Is betfair dead?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 pm
:lol: I've been betting on horse racing since the age of 8
Wtf, and how much did you stake at that age? Half a snickers bar? :lol:
Cardano

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:
:lol:
Dallas

jimibt wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:34 pm
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:26 pm

playing devil's advocate here. in the above case, how then would BF have been able to get in on the action if the jockey was unaware (in your words) of the event.

I refer back to my post earlier where i discuss mechanical machinations on opposing prices - not always obvious unless you are actively aware of what to look for. none of these things truly spike out of no-where... there is always a trajectory!
Exactly - BF just hoovered-up by virtue of nobody else getting on because it was too late - it effectively fell into a black-hole. Who on earth would lay a horse that was coasing but ran- out just before it jumped the second last hurdle.
Have a look at the replay
Derek hasn't he obviously doesn't read my replies
i'm not a betting man, but i'd say that a replay with the BA screen in focus also, would demonstrate my point perfectly.
If you watch the next 60secs of this video (I've set it to start at the relevant point) it shows just how many seconds advantage TPD can give people over those relying on BF live pics or even triggering automated bets using prices/volume etc
https://youtu.be/cLzjkeKTIf0?t=280
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:
They were Marathon bars at the time. Two pence was my first bet. :)
Cardano

Dallas wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 pm
jimibt wrote:
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm

Exactly - BF just hoovered-up by virtue of nobody else getting on because it was too late - it effectively fell into a black-hole. Who on earth would lay a horse that was coasing but ran- out just before it jumped the second last hurdle.
Have a look at the replay
Derek hasn't he obviously doesn't read my replies
i'm not a betting man, but i'd say that a replay with the BA screen in focus also, would demonstrate my point perfectly.
If you watch the next 60secs of this video (I've set it to start at the relevant point) it shows just how many seconds advantage TPD can give people over those relying on BF live pics or even triggering automated bets using prices/volume etc
Just watched it - need to give it a try
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:23 pm
Dallas wrote:
jimibt wrote:

I wouldn't have thought you'd need it as you know when a horse is coasting without even watching the race. :)
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:32 pm
Cardano wrote:
Dallas wrote:

I wouldn't have thought you'd need it as you know when a horse is coasting without even watching the race. :)
"or even triggering automated bets" - you need to keep up Derek - it's getting late - it's been along day :)
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Cardano wrote:
Dallas wrote:

And if the correct transponder has been assigned to the correct animal, amongst other anomalies !!! In my opinion the product has not transformed, but remained stagnant. We experienced all of these problems three years ago :roll:
Cardano

The Silk Run wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Cardano wrote:

And if the correct transponder has been assigned to the correct animal, amongst other anomalies !!! In my opinion the product has not transformed, but remained stagnant. We experienced all of these problems three years ago :roll:
That's right - it's not perfect like you say'
Swings and roundabouts
Will probably trial it at some future date though
Last edited by Cardano on Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Cardano wrote:

"or even triggering automated bets" - you need to keep up Derek - it's getting late - it's been along day :)
Not for me, my day starts early afternoon. :)

It would help if you quoted complete sentences. I haven't a clue what "or even triggering automated bets" has got to do with knowing the horse was coasting.
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 pm
Please have a look at the replay and tell me whether you would have 'backed' it as it approached the second last hurdle or 'layed' it
Stupid question unless you say what the price was at the time. It's pointless looking at the replay because I won't know at precisely what point you placed the bet. But if it looked a very likely winner it would have been a very short price and I would be much more likely to lay it. Never in a million years would I back a horse in-running at a short price. It's a big risk for little profit, as you found out.
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:21 pm
I wasn't watching any pics, making use of TPD or flying any drones - I placed a few bets using automation when it was 'coasting' and looked the likely winner 5 secs before it 'ran out'
How the fuck do you know it was coasting when your automation fired the bets? If you can't answer such a simple question there's not much point in asking for advice, but I would guess the horse had already run out when the bets were fired.
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:08 am
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Not for me, my day starts early afternoon. :)

It would help if you quoted complete sentences. I haven't a clue what "or even triggering automated bets" has got to do with knowing the horse was coasting.

