WARNING - Betfair account hacked / fraud

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
spreadbetting

superfrank wrote:would one solution be that betfair optionally allows us to define a list of IP addresses in our account profile that logins are restricted to?
Been suggested to them plenty of times but never taken up, they even removed the option where you could restrict logins by country location :(

I think they prefer the head in the sand approach to security as their t&c's seem to exempt them from any liability to pay out anyway. Plus they probably worry any additional security measures is likely to have the impression the site is more vunerable than the other bookie sites to the masses, and associated problems of people forgetting other security details etc. If you look at skybet but they only have a four number PIN ffs !!!!!!
Euler

Surely the hacker could go in and change them though?
superfrank

good point!

maybe the list can only be updated over the phone after appropriate identity checks?

it's bl00dy typical that this problem is Betfair's. i've probably got 30+ betting/trading accounts with other companies and never heard of a problem elsewhere. i think they are jinxed!
andyfuller

I like that idea Frank, once setup then wouldn't the hacker not be able to get in and therefore not be able to change the restricted list?

If it was an opt in it would still leave the door open to allow the hacker in for those who aren't opted in.
superfrank

andyfuller wrote:I like that idea Frank, once setup then wouldn't the hacker not be able to get in and therefore not be able to change the restricted list?

If it was an opt in it would still leave the door open to allow the hacker in for those who aren't opted in.
thanks. that's the idea yes.

i'm sure most serious players would opt in given the opportunity.
andyfuller

I guess one issue with it would be for those that like to do stuff on the move as your mobile device would be connecting by a different IP each time I would guess.

But even a country restriction would make any hacker have to jump through a few more hoops.

For those that trade from a set location though I can see the idea being perfect.

I would guess the reason BF are reluctant to have across the board added security is that it would put off a lot of casual users who just want their £10 bet on etc and may be then more inclined to go elsewhere.

As I have said before I don't think BF's current measures are any worse than other bookmakers in general but they are also a slightly different kind of thing to say Paddy Power.
LeTiss

I tend to agree that BF's website is probably no worse than many bookies.
The difference with BF is the amount of money people leave in their accounts, this makes it a far more attractive proposition for hackers. I suspect the likes of Paddy Power are holding a fraction of the money BF hold within customer accounts
hgodden

All they would have to do to allow us to secure our accounts would be to allow us to choose a time and date to self exclude ourselves to (instead of the 6 months that is on the website.) That way at the end of a trading session you simply exclude yourself until the time and date of your next trading session.

At the moment I'm doing this everytime anyway by calling the help desk (0844 871 0000) though you have to call them again to unsuspend it. I'd recommend anyone to do it, certainly if you have more money than normal in your account during Cheltenham. It's an 0844 number so if you're in the UK it should only cost between 1 and 5p a minute. Well worth the insurance I'd say. Plus the more people clog up their phone lines due to security fears the more they are likely to actually do something about it.
Alpha322

Some strange thing happened today that put me on guard and i susspended my account, i was trading this afternoons races, then bang the pc started to go all funny, eventualy i rebooted it, BA went funny BF site went funny and all sorts were happening, when it had come back on the shortcut icon of BA had gone, the program was still on my PC, my anti virus software should no signs of anything wrong, i rang betfair and the assistant said my account was fine is it really time to pack this in,
because accounts are not safe :o
PeterLe

Hi
I remember we talked about this just prior to Cheltenham last year too. I had quite a big bank at the time in anticipation and withdrew the vast majority of it directly after Cheltenham.
The thing I had issues with was I got a kick out of seeing my bank rise, it felt like I was achieving something, so every time i withdrew some money it felt like I was treading water and not moving forward.
What I did was open a premium bonds account and every time I took money out of Betfair it went straight into the bonds. So now I can see that sum grow. (By the way, I have won about £300 pounds this year alone in bonds, which isn't a lot but better than what I would have got if it was left in betfair!)
regards
Peter
superfrank

premium bonds are a rip-off. you'd be better off finding the highest interest savings a/c (sh1t also i know) and then buying a few euro lottery tickets every week (for the chance of a big win if that's your thing).

the only savings a/c i've had since the credit crunch that has beaten inflation is NS&I index-linked savings certs (unsurprisingly no longer available!).
PeterLe

Hi SF
Yep I know the return is not good...but high interest accounts are cra* too..and I just like the thought that I may just hit the big one! (just thinking that you may win is worth something??!)

However, you could argue that it's limited downside (as you could get your money back anytime) and potentially and lots of upside! maybe thats the trader coming out in me; I know the NPV will effectively mean the funds will erode over time..but they are making nothing in Betfair anyway! So win win!

Regards
Peter
LeTiss

I've had £5000 of Premium Bonds for 7 years. I've won 2* £500 since, and I put them back in, so I've now got £6k

Not the greatest of investments, but like Peter says, there's very little anywhere to get savers excited right now
superfrank

adjust that for inflation and you've still got less than you started with!

when you bought them they were a reasonable investment but they've slashed the amount paid in prizes and now it's just 1.5% (but tax free i suppose).

Return to “Betfair exchange”