Account suspended for premium charge avoidance

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
freddy

This happend to a friend of mine about a year ago,
They suspended his account for about 2-3 weeks while they carried out an investigation into it :? ,

They did reopend his account again after,

He got the impression they were just making a point rather than actually wanting to ban him.

He was defo trying to avoid the P.C then,
but no longer attempts too,
so i guess the little scare they gave him worked :lol: .
PeterLe

Removed
Mike
Might be a good idea to remove this post a I wouldn't put it past betfair to read this forum esp as it has your full name as your user name!)

Think you can pull your post?
Regards
Peter
Last edited by PeterLe on Mon May 09, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael.reid1

PeterLe wrote: Mike
Might be a good idea to remove this post a I wouldn't put it past betfair to read this forum esp as it has your full name as your user name!)

Think you can pull your post?
Regards
Peter
Good point, removed.

I've been about a few countries and had accounts in a few currencies so when the time came that my first one got done it seemed so easy just to use one of the other ones. Anyway if they don't nick my balance I'll take the hint.
michael.reid1

oh and another problem is they have closed about 5 accounts altogether and some of them have a couple of open antepost bets in them (one of which is now 1/12 from 7/2, the other is Barcelona in the CL). Not sure if there is going to be a clean solution.
Iron

Michael

Have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3894

At least if Betfair give you their usual T&C's guff, you've got some law to quote back at them.

If you threaten to take them to the Small Claims Court, I suspect they'll settle out of court, to avoid the negative publicity and the risk of setting a precedent...

Jeff
michael.reid1 wrote:Not sure if there is going to be a clean solution.
freddy

Ferru123 wrote:

If you threaten to take them to the Small Claims Court, I suspect they'll settle out of court, to avoid the negative publicity and the risk of setting a precedent...

[/quote]

What are we suing them for now Jeff :D ,
Closing customers accounts
Or charging the P.C

don't think you would have alot of luck with either to be honest.
toptrader

I think suspending your money in the account and not giving you access to it without very good reasoning, would be a very suable thing to do

Had to threaten this a while ago and eventually got my money back. I did nothing wrong but because i'd once logged in on the same IP i think as another account they were investigating they no doubt thought i was somehow in collusion with this other account over avoiding PC / data charges

Took several emails and calls each more forceful than the last to resolve it.
Iron

I'm not suing them for anything! :lol:

It sounds like Betfair have, shall we say, appropriated Michael's funds.

IMHO, asking them nicely for his money back won't result in them saying 'Oh, go on then, since you've asked so nicely, here you go, but don't try to avoid the PC in future!'. :)

So I think legal action (or the threat thereof) may be required...

Jeff
freddy wrote:
What are we suing them for now Jeff :D ,
Closing customers accounts
Or charging the P.C

don't think you would have alot of luck with either to be honest.
LeTiss

Clearly, the only way forward is for BF to ban people from having more than one account
freddy

They can not legally hold on to the money in your account no.
If you ask for it back they have to give it back, but there not trying to steal funds, they are just making a point.

and you either take the point or they close your account or add P.C charge to your account, that you would have to pay if you wanted to continue to use it.

As always they have got you by the balls :evil:
Last edited by freddy on Tue May 10, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Iron

Are you sure? I bet the buggers have some clause in the T&Cs that says that, if they suspect you of behaving dishonestly, they can hang onto the funds in your account!

Jeff

[quote="freddy"]They can not legally hold on to the money in your account no. /quote]
freddy

They Probably can do in some circumstances ,
but i doubt they can for Premium charge avoidance as it's voluntary payment anyway, so it's not like they can make you pay it.

Worst case senario they close your account and refund the balance.
WallaseyWayne

Can tell you (from experience) they can and WILL take what they think is owed from your account, no matter what you threaten them with! They will keep the account open so long as it doesn't happen again if you get caught twice all accounts will be closed and any future accounts will be closed, they are a law onto themselves and if they feel they have proof the T&C have been breached they will defend court action!
Iron

Hi Wayne

If anyone has a run-in with Betfair over the PC and gets nowhere with their own legal action, I suggest they take the matter up with the OFT, on the grounds that Betfair are abusing their market dominance:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3894

Jeff
WallaseyWayne wrote:They are a law onto themselves and if they feel they have proof the T&C have been breached they will defend court action!
lesblakeman

:o
Last edited by lesblakeman on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Betfair exchange”