Automation compatability

The purple place, the most viable alternative to the Betfair exchange
garryjc

Dallas has made several good automation rules for various strategies, but none of them seem to be compatible with the latest Betdaq version of Betangel.

Are their any plans to upgrade the Betdaq version so automation files are compatible?
Dallas

The Betdaq version is usually upgraded a few months behind the Betfair version so they will become compatible in due course as more updates are added to Betdaq.

In the mean time If there is enough demand and where possible i can look at recreating some to work in Betdaq.
garryjc

Thank you for your reply Dallas, it is very good of you, your offer and work are very much appreciated.

I also appreciate that Betangel for Betdaq is offered for free to try and promote it as an alternative to Betfair, and I gratefully use it as well as my Betangel Pro account on Betfair.

In my opinion though, we will never gain the same user support for the Betdaq version if it is not supported with the same features as the Betfair version.

If the aim is to encourage Betdaq use, as has been stated by the Betangel team previously, then it really needs to be at least kept up to date with the Betfair version, or the majority of people will naturely continue to just use the Betfair version.
Euler

Unfortunately, it's a catch 22 situation. Since it's introduction in 2008 people have said the same thing 'I would use it more if it was the same as the Betfair version'. But each time we upgrade it to be exactly the same, we get no more usage. So the message we are getting is that if we invest heavily in it, we get no more usage. Not a great model!

We spent 6-9 months last year lobbying Betdaq for API improvements which they eventually implemented. So we did a major upgrade to the Betdaq version, to no effect. It cost a lot of development time to do, but it made very little difference.

You also have this issue that nobody is promoting or linking to it. You have quite a few high profile people moaning about Betfair's dominance and how they would like to break it, but nobody is actually saying, 'here is a great bit of kit for free that will help you'. So most of that stance would appear to be rhetorical.

If we gain more users on the product we may upgrade it again, but without that, the gap to the Betfair version is likely to grow further.

Not wanting to be negative, just telling it as it is.
garryjc

Tempting people away from their comfort zone in Betfair is not going to be done quickly, but by not keeping the Betdaq version updated at the same level as the Betfair version just means people have no incentive to use it.

So in a way you are just fulfilling your own negative view of peoples willingness to use it by keeping it behind the good standard that you are achieving with the Betfair version.

You are obviously very disillusioned with the slow uptake, and I understand that it might not be cost effective at present, but my view is that it will never be, unless it offers the same useability or better than the Betfair version.

Perhaps it would make it more cost effective if it was an added package to the paid Betfair version as an alternative market, instead of it being a free but inferior stand alone product that people are not using enough to support.
marko236

garryjc wrote:Tempting people away from their comfort zone in Betfair is not going to be done quickly, but by not keeping the Betdaq version updated at the same level as the Betfair version just means people have no incentive to use it.

So in a way you are just fulfilling your own negative view of peoples willingness to use it by keeping it behind the good standard that you are achieving with the Betfair version.

You are obviously very disillusioned with the slow uptake, and I understand that it might not be cost effective at present, but my view is that it will never be, unless it offers the same useability or better than the Betfair version.

Perhaps it would make it more cost effective if it was an added package to the paid Betfair version as an alternative market, instead of it being a free but inferior stand alone product that people are not using enough to support.
You are spot on garryjc, do BA charge people to use Betdaq? the pc payers would pay it but would anyone else? Are Betdaq willing to pay BA for upgrade?

Due to using alot of automation i'm limited to the use of Betdaq, it's a shame hopefully one day something can be done.
Dallas

I completely understand where your coming from Garryjc and do also agree in most part with what you have said but as stated by Euler it is a double edged sword and all products need a level of demand as well as supply.

Last year it was more or less brought in line with the Betfair version but also made available for free (and still is) yet despite the efforts of BA and BD themselves there was still not anywhere near sufficient numbers using it (myself included). So later down the line when its time for some upgrades its understandable why it would not be commercially viable to commit to the same level on a product that does not have the same demand.

Had there been a decent level of migration to warrant the time and money spent im sure that by today they would both be in sync and both be getting upgraded around the same time.
I have only started using it regularly since New year and would love to see it have the same capabilities as the Betfair version and think that's one thing everyone can agree on but at the moment where just stuck in the same circle there has been for years despite last years major attempts - I'm hopeful one day the circle will be broken its just a question of when and how?

The idea of rolling it in with Betfair to help fund does sound good in principal but to do this would surely then mean a increase in subscription costs for Betfair and the main problem for that would be Betdaq have so many countries on there restricted list (which also adds to the overall user problem we talk about above) which includes many European countries a lot of which have BA Betfair customers so it would be unfair on them if their subscription was increased to help fund a product they are unable to access anyway - again just another part of the circle.
garryjc

I respect your views Dallas, and as you and Euler have explained, it all boils down to commercial interests, if customers aren't using the product then it is uneconomical to put resources to it.

Betangel are the market leader in Betfair betting sotware, thats why I use it, but the Betdaq version is obviously just going to be allowed to fall behind as uneconomic, when it could have been the market leading software for Betdaq.

As an end user I feel that it is frustrating that I can't use Betangel Betdaq in the same way as the Betfair version, but I understand the reasons.
Bear's The Name

I am very pleased with the BETDAQ version and have been using it on a daily basis since Feb 21st in addition to using the paid Betfair version.It does everything I need it to do and has not let me down once. Personally I'm thankful to have this opportunity for no additional subscription fee.

Admittedly, my bets aren't huge, a small trickle in the grand scheme of things, but if others are doing the same, who is to say that that small trickle might not develop into a mighty flow. Little acorns and all that.

Return to “Betdaq exchange”