PASSIVE BET DELAY

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Seth

PDC wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:54 pm
Euler wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:46 pm
I think I'd define liquidity as money that is offered and at-risk and then matched. If it's offered and cancelled you can't define that as 'liquidity'.
That's what I struggle to see this helping? More money will be offered, but what does it do to get more people taking prices. I feel it is market takers that need attracting not market makers.
Market takers only ever bet if there are bets on display and at the moment the x-matcher takes away so much liquidity by matching prices off camera, so to speak. That liquidity never sees light of day on the exchange itself. Bets coming to the market outside the matcher's over-round/under-round book and landing without a delay should hopefully at least increase the impression of liquidity and give market takers something to aim for.
Kai

They really should do something about it, some of the bet delays in football are stupid long. It's beyond annoying trying to trade around it, not to mention the additional mental delay after you've had a few drinks. Derek will know what I'm talking about!
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:16 pm
They really should do something about it, some of the bet delays in football are stupid long. It's beyond annoying trying to trade around it, not to mention the additional mental delay after you've had a few drinks. Derek will know what I'm talking about!
When I've had a few drinks, 12 seconds = -5 minutes, when you remember you've opened a trade. :D
Derek27

I placed a passive 3-figure back bet on the Reading/Bournemouth match and while I sat and waited, a 4-figure lay flashed once or twice at the same price. I'd like to think under the new proposals there'd be a better chance of my bet being matched (if it was submitted milliseconds before the flasher) but I suspect the flashers will go elsewhere, like dark alleyways in the early hours.
weemac

Isn't flashing just a zero second F.O.K.? When I place one it momentarily appears in the empty odds box and then it's gone in a .......flash.
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:39 pm
Isn't flashing just a zero second F.O.K.? When I place one it momentarily appears in the empty odds box and then it's gone in a .......flash.
I've often wondered why people do it but now it makes sense: take if still available but don't leave as an offer. And I've just compared half the forum to flashers. :lol:
ShaunWhite

weemac wrote:
Strictly speaking all FOK orders cancel instantly if they're not matched on arrival, but some parts of the sports betting world have hijacked the term to describe orders that expire/auto cancel.

Betfair facilitate both, although I'm not sure why/if true FOKs ever appear as being unmatched because they never actually are.
Screenshot_9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Golfer

Obvs we would all like more market takers == fish. Customer acquisition is very expensive and we win at far too fast a rate...hence PC. Does this experiment encourage the bigger fish to go head to head?

All relative but BF seem more engaged with exchange customers now than 3+ years ago. Not talking to old customers =! no interest in the exchange.
Seth

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:24 am
weemac wrote:
Strictly speaking all FOK orders cancel instantly if they're not matched on arrival, but some parts of the sports betting world have hijacked the term to describe orders that expire/auto cancel.

Betfair facilitate both, although I'm not sure why/if true FOKs ever appear as being unmatched because they never actually are.
Screenshot_9.jpg

Most people use off the shelf software to place their fill and kill bets and I doubt many are coded to use the Timeinforce parameter, as that's relatively new. Most software would need the betId to then send a Cancel request for their 0 fill/kill functions.
megarain

The min fill size worries me a bit.

Does this mean, that an order that sends a min fill size of say 50k, will get nothing matched unless 50k is available on the exchange ?
min fill size.jpg
When did this min fill size parameter become operational ?

There is a team sweeping up 100k orders on the T0 world Cup cricket, getting filed after 2 secs.

I wonder if they are submitting bets 3 secs before action (having sub-accounts fill liquidity), which they cancel if they dont want the bet, as limit isnt met.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I've done some work for bodies related to integrity and have seen direct evidence that 'insiders' are using this sort of technology to their advantage. Whether it is still going on is difficult to know. but it's like jelly. It's difficult to stamp on.
Euler

megarain wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 am
There is a team sweeping up 100k orders on the T20 world Cup cricket, getting filed after 2 secs.

I wonder if they are submitting bets 3 secs before action (having sub-accounts fill liquidity), which they cancel if they dont want the bet, as limit isnt met.
Way back people worked out a loophole in football betting like this.
megarain

When did min fill size come in ?

Sceptics would say Betfair are in cohorts with teams doing this, as they get 40% PC.
Derek27

How does a minimum fill size work? If somebody puts in a £500 order with MFS of £500 and I try to take £20 of it, what happens?

Return to “Betfair exchange”