It would also help if you quoted what I said and not made it up as I didn't say ' I know when a horse is coasting without watching the race:
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 pm
Please have a look at the replay and tell me whether you would have 'backed' it as it approached the second last hurdle or 'layed' it
Stupid question unless you say what the price was at the time. It's pointless looking at the replay because I won't know at precisely what point you placed the bet. But if it looked a very likely winner it would have been a very short price and I would be much more likely to lay it. Never in a million years would I back a horse in-running at a short price. It's a big risk for little profit, as you found out.
Cardano wrote:
I wasn't watching any pics, making use of TPD or flying any drones - I placed a few bets using automation when it was 'coasting' and looked the likely winner 5 secs before it 'ran out'
How the fuck do you know it was coasting when your automation fired the bets? If you can't answer such a simple question there's not much point in asking for advice, but I would guess the horse had already run out when the bets were fired.
Derek27

It must be getting late for you Cardano, you're now replying within the quote of my text. If you're going to do that you need to close the quote so it's readable.
Cardano wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:14 am
It would also help if you quoted what I said and not made it up as I didn't say ' I know when a horse is coasting without watching the race:
I didn't say you did, FFS. You're having difficulty reading.
Cardano wrote:
I wasn't watching any pics, making use of TPD or flying any drones - I placed a few bets using automation when it was 'coasting' and looked the likely winner 5 secs before it 'ran out
The simple question I'm asking, and it really is simple; if you weren't watching the race live with your automation in front of you, how do you know the bet hit the market 5 seconds before the horse ran out?

Have you compared the time the bet was logged with a clock on the video? If you can't reply to such a simple question I don't know why you bother asking for an explanation!
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:04 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:32 pm
Well that looks like a NOT SURE answer from Derek
A question for you now, what odds would you put on it being Betfair?

Nobody will deny it's technically possible but it's so wreckless it's difficult to imagine. Like a faked moon landing, if it was true then the news would get out and 20% of everything would turn onto 100% of nothing.

Lots of people ask what you did so that's no problem. But it's exactly the same for everyone here and some people make money, some don't, so I don't think you can blame the pitch.
I don't think it's wreck less.
Let me make an analogy. You ( BF ) are walking along and see £100 lying on the floor. Knowing that whoever the £100 belongs to is not coming back for it do you ( BF ) pick it up and pocket it (finders/keepers) or do you leave it for some other person ( bot ) to come along and pocket it
That's not a valid analogy because you won't get your cut of the money if you leave it. Here's a better analogy: What would you rather do, rob £100K from a bank and risk going to prison or pick up the £20K that the robbers dropped, risk-free?

That's what Betfair do. Instead of robbing their customers and risking getting shut down or fined by the gambling commission, they let customers win fair and square and then (legally) rob their winning customers in the form of PC. The trader that pinched your £100 will have £20, or maybe £40 taken off them by Betfair. :)
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:36 am
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:04 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm

A question for you now, what odds would you put on it being Betfair?

Nobody will deny it's technically possible but it's so wreckless it's difficult to imagine. Like a faked moon landing, if it was true then the news would get out and 20% of everything would turn onto 100% of nothing.

Lots of people ask what you did so that's no problem. But it's exactly the same for everyone here and some people make money, some don't, so I don't think you can blame the pitch.
I don't think it's wreck less.
Let me make an analogy. You ( BF ) are walking along and see £100 lying on the floor. Knowing that whoever the £100 belongs to is not coming back for it do you ( BF ) pick it up and pocket it (finders/keepers) or do you leave it for some other person ( bot ) to come along and pocket it
That's not a valid analogy because you won't get your cut of the money if you leave it. Here's a better analogy: What would you rather do, rob £100K from a bank and risk going to prison or pick up the £20K that the robbers dropped, risk-free?

That's what Betfair do. Instead of robbing their customers and risking getting shut down or fined by the gambling commission, they let customers win fair and square and then (legally) rob their winning customers in the form of PC. The trader that pinched your £100 will have £20, or maybe £40 taken off them by Betfair. :)
Re your comments underlined below

"But if it looked a very likely winner it would have been a very short price and I would be much more likely to lay it. Never in a million years would I back a horse in-running at a short price. It's a big risk for little profit, as you found out."

I wouldn't dream of losing money the way you do either.
But you stick to what you do best and I'll stick to what I do best :)

"Have you compared the time the bet was logged with a clock on the video? If you can't reply to such a simple question I don't know why you bother asking for an explanation!"

Yes I've compared the times

"The trader that pinched your £100 "

And your analogy is not valid either. You can't prove there was a trader that pinched my £100 in your words. The trader would have had to ''lay' £100 after I 'backed' £100 and before it 'ran out'
The question is - was BF that trader.
Oh! I forgot you are NOT SURE :)
ShaunWhite

Cardano wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:16 am
Yes I've compared the times
No you haven't. If you want to see the bet matching time to the millisecond you need to save the order book from the api.

The only hard facts are that you were betting with delayed pictures, and then a 1s delay on top of that. If you bet 3 or 4 seconds after the live action has happened then sometimes it will be a bad bet. That's all that's happened here.

You are 100% correct that Betfair could 'steal' your money, the only thing missing from your argument is any evidence they did, or that it couldn't be anyone else, or that anything unusual has happened.

Return to “Betfair exchange”