'Greening up' during 'in play' - Horse Racing

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Sandy123

When trading pre-off, does the profit/loss get carried over, to affect my in-play trade on the same selection? Should I green-up, before in-play starts, even though I am planning to trade in-play.
When should I green-up, during in-play, if, for example: I start off, by backing or laying a selection, then trade out, for a profit, or loss, wait for race to near end, then place another trade on the same selection, and other selections.
On that note, if I lay all runner's using offset-bet, would it be possible to automatically have all the other bet's cancelled(exept the closing part of the matched offset bet), as soon as one matches/triggers my offset bet? I would for example, lay all the horses, at 1.6, with a offset of 30 ticks.
Also, what if, I were to have all the lay offset bets, stay in the market, and none being cancelled upon the first selection matching, what would be the best way to green-up, if more than one got matched, and closed out, with the offset part of bet? and what if, one got closed out with the offset part, but the other did not get closed out, by the closing part of the offset bet, what would then be the best way to green-up?
Also, any in-play trading and greening-up advice/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks,
Ash :roll:
future

i also have a question to ask , does Bet Angel allow you to back at BSP, then put in an automatic lay to a set number of ticks , if so could you set me straight where and how to do it
Dallas

future wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:28 am
i also have a question to ask , does Bet Angel allow you to back at BSP, then put in an automatic lay to a set number of ticks , if so could you set me straight where and how to do it
In the Betfair version yes as you can store the BSP and also set the green up bet to be placed at a number of ticks relative to the BSP, but the Betdaq version doesn't have these options

The closest you can get is placing the bet at the best price as soon as it goes in-play then either having that bet offset by a number of ticks
Or if matched placed a lay bet at a fixed price of your choosing
ShaunWhite

Sandy123 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:37 am
When trading pre-off, advice/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
That's a lot of questions :) But generally the market only suspends for a short time at the start, otherwise pre-off and in-running are the same market and all bets effectively carry forward. eg Backs and lays placed pre-off are bets that actually run and win or lose.

As for when to green then that's down to when you want to reduce your liability, you'd usually use much larger stakes pre-off expecting to make a few ticks. In-running the stakes would be much smaller as not being able to close for some reason would result in a larger win or loss.

So I think the answer to you questions would be to hedge/green/close before the start of the race and then trade the in-running portion seperately. Otherwise 'yes' the things you're querying about cancellations etc are easily doable.

(do remember though that greening transactions are just another bet, don't just have them at all costs if you see the price isn't favourable especially in-running.)
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:23 pm
Sandy123 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:37 am
When trading pre-off, advice/suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
That's a lot of questions :) But generally the market only suspends for a short time at the start, otherwise pre-off and in-running are the same market and all bets effectively carry forward. eg Backs and lays placed pre-off are bets that actually run and win or lose.

As for when to green then that's down to when you want to reduce your liability, you'd usually use much larger stakes pre-off expecting to make a few ticks. In-running the stakes would be much smaller as not being able to close for some reason would result in a larger win or loss.

So I think the answer to you questions would be to hedge/green/close before the start of the race and then trade the in-running portion seperately. Otherwise 'yes' the things you're querying about cancellations etc are easily doable.

(do remember though that greening transactions are just another bet, don't just have them at all costs if you see the price isn't favourable especially in-running.)
May have wanted to check the date on that post first Shaun (and maybe there last login time) ;)

But obviously still helps anyone else stumbling across the thread :)
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:39 pm
May have wanted to check the date on that post first Shaun (and maybe there last login time) ;)

:D D'oh
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:31 pm
Dallas wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:39 pm

:oops: :oops:

Says me.... I just noticed I had already replied to the second post which was also 6 years old (facepalm)
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:02 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:31 pm
:oops: :oops:
It was your reply that prompted mine !

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”