Number of places

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
stevequal

I use Timeform to get the SP for the win and place markets for horse racing. I have always assumed that a 16 runner race handicap is 4 places.

But I noticed that yesterdays Ballinrobe market which had 16 runners declared only paid out on three place positions.

https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/r ... 1650/214/6
16 runners: 14 runners, 2 non runners.
Place total comes to 404%

https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/r ... 1835/201/5
16 runners: 15 runners, 1 non runners.
Place total comes to 307.9%

Has anyone noticed this? Is there something I am mis calculating?

Many thanks.

Steve.
Andriy

In the second case, i think Snugsborough Benny was withdrawn Monday afternoon, after final declarations were made, but before the place market was put up by Betfair on Monday evening, hence them realising it was 3 places only.
stevequal

Andriy wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:56 pm
In the second case, i think Snugsborough Benny was withdrawn Monday afternoon, after final declarations were made, but before the place market was put up by Betfair on Monday evening, hence them realising it was 3 places only.
Ah ok, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for your response.

There is another 16 runner card at Curragh today, with a few non runners so it will be interesting to see the place values after the race.
Andriy

I see that the 19.15 was originally a 16 runner handicap, but although the 3 non-runners came out this morning, the first place market shown is 3 P . I'm wondering if this may be occurring as a result of a change that came in early last week, when they got the rid of the 'Place' market and had numbers in for all of them... i'll actually check this result myself, since the Timeform results would originally have shown place odds to 4 places.
ANGELS15

stevequal wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:05 pm
Andriy wrote:

There is another 16 runner card at Curragh today, with a few non runners so it will be interesting to see the place values after the race.
Hi Stevequal

I'm hoping you or any other trader may understand Betfair place markets as it's something I rarely dabble in.

This question relates to Betfair place markets. Is it correct to say that if you back something for a place, say in an 8 runner race and later after you've placed your bet there's a non runner, Betfair reduce the places to 2 but you still get paid out if the horse finishes 3rd?

Another observation but also I'm seeking clarification. In the above example although they reduce the places to 2 they may open another market for 3rd place but this would be a different market to the one where a punter backed a selection for a place before the withdrawal?
stevequal

ANGELS15 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:49 pm
stevequal wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:05 pm
Andriy wrote:

Hi Stevequal

I'm hoping you or any other trader may understand Betfair place markets as it's something I rarely dabble in.

This question relates to Betfair place markets. Is it correct to say that if you back something for a place, say in an 8 runner race and later after you've placed your bet there's a non runner, Betfair reduce the places to 2 but you still get paid out if the horse finishes 3rd?

Another observation but also I'm seeking clarification. In the above example although they reduce the places to 2 they may open another market for 3rd place but this would be a different market to the one where a punter backed a selection for a place before the withdrawal?
I am still trying to figure this out myself. There doesn't seem to be anything concrete on the Betfair website regarding runners and place payouts.

Return to “Betfair exchange”