Is betfair dead?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Derek27

numberzero wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:29 pm
They stubbornly do not want the markets to look lifeless, and on the one hand they are trying to prolong their agony by creating the illusion of trading, and on the other hand, they will not let such people like me make money on free market
If somebody beats me in a game of chess, did he stop me from winning or was I unable to beat him?

Same thing, just different ways of seeing it. :)
Anbell

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:13 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:01 pm

If your back turnover on NSW racing exceeds a certain limit, Betfair charges you a percentage (turnover charge) that wipes away your profit. This limit was reduced to 1000 AUS dollars which made trading it not worthwhile.
I know that bit. I was interested in what the giveaway was :D
It used to only apply to thoroughbreds so you could do the pace and trots, but it's all of them now so laying small amounts and not hedging is the only thing worth considering. I don't do any nsw now apart from the dogs myself.
You only get charged TC if you arent paying much commission
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:45 am

That's not the case for UK customers unfortunately, haven't you got some sort of ViP customer deals over there? The only perk we get is MBR discounts on Antipodean markets.
Anbell

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:49 am
Anbell wrote:

That's not the case for UK customers unfortunately, haven't you got some sort of ViP customer deals over there? The only perk we get is MBR discounts on Antipodean markets.
It's not VIP, it's in the main conditions
https://www.betfair.com.au/hub/help/turnover-charge
"c) Total Commission generated on turnover charge markets is less than 1.25% of aggregate matched back bets"
Derek27

Anbell wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:47 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Anbell wrote:

"c) Total Commission generated on turnover charge markets is less than 1.25% of aggregate matched back bets"
If you're trading rather than betting, your commission will always be low compared to turnover. $1000 back at 4.5 and laid at 4.0 will net $125, $12.50 commission, which is 1.25% commission on turnover. Fail to get those ticks on every trade without a loser and you're buggered!
jamesedwards

Anbell wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:47 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Anbell wrote:

Yeah, but this means you can't trade in the traditional way that many on here would do. You can now 'bet' on horses without being penalised (as long as you're not hitting too many odds-on shots). But if you like to trade in and out or dutch you are likely to fall foul of the charges pretty quickly.

• £1000 back on 2.5 winner with 5% commission then £1000 on 3.0 loser on different races = £2000 aggregate back bets and £52.50 commission = 2.625%
  • £1000 back on 2.5 winner with 5% commission then £1000 on 3.0 loser in the same race = £2000 aggregate back bets and £12.50 commission = 0.625%
numberzero

goat68 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:56 pm

I think you need to move on from 10yrs ago, work and think harder..
January was my best so far earned average £105 a day :-)
if it's not a secret, what is your trading amount ?

I think you trade big markets with a large amount, with a certain risk, but value at a distance. I'm right?
I think so Because another is not viable now .An exception is possible only if you use arbitrage using bookies but arbitrage has many risks. Or if you personally have a powerful api that buys everything "delicious" on the market.
numberzero

Trader724 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:40 pm
Cardano wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:30 pm
Trader724 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:59 pm

By analysing the frequency of bets for example.
Rubbish :lol:
If you placed 100 bets in a single second or place bets constantly 24/7 you obviously don't do it manually.
I think that allowing people like you(who places 100 bets per second) BF makes a mistake.
I explain... At first it may seem that bots will fill the market with money .And its true.BUT in the future, the development of technology will only lead to the fact that the fat men will only become richer, and the minus bots will interrupt the game and in the end there will be only superbots.BF has always wanted traders' money to move from account to account on the exchange, but not be withdrawn in one direction by several players.But in a bot situation, only a handful of players get rich and withdraw money irrevocably. I don’t mean those bots that help in handly trading as marketfeeder etc, but the api that is tied on the one hand to the exchange and on the other to the source of odds and stupidly copies bets like in a bookmaker , without human intervention. Thousands bets per minute

The automation and the absence of spreads made the exchange essentially a bookmaker with odds identical to Pinnacle .FOR an ordinary player, it makes no sense to play here more, cause the bookie has the same line.Exchange,...this is when there are spreads, there are odds according to the opinion, and not when the betting line is the same as in Pinnacle.What is the interest of others when you bet 100 bets per second, while not even seeing these odds? You copy the odds of bookmakers with a minimum margin for yourself and have a profit from thousands of automatical bets. This is even a violation of fair competition .

Previously, the exchange itself was more designed for a simple amateur, for example, they gave the name of the leagues before each match. Now all the matches are just going together , regardless of the English Premier League or the 3rd division of the Thai championship
Therefore, if the bf wants to remain a real exchange, then it will be necessary to cancel the automation or somehow change it so that the same bots do not benefit. But perhaps the management has other goals
napshnap

numberzero wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:23 am
Trader724 wrote:
Cardano wrote:

If you placed 100 bets in a single second or place bets constantly 24/7 you obviously don't do it manually.
Hmm they can make "bf kids" for lazy simple amateurs with fairies, unicorns and Cookie Monster as a customers service manager. You'll have to say "shazam and abracadabra!!" to hedge your bets.
Anbell

numberzero wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:23 am
Trader724 wrote:
Cardano wrote:

I think that allowing people like you(who places 100 bets per second) BF makes a mistake.
I explain... At first it may seem that bots will fill the market with money .And its true.BUT in the future, the development of technology will only lead to the fact that the fat men will only become richer, and the minus bots will interrupt the game and in the end there will be only superbots.BF has always wanted traders' money to move from account to account on the exchange, but not be withdrawn in one direction by several players.But in a bot situation, only a handful of players get rich and withdraw money irrevocably. I don’t mean those bots that help in handly trading as marketfeeder etc, but the api that is tied on the one hand to the exchange and on the other to the source of odds and stupidly copies bets like in a bookmaker , without human intervention. Thousands bets per minute

The automation and the absence of spreads made the exchange essentially a bookmaker with odds identical to Pinnacle .FOR an ordinary player, it makes no sense to play here more, cause the bookie has the same line.Exchange,...this is when there are spreads, there are odds according to the opinion, and not when the betting line is the same as in Pinnacle.What is the interest of others when you bet 100 bets per second, while not even seeing these odds? You copy the odds of bookmakers with a minimum margin for yourself and have a profit from thousands of automatical bets. This is even a violation of fair competition .

Previously, the exchange itself was more designed for a simple amateur, for example, they gave the name of the leagues before each match. Now all the matches are just going together , regardless of the English Premier League or the 3rd division of the Thai championship
Therefore, if the bf wants to remain a real exchange, then it will be necessary to cancel the automation or somehow change it so that the same bots do not benefit. But perhaps the management has other goals
This is all so obviously true. Wall Street made all these same mistakes and now we only read about it in history books.
ShaunWhite

Bots aren't new, all the things being spoken about here have been happening for at least 10yrs.
Derek27

Betfair is not dead but their customer service staff are all in a coma.
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:15 am
This is all so obviously true. Wall Street made all these same mistakes and now we only read about it in history books.
?
The financial markets have had automated quants since the early 90s. When they arrived everyone panicked and said the end was neigh but since then discretionary traders have continued to exist alongside them. Nobody now is saying you can't make money from stocks because of the bots. As long as markets move, and they all do, then you can make money from them.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumours of the death of the exchange have been greatly exaggerated.
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:08 pm
Bots aren't new, all the things being spoken about here have been happening for at least 10yrs.
and in another 10 years someone will be asking the same question
Cardano

deleted
Last edited by Cardano on Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Betfair exchange”