Betdaq exiting Australia

The purple place, the most viable alternative to the Betfair exchange
switesh

Here's an excrept from an email I recently received from Betdaq:

You are receiving this email because your BETDAQ account is registered from a country in which BETDAQ has taken the decision to withdraw service. You will be able to login to the website, close out any open positions and withdraw your balance until 08:30 (GMT) on Monday 03/12/2012. After this time you will not be able to login to the website and you will need to contact our customer service department to withdraw any remaining balances. Any bets that have been placed and are not yet settled will remain open until settlement at which point any further balances will be returned to you.
We apologise for any inconvenience that this decision may cause you and wish to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom.

I'm surprised that there was no rumors, gossips or media info available on what Betdaq had in mind for Australia. This email was a complete surprise. I could find no public information on the Betdaq website either.

I've sent an inquiry email and am awaiting their response to what exactly is going on here.

Did anyone foresee this?
andyfuller

Are Ladbrokes going to actually buy them this time round I wonder?
Euler

I reckon it's a 90%+ chance this time around, will worry Betfair I should think as they are heading in the other direction!

Re : Betdaq Austrailia, bit of a surprise but not really overall I guess as legislation has changed and I don't they do that much business there. Annoying for those affected.
LeTiss

That's interesting, which makes the Ladbrokes bid even more of a possibility.

BF should be worried, very worried. They created various charges because they knew BD weren't a strong enough competitor to take away customers. Ladbrokes on the other hand will be a beast, as they have the financial power to populate markets with their own prices and money

It will make for a very interesting time
hgodden

Would be very interesting indeed. Imagine the liquidity if Ladbrokes started offering lay bets on their website at crap odds and hedging part of that and their other business on their exchange.

Might go some way to explaining Hills obsession with attacking exchanges too.
LeTiss

:lol:

That looks like Ladbroke Sexchange
freddy

Surprised that people are / or seem happy about the Ladbrokes deal.

It's an absolute disaster that the two biggest exchanges are going to be owned by bookies imo :twisted: .

I mean it's unlikely we will ever see the frase

The Ladbrokes Betting Exchange Winners Welcome

is it now :lol:
hgodden

If they did take the exchange on and improve things, especially the liquidity, I can't see them making the markets themselves at the current small spreads across all selections, giving far better odds than they can normally, would surely be suicide?

The worst thing I could see happening (though I havent put much thought into it so I'd be interested to hear others views) would be that it would take some liquidity from betfair, though it's possible that it could benefit betfair by teaching average joes about the benefits of exchanges, if ladbrokes really pushed the product of course.
superfrank

freddy wrote:Surprised that people are / or seem happy about the Ladbrokes deal.

It's an absolute disaster that the two biggest exchanges are going to be owned by bookies imo :twisted:
+2
Euler

Isn't it more about introducing viable competition into the market though? I get the feeling people are so peed off with the way Betfair have treated them, it doesn't matter how they get a bloody nose, just as long as they get one.
freddy

The original exchange model was brilliant and changed the gambling world forever and i for one am very grateful :) .

Betfair made a ton of money from it ,
but inevitably i suppose weren't satisfied
and moved away from the original concept by becoming a bookie and taxing / driving the winners that were once welcome away.

imo it’s unlikely that Ladbrokes would go the other way and do this in reverse.
I don’t know which approach they will take, but when all is said and done im pretty sure we will just end up having two very similarly run exchanges.

Neither company is going to allow us to make money without restriction whether that be by high commision or by closing winning accounts.

What we really need is an exchange that is happy to be an exchange and get rich just by taking 5% commission.

In time, im sure, when people have learn't from others mistakes we will have one, but it looks a long long way away at the moment :( .

However having said that i suppose this may be the first step to getting this, Betfair will be worried no doubt, so i guess we may start to see some incentives coming to stay with betfair.
Last edited by freddy on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha322

freddy wrote:What we really need is an exchange that is happy to be an exchange and get rich just by taking 5% commission.
I was under the impression this is what they were about then again a selling point to get custom
Shamrock

More fuel for the Ladbrokes theory. This is the pop up that happens if you try to open a Ladbrokes account from Australia.

Ladbrokes does not currently accept bets from Australia. For further information please email [email protected]

No Ladbrokes and now no Betdaq.
Euler

Just got a message from Italy that Betdaq accounts are being closed in Italy as well.

Return to “Betdaq exchange”