Min Fill Size

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Euler

You can self match on Betfair as far as I am aware.
napshnap

Euler wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:04 pm
You can self match on Betfair as far as I am aware.
̶A̶f̶a̶i̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶)̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶,̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶p̶i̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶g̶u̶e̶.̶
Last edited by napshnap on Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

OK, you mean on the same account, i.e. non scratch that shows as volume?
napshnap

Euler wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:28 pm
OK, you mean on the same account, i.e. non scratch that shows as volume?

UPD. WOW, sorry, actually it IS showing matched trades but no matched volume on a ladder, my bad :oops: . How the h I've never noticed that? :o
Last edited by napshnap on Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Derek27

When Betfair used to do best odds guaranteed promotions their algorithm excluded self-matched bets, so it's possible self-matched bets are excluded from the MFS algo, in which case you'd need another account. Then again, you could fall fowl of Betfair's rules, transferring money from one account to another and raise suspiction.
Golfer

Megarain - do you have any footage of the 100k sweeps?
megarain

The T20 World cup feeds are v slow.

PTV (a Free-to-air- channel on 38E) seems to have the fastest feed, maybe 5-6 secs behind live - so Its impossible for me to
sync pictures to the market.

If it happens on other events I have faster pics on, I will record.

Maybe the in-play traders are paranoid - but too many have been affected in Dubai - so tend to believe them.

These traders raised issues with Betfair CS, but got no-where, and they are reluctant to force the issue on social media, fearing
they will be labelled court siders etc (Am not sure I see the problem, but whatever).
megarain

The slack channel seems to indicate Betfair police abuse.

Great - maybe they do a huge amount we are not privy to, but by random chance, I would have expected to have been caught up
in traders abusing the market.

In 20 yrs, I have never had a payment from Betfair (after they closed a rouge account)

Has anyone else ?

Do they presumably just keep the money?
Golfer

I pulled up the end of the cricket and it looked like one stake was consistently ahead of the next quickest but it wasn't FOK so not exploiting the min fill size?
Westerner

megarain wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:48 pm
Am fairly sure this is being used on the T20 World cup to sweep 100k orders at market price.

It could be used on soccer etc, before free kicks etc.

How could this have been allowed?
I have been witnessing this in the cricket markets pretty much since API NG came in, but as I'm not an automation guy I've found it very hard to explain my point to Betfair apart from screen recordings.

The response I've been getting back is the others guys are just quicker but this makes me realise I haven't been going crazy.
megarain

Thinking back, it's v likely I know who this guy is.

He's using a PlayStation-type device at the ground.

Am waiting to hear from Betfair if it's a legitimate trading strategy. If so, I will pop a request for the Min Fill Size to be added as a
parameter to custom cols in the suggestion section.

:roll: :roll:
mcfc1981

Something is definitely going on.

From what I am seeing someone gets to the market on 4s/6s at least a second before others

Seems to be some sort of fill or kill as the order tends take the price in and around the current price then kills, second or so later everyone elses orders hit the market

Market is alot slower to react to dot balls and wickets so the player who is beating the delay is likely concentrating on 4/6s
PDC

Just a thought but couldn't someone with the coding knowledge needed test this out on some market with small stakes to see if it would actually work as expected and then report back, perhaps even recording it and uploading it?

Or is the coding a lot of work and not worth the effort?
Euler

In the early days of Horse racing in-running markets, an SIS engineer was alleged to have made a fortune from the transmitting van and unique camera angles.

There has been direct evidence of hawkeye being used to snipe Tennis, so not impossible somebody is using that telemetry data on Cricket also. As the bat hits the ball, the sniper will already know if its potentially a good shot or not. Would work a fortune in these types of markets.

Ultimately Betfair must know who this people are as their accounts must stick out like a sore thumb.
megarain

Euler wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:08 pm
In the early days of Horse racing in-running markets, an SIS engineer was alleged to have made a fortune from the transmitting van and unique camera angles.

There has been direct evidence of hawkeye being used to snipe Tennis, so not impossible somebody is using that telemetry data on Cricket also. As the bat hits the ball, the sniper will already know if its potentially a good shot or not. Would work a fortune in these types of markets.

Ultimately Betfair must know who this people are as their accounts must stick out like a sore thumb.
Ground snipers, with many years' experience seed the market.

When they see their bets being taken, you know something is off.

I have been corresponding with someone in the API team - but Betfair seems reluctant to ever discuss, virtually anything in public.

I specifically asked the question in the last Q & A, as to whether any account had preferential treatment.

I will ask it again and get them to explain whether this is a legitimate tactic.

Return to “Betfair exchange”