Is betfair dead?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:50 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:43 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:42 pm

Good one. :D
Tasteless in hindsight.
True, some people have done it, but an accurate analogy nonetheless.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/epsom-colleg ... r-suicide/
ShaunWhite

Cardano wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:24 pm
That particular mental health tragedy has been on the news enough I think. I regretted my reference and I don't think anyone needed it explaining unless they've been living under a rock.
Kai

Euler wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:37 pm
Archangel wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:52 pm
In the trading world (and perhaps the world in general), there seems to be two kinds of people. Those who find problems, and those who find solutions...
100% agree.

Our role as traders is to look for opportunities, to understand them and to take advantage of them to the best of our abilities.
To get back on topic this is absolutely what it's all about, looking for opportunities and being optimistic enough that you can take advantage of them

Because the alternative is problem-solving with a negative mindset and best of luck to anyone with that approach
Derek27

I once laid the field in the Ayr Gold Cup antepost for a green book of just over £100. When the market closed and the horses that didn't make the cut were taken out, I was unaware that those lays were voided and I sat for an hour watching my profits whittle away. Luckily it didn't go into negative but that was the time I learned the lesson that all traders do at some point; understand the rules of a market before trading.

We all make cock-ups from time to time but true traders will learn from them, avoid them and revise their approach to markets. But there have been numerous posters who refuse to budge from their position and blame the markets, bots, Betfair, people with faster pics, underhand practices and ultimately Bill Gates. Misunderstanding the overround, reduction factors, rules on non-runners, the Douvan Champion Chase, the MSE first goalscorer fiasco, and most of all, the 2020 US election spring to mind. :)
numberzero

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:49 pm

Apologies for your thread being sidetracked No. 0.

I would have thought the reason for zero turnover markets on Betfair is the sheer number of markets they offer. Even if you look at a big football match they have markets that nobody is interested in and probably many markets that bookies don't offer. From my betting days, I remember if I wanted to back a horse in an obscure race the night before, they would sometimes accept bets with a maximum liability of £300, i.e. you could have £100 on a 2/1 but only £15 on a 20/1. That would suggest that they're not really expecting much to be gambled on the race until early afternoon.
There were significantly more football matches on the exchange 5 years ago.
If you have been trading for a long time, you should know this.

Now they don’t give even a quarter of those matches that are in the bookie like bet365 or marathonbet. I don’t even talk about the number of markets, there are very few of them , for example, they even removed the market of the next goal.

If the league is not top, then they selectively give 1-2 matches from the tour, and before ,5-7 years ago,there were almost all matches. I think they reduced the number of matches because the liquidity has become terrible.
numberzero

Cardano wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:37 pm

Reading NO. 0's comment it seems to me that he thinks BF has a Bot. Be interesting to ask him that question YES/NO/NOT SURE :)
Yes, I m sure that BF fills the markets with their money, especially in prematch at non-top matches or additional markets. Almost all the money is the exchange money there. They do this so that the markets look presentable .If the exchange does not do this, then the odds will be, for example, 1.2-1.3-1.2 (win draw) and freeloaders will receive high-value bets, because someone will make mistakes and take lower odds.I've done it myself a few years ago

In live adds the money of bookmakers bots and traders
Derek27

numberzero wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:08 pm
Cardano wrote:

Reading NO. 0's comment it seems to me that he thinks BF has a Bot. Be interesting to ask him that question YES/NO/NOT SURE :)
Yes, I m sure that BF fills the markets with their money, especially in prematch at non-top matches or additional markets. Almost all the money is the exchange money there. They do this so that the markets look presentable .If the exchange does not do this, then the odds will be, for example, 1.2-1.3-1.2 (win draw) and freeloaders will receive high-value bets, because someone will make mistakes and take lower odds.I've done it myself a few years ago

If somebody's offering £1K best price, how can you tell whether it's Betfair's or a trader's money and what difference does it make?
Cardano

numberzero wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:08 pm
Cardano wrote:

👍
Michael5482

I often see comments like it's traders' money, the markets are mainly bots etc Just for my own interest how do people know who's participating in any Betfair market at any given time unless there sat next to every market participant (which is impossible) or do Betfair offer statistics on market participation manual/bots etc?

It does seem a bit of a non-debate, if your executing your trading plan/edge why even care who or what is on the other side of the book on your trades?
Euler

If you want to make money trading you need to look for opportunities, not problems. It's really that simple.

Even when the markets were much easier I still had people point out to me why it wouldn't work and how some approach or another was flawed. I eventually just gave up and realised there isn't much you can do other than just get on with it. Peoplel either see it or they don't.
Derek27

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:50 pm
I often see comments like it's traders' money, the markets are mainly bots etc Just for my own interest how do people know who's participating in any Betfair market at any given time unless there sat next to every market participant (which is impossible) or do Betfair offer statistics on market participation manual/bots etc?

It does seem a bit of a non-debate, if your executing your trading plan/edge why even care who or what is on the other side of the book on your trades?
I've asked both, Cardano and numberzero how they know but neither of them will answer for whatever reason. ;)
goat68

Spent a couple of weekends working on a new opportunity, looking good so far. Looking like profitable strategy nos 9 :-)
Derek27

goat68 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:34 pm
Spent a couple of weekends working on a new opportunity, looking good so far. Looking like profitable strategy nos 9 :-)
It's funny how the unbeatable Betfair bot only works against certain people. :)
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:21 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:50 pm

I've asked both, Cardano and numberzero how they know but neither of them will answer for whatever reason. ;)
I'm convinced your middle name must be Percy :P
Last edited by Cardano on Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:34 pm
Strategy number 9 or a similar approach on 9 market types ?

Return to “Betfair exchange”