Bad Technique?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Mark W

Hi All

I’ve been trialling BA (BetAngel; not British Airways) for almost a fortnight now and I’m starting to learn a few things.

One thing I’ve found I’m starting to do, which I sense is not good, is make the market fit me and not go with its waves.

As an example, if I lay a $25 stake and the market immediately falls quickly, I have a choice. I can immediately close the trade or, depending on the time remaining, I can wait until the market reverses and starts to rise.

But something else I find I’m doing is “bullying” the market by laying more $25 stakes at the lower level, in the hope that this will push the market up and also lower the beginning of my green zone. Therefore, it only takes a one tick move into the green zone for a decent profit to be “greened-out”.

The obvious risk with this is that the market can still fall the other way and a large loss recorded. Also, the funds required in your bank also need to be higher.

Also, I acknowledge what I do in demo mode may be quite different to what I would do (or want to do) at the start of using live mode.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you overcome this, if at all?

Cheers
Jukebox

Mark W wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:06 pm

But something else I find I’m doing is “bullying” the market by laying more $25 stakes at the lower level, in the hope that this will push the market up and also lower the beginning of my green zone. Therefore, it only takes a one tick move into the green zone for a decent profit to be “greened-out”....
.....Also, I acknowledge what I do in demo mode may be quite different to what I would do (or want to do) at the start of using live mode.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you overcome this, if at all?

Cheers
You can't "bully the market" in 'demo' mode - the market can't see your bets.
In practice mode you have an infinite amount of money that can't be seen to be matched by anyone - If you tried something similar in the real market you'll run out of money quite quickly - throwing more money at a market that went the wrong way for you might bring the green closer but it will put you in a hugely overexposed position hoping for a reversal that might not happen. Use the practice mode to get a feel for how the software works and progress carefully with small stakes in the real market.
Mark W

Thanks for comments, Jukebox.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”