Betfair voiding football bets

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
tc_uk

Last night I was trading the Bologna v Inter game.
There was no VAR going on but betfair suspended that Italian game and the other one that was going on at the same time for a period of time.
Betfair then unsuspended and a short while after Inter scored. I greened up my position and thought nothing of it.
Around 55 mins on the match clock (I had greened up fairly early in the first half) I noticed that my 2 back bets had been voided (for some reason?) to leave me sitting a sizeable loss given my initial trade was a lay bet (in the end I was very lucky as I ended up winning more due to this thanks to Bologna scoring).

So that's the precursor, but my confidence with betfair has been severly knocked by this. I can do a perfectly good trade and then I might find at a later time that some of my bets have been voided potentially wiping out profit and leaving me losing a shed load from no fault of my own.
Is there anything you can do to minimise the risk of these void bets given this had nothing to do with VAR and they had re-opened the market? In terms of football, I don't think I intend to ever offer money to the market now because it just feels too risky. At least, if a void happens and this leaves with me an open back bet I am potentially "only" losing my stake instead of xx times my stake.

However, I feel I'm handicapping myself if I now only intend to start every football trade with a back bet first.

Any advice/thoughts in relation to this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Derek27

tc_uk wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:52 am
Last night I was trading the Bologna v Inter game.
There was no VAR going on but betfair suspended that Italian game and the other one that was going on at the same time for a period of time.
Betfair then unsuspended and a short while after Inter scored. I greened up my position and thought nothing of it.
Around 55 mins on the match clock (I had greened up fairly early in the first half) I noticed that my 2 back bets had been voided (for some reason?) to leave me sitting a sizeable loss given my initial trade was a lay bet (in the end I was very lucky as I ended up winning more due to this thanks to Bologna scoring).

So that's the precursor, but my confidence with betfair has been severly knocked by this. I can do a perfectly good trade and then I might find at a later time that some of my bets have been voided potentially wiping out profit and leaving me losing a shed load from no fault of my own.
Is there anything you can do to minimise the risk of these void bets given this had nothing to do with VAR and they had re-opened the market? In terms of football, I don't think I intend to ever offer money to the market now because it just feels too risky. At least, if a void happens and this leaves with me an open back bet I am potentially "only" losing my stake instead of xx times my stake.

However, I feel I'm handicapping myself if I now only intend to start every football trade with a back bet first.

Any advice/thoughts in relation to this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm not confident you'd get any joy but the first step is to contact Betfair to ask why the bets were voided and if possible some compensation.
Dabbla

I don’t think either of the market went in play till late and goals were scored early.
Not 100% as I wasn’t trading the game but it was on the ladder.

From my log ,It does not appear to have gone in play.
7/04/2022 19:13:55: Market changed to Atalanta v Torino - Match Odds
27/04/2022 19:20:10: Market has been suspended
27/04/2022 19:22:32: Market has been unsuspended
Derek27

1.2 All markets other than horseracing and greyhound racing markets - not suspending at the time of the 'off'
    • In relation to markets which are scheduled to be turned in-play, Betfair aims to use its reasonable endeavours to turn such markets in-play at the time of the 'off'. The time of the 'off' for such markets should be set out in the Market Information. However, regardless of what it says in the Market Information, Betfair does not guarantee that such markets will be suspended and turned in-play at the time of the 'off'.
    • If a market is scheduled to be turned in-play but Betfair does not, at the time of the “off”, either (i) intentionally turn such market in-play or (ii) suspend the market and cancel unmatched bets, all bets matched after the time of the “off” (and before the market is intentionally turned in-play if scheduled to go in-play) will be void. Betfair will use its reasonable endeavours to ascertain the time of the actual “off” (or will othersiwe rely on the scheduled "off time) and all bets after the time of the “off” as determined by Betfair will be void. If the event is still on-going Betfair will use its reasonable endeavours to re-open the market for in-play betting.
Nightmare trying to format that correctly but the key take is to be cautious trading markets that don't go in-play.
tc_uk

Many thanks for your replies.
But, the obvious follow up question is this.
If I've layed a price pre-kick off and then notice it hasn't gone "in-play" what can you do?
Is the only real safe option to "complete" your trade with doing back bets on betdaq or smarkets (both of which seem to have their own issues these days) when you want to close out your trade.
Derek27

tc_uk wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:48 pm
Many thanks for your replies.
But, the obvious follow up question is this.
If I've layed a price pre-kick off and then notice it hasn't gone "in-play" what can you do?
Is the only real safe option to "complete" your trade with doing back bets on betdaq or smarkets (both of which seem to have their own issues these days) when you want to close out your trade.
I think you can only wait for the market to go in-play and try to close your trade.

Return to “Betfair exchange”