Where are all noobs now?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
notangel

Who traded betfair 5-10 years ago and gave a lot of money to make markets liquid.Traded not very skillfully
Now BF is almost "dead", only bots and profies are trading
notangel

And I think Peter Jackson is a piece of shit. He does nothing to attract new players to BF , no ads, seo...nothing. Thx to his activities, BF gone away from most countries .as a result, liquidity has fallen
Moreover , I assume that he is generally an agent of bookmakers, and bf is now a platform for bookmakers to regulate profits and losses
ANGELS15

notangel wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:23 am
And I think Peter Jackson is a piece of shit. He does nothing to attract new players to BF , no ads, seo...nothing. Thx to his activities, BF gone away from most countries .as a result, liquidity has fallen
Moreover , I assume that he is generally an agent of bookmakers, and bf is now a platform for bookmakers to regulate profits and losses
Yes sadly this has been the case for a while.

I do a lot of in-running and back to lay. I often back horses which I think are value at big prices on the exchange with the intent to lay them off later. In the past something may have been 50/1 but I thought it should be 16/1, on the exchange it could have been 300 or even 800. Nowadays that 50/1 may only be 70 or 80 on the exchange. As more and more punters are having their accounts closed due to Betfair being over zealous on checks and fewer punters joining, we're more likely to see the prices closer to bookmaker prices as it will be more of their money shaping the markets.
jimibt

ANGELS15 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:36 am
notangel wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:23 am
Yes sadly this has been the case for a while.

I do a lot of in-running and back to lay. I often back horses which I think are value at big prices on the exchange with the intent to lay them off later. In the past something may have been 50/1 but I thought it should be 16/1, on the exchange it could have been 300 or even 800. Nowadays that 50/1 may only be 70 or 80 on the exchange. As more and more punters are having their accounts closed due to Betfair being over zealous on checks and fewer punters joining, we're more likely to see the prices closer to bookmaker prices as it will be more of their money shaping the markets.
i think in fairness this is one of the big obstacles to using historical BF data.. the metrics simply are not consistent year on year due to market contraction and participants... that said, that does of course create new and shorter term opportunities - if the short term nuances can be observed and applied appropriately
ShaunWhite

It's not Betfair's fault the markets are more efficient.. 10yrs ago there weren't as many people using data and technology to create pricing models and algorithms. It's just a more mature market now and that always reduces opportunites for easy pickings. Volumes aren't falling as much as you might expect given the difficult economic circumstances for the last 3 yrs and have been slightly improving this year. They aren't active in a number of regions now due to local politics not Betfair's lack of desire to be there.
As for growth they are very active white labeling the product in Asia and some of that liquidity is being fed back into the main exchange, that's far more effective and far sighted than running a few TV ads to attract a handful of UK amateur punters. Account restrictions aren't their doing either, that's industry-wide and they will engage with customers to have them reinstated when many other don't.
Crumpets

If prices are becoming more accurate, does this suggest we may be moving towards lower volatility? And maybe towards conditions more suited to scalping, or small swings?
Derek27

Crumpets wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:40 pm
If prices are becoming more accurate, does this suggest we may be moving towards lower volatility? And maybe towards conditions more suited to scalping, or small swings?
They're not becoming more accurate. They've always been fairly efficient due to the tight overround, especially with sports like football where a lot is known of the teams (compared to horse racing, a niche sport) and sophisticated tools are used by many to model markets.

Return to “Betfair exchange”