer to be able to complain independently.

I lodged a complaint, wasnt even contacted by Betfair just got a standard answer within 24 hours saying deadlock reached please refer to IBAS etc
ShaunWhite

Out of curiosity and to help others avoid the same thing, did you recently change your betting patterns, regularly deplete your account or make regular mid-session deposits? The precise reasons obviously can't be explained as that would be self defeating but when the likelihood of suspensions increased I did some looking around for the metrics that might be applied (with the view to being careful) and found a number of papers on the topic including this quite interesting one recently.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 22-10144-4

I'm sorry it's too late for your situation but maybe not for others with judicious account management.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Derek27

leewillo75 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:40 pm
Account since 2005 closed last week for I quote on business grounds

Spent hours via live chat and customer champion team wont provide an exact reason and as per their t&c's they dont have to.

IBAS informed me of that fact.

Sent a few emails to Peter Jackson, all ignored.

The time has really come for this industry to get proper regulation becuase at the moment the bookmakers can do as they please with no avenue open to the customer to be able to complain independently.

I lodged a complaint, wasnt even contacted by Betfair just got a standard answer within 24 hours saying deadlock reached please refer to IBAS etc
I'm sorry to hear that leewillo75, unfortunately we're in the dark as to why Betfair randomly close accounts.

Is there anything that's changed in the last few years that would make you less of an interest to them? I'm talking about things such as profitability, PC, commission paid/generated, transactions, bets placed, turnover, deposits, withdrawals, API usage, etc. Were you able to get your funds back without difficulty?
Dim

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:45 pm
Out of curiosity and to help others avoid the same thing, did you recently change your betting patterns, regularly deplete your account or make regular mid-session deposits? The precise reasons obviously can't be explained as that would be self defeating but when the likelihood of suspensions increased I did some looking around for the metrics that might be applied (with the view to being careful) and found a number of papers on the topic including this quite interesting one recently.

I'm sorry it's too late for your situation but maybe not for others with judicious account management.
thanks for the link, interesting read.
I wounder is there a some point in the future , where regulations would stop...
leewillo75

thanks for the posts. Looks like my emails to Peter Jackson whilst not replied to directly have been passed onto their customer complaints team. However it is being dealt with by the same person that stone walled me with basic standard replies when I complained re the account closure.

No my betting habits have not changed nor has my API usage changed either.

Time will tell ... but this industry is crying out for proper regulation and quick
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:

Thanks for posting, Shaun. That's a brilliant read, I've not seen that before

Anyone here who thinks they have a foolproof system for chasing losses.....will probably end up having their accounts closed
It appears loss chasing is one of the things they are clamping down on
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:

What I also find interesting about this article(worryingly) is that it also highlights people who take their accounts down to £0
Does this simply apply to those who literally punt their accounts away, or does it also apply to traders who have used their whole bank for a trade with an offset placed?
Sometimes I will have momentarily used my whole bank on Bet Angel with an offset, but if I then sign into Betfair I get a message telling me I have no money and I need to deposit :o

Maybe we all need to think twice about staking and not doing 'full bank' trades
Naffman

leewillo75 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:48 am
thanks for the posts. Looks like my emails to Peter Jackson whilst not replied to directly have been passed onto their customer complaints team. However it is being dealt with by the same person that stone walled me with basic standard replies when I complained re the account closure.

No my betting habits have not changed nor has my API usage changed either.

Time will tell ... but this industry is crying out for proper regulation and quick
That's crap innit, I had the same problem where the low-level guys said 'no you're not getting your account back and you're not getting your funds either', I emailed PJ and it was sorted 24 hours but still it's shocking service.

I was in Norway at the time where BF is legal but I'm guessing it must've triggered a security check or something, but still to not even look into it but rather just close the account is ridiculous!
verance

If it was closed due to possible problem gambling, they would say that and not 'business grounds'?
Archangel

How scary is that, if Betfair is your main source of income, it could be gone at any moment, and with no explanation :o
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:59 am
👍All we can do is stay informed esp if its your living. When the restrictions started I know a few (incl me) who allowed their balance to grow so that even bad patches don't mean you have to deposit. If you don't deposit then it's hard to argue you can't afford it. Not much of a solution for leisure punters but it's one of the few things we can do to try and reduce the risk.

Re the liability exposure issue you mentioned, I only have what I need in my Main wallet (to guard against automation cock ups) and keep some in my Poker or Games wallet. Total account balance always stays +ve that way.

Speaking of liability, liability re-use appears to be coming on stream so making an enquiry about that (even if you don't plan to do it) would be another way to try and demonstrate how serious you are. The most recent PC newsletter mentioned it.

They aren't cast iron fixes and we can all agree they shouldn't be necessary but you just have to do everything you can and cross your fingers, at least you'll have some strong arguments if you fall foul of it.
whimsies

Spoke to Belfair last week due to a problems I had, they informed me during the conversation they are having a big issue with people cross matching family and friends accounts "money Laundering" and market manipulation which they are trying to clamp down on.
Dim

whimsies wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:10 pm
Spoke to Belfair last week due to a problems I had, they informed me during the conversation they are having a big issue with people cross matching family and friends accounts "money Laundering" and market manipulation which they are trying to clamp down on.
market manipulation , interesting what whey mean by that. spoofing is to become illegal ?!
And is dragging a large order viewed as manipulation, I think it is, And if you front run a large order , well, that is taking advantage of that. Betfair in a downhill....
napshnap

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:35 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:59 am
liability re-use appears to be coming on stream
Can you explain this, Shaun. Is it some new feature coming?

Return to “Betfair exchange”