Betfair Issue

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Swamidee

I'm sure many have had this problem before, On the Man U match this evening I greened up after Utd scored only to find later on that my Betfair balance was showing a loss for the match (it's not a kings ransom only a few pounds). I suspected a brain freeze on my part, but checking my log it showed the green-up was indeed actioned.

Has anyone had experience of this before. Its not a problem with tiny stakes, though annoying, but I can imagine it would sting mightily with larger stakes..is there a remedy? BF customer service drives me scatty.
Thanks
D
Andriy

Since the match finished 0-0, i presume the goal was subsequently disallowed by VAR. In that case the greening up bet would be retrospectively cancelled (all bets going back to when goal scored). So if prematch bet was Man U to win (with you hoping to green up in game), you will have lost.
Swamidee

Andriy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:16 am
Since the match finished 0-0, i presume the goal was subsequently disallowed by VAR. In that case the greening up bet would be retrospectively cancelled (all bets going back to when goal scored). So if prematch bet was Man U to win (with you hoping to green up in game), you will have lost.
:lol: Note to self .... Check the score!

How bizarre though. Most of us trade a few markets simultaneously, once I've greened up I'm pretty much out of there, assuming all is dandy and don't really have a care for the final score. This could be a costly affair!! lesson learned...maybe.
Spud87

A game started before Betfair turned the market in play. During this time I placed relatively large stakes and caught a very nice swing. Felt great with a nice $500 green up. Checked the balance this morning to see they did not credit me the profit.
I understand they have not accepted the bets during the period of in play but unsuspended. But this has left me in the red as the B.A green up calcs layed off heavy assuming the bets were accepted.
Has anyone experienced this before? Is there anything that can be done? Is it worth kicking up a stink with Betfair? :oops: :cry: :evil:
Tuco

I fell foul to this very issue recently with Betfair in the FA Cup Final last Saturday between Chelsea and Leicester City - "FA Cup - Outright Winner 2020/21"

When Leicester scored I backed Leicester in the "FA Cup Outright Winner Market" which was in-play, and my back bet was matched. The screen reflected my new position with Leicester a nice green.

However, the commentators then said it was going to VAR so I quickly greened up and was also matched. The screen reflected my new position with both teams green.

VAR decided the Leicester goal stood, so Leicester were 1-0 up.

(During all of this the market suspended and unsuspended several times.)

Then I noticed that my back of Leicester had been voided but not the subsequent green-up lay leaving me holding an undesired Leicester red and unwanted Chelsea green.

There was still plenty of time for a Chelsea goal so I didn't panic.

Chelsea then scored with a late Leicester City own goal by Wes Morgan, and in the same outright market I backed Chelsea and was matched.

However, the commentators again said it was going to VAR so I quickly backed Leicester City and was matched in all of the confusion.

(During all of this the market also suspended and unsuspended several times.)

VAR decided the Chelsea goal did not stand due to Chilwell being a millimetre offside in the build-up to the goal when he was in a local supermarket sometime last week, so Leicester remained 1-0 up.

Then I noticed that my back of Leicester had been voided but not the back of Chelsea leaving me holding an even larger undesired Leicester red and larger unwanted Chelsea green.

That's how it finished so I took matters up with Betfair.

There were four matched bets of note, all placed during the match with the market in-play, to which Betfair advised as follows:

The first matched bet being a back of Leicester City when they scored was at a time when Betfair were late in suspending the market, so the bet was subsequently voided.

The second matched bet (Leicester green-up lay) stood as the market was unsuspended. (Note this second green-up lay bet was placed and matched before Betfair had voided the first Leicester City back bet, otherwise BetAngel wouldn't have shown the green-up positions in the left-most ladder column).

The third matched bet being a back of Chelsea they said stood as it wasn't during a period when Betfair should have suspended the market (bullsh!t).

The fourth matched bet being a back of Leicester they said was subsequently voided as it was matched during a period when there was an ongoing VAR check.

There is never any point in challenging Betfair even when you know they have settled a market incorrectly (which has happened to me before in F1) - it is their game, their ball, they are the referee and they are picking sides first and having the extra player as there are an odd number of players - in a sentence they are Judge, Jury AND Executioner in their position of Monopoly and will not listen to your protestations!

The best policy is when asked, to kneel down and clean their boots with your tongue...and then not complain, moan or groan when you stand up and those same now clean boots kick you in the bollocks twice by way of a thank you!

Every day is a brand new day to learn: The lesson I learnt last Saturday is that I will no longer play outright football markets when they reach the final.

How can you possibly play a market in which Betfair at any time (even after the match has finished!), decide which, if any or all, of your matched bets are voided as they so decide with you having no recourse to challenge their decision?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redhead

This has happened twice over the last 5 days on the tennis, well twice that I've noticed as I had open positions in these markets.

On Saturday Betfair randomly voided bets in the match between Badosa & Konjuh but the positions were still showing in Bet Angel, this rendered the match untradable as you didnt know where you were and Betfair refused to tell me why the bets were voided.

Today in the match between Alexandrova & Burell, the same thing happened, bets were voided early into the match but still showed up in Bet Angel.

Now, considering whats been said above, HOW CAN ANYONE HAVE CONFIDENCE entering a market where bets have been voided IF Betfair can honour some and let others ride?

The exchange is dead, liquidity is an illusion bar a few events and Betfair are a law unto themselves acting criminally.

I remember the days where you could throw thousands through markets but now no-one in there right mind would put more than £25 in due to the shenanigans of Betfair.

Killing the golden goose springs to mind, but I guess thats what corporate parasites do...............take a brilliant idea and destroy it through greed & incompetence.
Crazyskier

This has happened to me also and the nightmare is when you think you're greening up, only to find the opposing bet is valid but the original bet is LATER deemed void.

It doesn't happen too often but we are indeed at the whim of Betfair and which bets they deem as valid and which they void - even after the event!

For this reason I don't go too gung-ho in-play stakes wise.

CS
Spud87

@ Tuco
Rough go mate, particularly with the back bet on Chelsea being accepted. It appears a risky strategy dancing around the goals like that considering the possibilities of the goal being overturned and the mystery of what bets B.F will accept amidst all the market suspensions. I don't play the football markets, so I have no idea. Hopefully your example is more the exception than the rule.
@ Redhead
That's wild. Pretty annoying spending the time doing your prep work establishing your position all to come undone without rhyme or reason. Confidence would be extremely low until working out exactly what caused it. Hopefully your unmatched bet lost and you saved a penny.
@Crazyskier
Exactly. My nightmare arrived with my morning cuppa, before another day trading. I didn't do well that day :lol:

As for me, Tuco's attachments clearly show it to be my own rookie mistake. Lesson learned, move on.

Return to “Betfair exchange”