Betfair Monthly Limit Email Received Today

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Crazyskier

Greeting fellow forumites!

It's not often that I start a brand new thread and I did consider adding this to the existing Betfair account closure thread (feel free to move if you feel necessary, Peter / Dallas, etc). But today I received a rather bizarre and totally unexpected email from Betfair as below:
BF Monthly Budget.jpg
So, the questions beg:

1) Am I alone in receiving this monthly limit, or are others starting to receive these? I'm still a net lifetime loser on BF, so perhaps those PC payers won't be targeted?
2) How did they arrive at the rather arbitrary figure of £1,000? Is this now a hard cap on exposure or total monthly losses?
3) It says in the email (see attached) that they have performed a 'soft credit check'. Now, my credit is fine, but surely GDPR laws mean that they can't perform any kind of checks without my express consent?
4) Should I be concerned at all? I very rarely lose more than £1,000 in any given calendar month, so should I just carry on as usual, or contact Betfair CS to get the limit raised? And what further checks are they likely to need?

If anyone else has received one of the ''Fair Deal for All'' emails, what was your reaction and has it had any negative impact?

Thanks in advance and regards to all,

CS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

My children got one, but that was because they were under 25.

I imagine that they have started targeting certain types of accounts, ahead of the Gambling white paper?
Crazyskier

Euler wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:27 pm

I imagine that they have started targeting certain types of accounts, ahead of the Gambling white paper?
Hi Peter, thanks for the swift response.

Hehe, well I'm certainly not under 25, or even double that, sadly, so that's not the reason I've been targeted. I wonder if a rather heavy loss on a dogs dutch last week has triggered this? It certainly seems to be driven by some sort of loss algorithm.The figure of £1000 is a concern though as it strikes me as rather low given that my balance is always north of this and I bot the horses and dogs all day... I'll update the thread if I see any negative impact on my exposure. Cheers.

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:21 pm

It's not often that I start a brand new thread and I did consider adding this to the existing Betfair account closure thread (feel free to move if you feel necessary, Peter / Dallas, etc). But today I received a rather bizarre and totally unexpected email from Betfair as below:

BF Monthly Budget.jpg

So, the questions beg:

1) Am I alone in receiving this monthly limit, or are others starting to receive these? I'm still a net lifetime loser on BF, so perhaps those PC payers won't be targeted?
2) How did they arrive at the rather arbitrary figure of £1,000? Is this now a hard cap on exposure or total monthly losses?
3) It says in the email (see attached) that they have performed a 'soft credit check'. Now, my credit is fine, but surely GDPR laws mean that they can't perform any kind of checks without my express consent?
4) Should I be concerned at all? I very rarely lose more than £1,000 in any given calendar month, so should I just carry on as usual, or contact Betfair CS to get the limit raised? And what further checks are they likely to need?

If anyone else has received one of the ''Fair Deal for All'' emails, what was your reaction and has it had any negative impact?

CS
If you don't mind me asking, have they given you a limit that you've exceeded in recent months or is it comfortably more than you've deposited?
psychoff

Euler wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:27 pm

My son's account is limited to a deposit of £100/month as he is a uni student and doesn't have any income atm. (under 25 as well).
verance

It looks like a deposit limit? So you should be able to risk/lose more than that, provided you have the account balance
Dallas

Crazyskier wrote:

BF Monthly Budget.jpg

So, the questions beg:

CS
The way I'm reading that is your budget is the total amount of bets you can place each month?

I hope I'm wrong on that, its just the way they've users the term 'spend' and not 'lose' or 'exposure'
verance

Dallas wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:56 pm
The way I'm reading that is your budget is the total amount of bets you can place each month?

I hope I'm wrong on that, its just the way they've users the term 'spend' and not 'lose' or 'exposure'
It says "based on net deposits", which looks like good news to me. But not exactly clear!
Euler

It's effectively a loss limit. If you are under 25 it's set at £500. So if you deposit that much, you can deposit no more.
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:

"lose" is a loaded term but in this context, "spend" is the difference between what you start with and where you end.

And logic says it must be even without delving into semantics, a grand in stakes would last many of us about 30 minutes and they know that. Plus it's all caviated with the offer of discussing it, and they've already said they'll be flexible. It's all just smoke and mirrors to give the impression to the authorities they're being proactive.
Hepburn

https://support.betfair.com/app/answers ... available.

Looks a bit confusing, but hopefully a loss limit.
Naffman

I swear mines £100 a month and I’m a PC payer, makes no sense but just had to build the bank so no (hopefully) deposits will be needed.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:28 pm
Dallas wrote:

"lose" is a loaded term but in this context, "spend" is the difference between what you start with and where you end.

And logic says it must be even without delving into semantics, a grand in stakes would last many of us about 30 minutes and they know that. Plus it's all caviated with the offer of discussing it, and they've already said they'll be flexible. It's all just smoke and mirrors to give the impression to the authorities they're being proactive.
I'll rephrase that. If you account slips negative you won't be able to deposit more than £500 a month to continue betting / trading. So it's all about variability really, which is why it's poorly thought out from a trading or betting perspective.

But the press / regulators / politicians are too dumb to work out the difference between spunking £500 on online slots and a highly variable but profitable sports betting strategy.
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:

BF Monthly Budget.jpg

So, the questions beg:

CS

Even Betfair won't be that daft, I hope at least!

Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

We apply Budgets automatically for any customer that seems like they could use a hand managing their spend. It’s a fair deal for everyone. Don’t worry though, if this applies to you, we’ll be in touch.

How patronising! I was losing around £1K a month on Betfair when I was arbing and in any case, allowing someone who may be on a low income to blow £1,000 a month is hardly leading a hand!

Return to “Betfair exchange”