Changing Username

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
andyb2929

Hi All,

Anyone ever managed to change their Betfair Username?

I can see my Username is clearly compromised and is getting failed attempted logins everyday from different countries.

I'm not too concerned with security as I turned on 2 factor authentication. I'm more annoyed as everytime it's attempted betfair requires me to reset my password.

I've asked Betfair and they have said they cannot change my Username. This seems absurd, there must be a way to do something?

Otherwise I'm just actively let people attempt to login to my account everyday.

Cheers,

Andy
Michael5482

andyb2929 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:15 pm
Hi All,

I can see my Username is clearly compromised and is getting failed attempted logins everyday from different countries.

I'm not too concerned with security as I turned on 2 factor authentication. I'm more annoyed as everytime it's attempted betfair requires me to reset my password.

I've asked Betfair and they have said they cannot change my Username. This seems absurd, there must be a way to do something?

Cheers,

Andy
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago (I posted on here regarding account security) but it was my e-mail address that was compromised so I changed both my Betfair e-mail address and account username.

Betfair locked my account as soon as I did but was sorted in 5 mins via the online live chat and was able to log in to my account with my new username or e-mail. It can be changed.
Derek27

andyb2929 wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers,

Andy
I had that problem 2 or 3 years ago. It took me a whole week to persuade Betfair to give me a new account. I had to explain 20 times to 20 idiots that changing my password won't help because you only need a username to lock somebody out. If you have a usernameless account and use your email address to log in I think you can simply change your login email address.
Michael5482

Michael5482 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:50 pm
andyb2929 wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers,

Andy
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago (I posted on here regarding account security) but it was my e-mail address that was compromised so I changed both my Betfair e-mail address and account username.

Betfair locked my account as soon as I did but was sorted in 5 mins via the online live chat and was able to log in to my account with my new username or e-mail. It can be changed.
PS I had to get the Bet Angel team to move my license over also
motorhead

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:57 pm
andyb2929 wrote:
Hi All,

Cheers,

Andy
I had that problem 2 or 3 years ago. It took me a whole week to persuade Betfair to give me a new account. I had to explain 20 times to 20 idiots that changing my password won't help because you only need a username to lock somebody out. If you have a usernameless account and use your email address to log in I think you can simply change your login email address.
:lol: :lol: this was an incredible security vulnerability back in the days, I'm talking over 10 years ago. And even more shockingly still in place not so long ago by your account.
Basically by just knowing someone's username you could empty their account.
Derek27

motorhead wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:50 am
:lol: :lol: this was an incredible security vulnerability back in the days, I'm talking over 10 years ago. And even more shockingly still in place not so long ago by your account.
Basically by just knowing someone's username you could empty their account.
It's a pain in the arse, but not so much a security vulnerability. Somebody getting hold of your username can lock you out but won't be able to log in without your (strong) password.

When I first went online at the close of the last century, I just used my first initial and surname as my username and thought nothing of it. I even entered "Favourite page 3 girl" as a security question and answer.

Ten years later when a member of Blue Square had to ask me who my favourite page 3 girl was, her picture was still pinned to my wall. :lol:

Return to “Betfair exchange”