Coding help for profitable pattern

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
jimibt

good night vienna - i think that's what come's to mind ;) :D
jamesg46

jimibt wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 pm
good night vienna - i think that's what come's to mind ;) :D
Peter has a video in the pipeline of a detailed trade. Maybe if Pat gives us some depth to his comment it'll stop some from falling into a scheme.
jamesg46

& before Pat uses my past spats with other forum members, I'm genuinely just asking a question. How is a YouTube video that has 15k views not a scheme but someone asking for help automating a strategy is. Two people trying the same thing... 15k people trying same thing. Be consistent with your bull shit... for what it's worth I have a great deal of respect for what Peter puts out there, then again I see an edge for what it is. Half wits see it as something that can be lost.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:11 pm
& before Pat uses my past spats with other forum members, I'm genuinely just asking a question. How is a YouTube video that has 15k views not a scheme but someone asking for help automating a strategy is. Two people trying the same thing... 15k people trying same thing. Be consistent with your bull shit... for what it's worth I have a great deal of respect for what Peter puts out there, then again I see an edge for what it is. Half wits see it as something that can be lost.
You get wound up easily over fleeting comments!

You can't give away your edge by explaining how you trade manually. Peter doesn't say, "at Wolverhampton I always back the favourite 5 minutes out at best price, set a stop loss of 5 ticks, green up at the off or 20 ticks away, whatever comes first".

He says, "there's strong support for the favourite here, more money coming in, second and third looks week, I'm just waiting to see if the favourite breaks 3.0, etc".

They're not precise instructions, you don't know exactly what he's thinking so he's only helping you along and offering guidance, you can't strictly copy what he's doing. Automation, on the other hand, can involve handing over your precise method to the coder.

That said, if I was paying a coder to automate trading I'd just want the mechanism coded with a user control panel to set the parameters of the trade.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:42 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:11 pm
You get wound up easily over fleeting comments!

You can't give away your edge by explaining how you trade manually. Peter doesn't say, "at Wolverhampton I always back the favourite 5 minutes out at best price, set a stop loss of 5 ticks, green up at the off or 20 ticks away, whatever comes first".

He says, "there's strong support for the favourite here, more money coming in, second and third looks week, I'm just waiting to see if the favourite breaks 3.0, etc".

They're not precise instructions, you don't know exactly what he's thinking so he's only helping you along and offering guidance, you can't strictly copy what he's doing. Automation, on the other hand, can involve handing over your precise method to the coder.

That said, if I was paying a coder to automate trading I'd just want the mechanism coded with a user control panel to set the parameters of the trade.
I blame my passive aggressive personality :lol:

Imo you cant give away an "edge" as a manual trader, every market is unique & dictated by supply & demand. My passive aggressive personality gets frustrated with this ABCD mentality. An edge isn't a fixed asset & it really does piss me off when people portray it that way.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:02 am
[

Imo you cant give away an "edge" as a manual trader, every market is unique & dictated by supply & demand. My passive aggressive personality gets frustrated with this ABCD mentality. An edge isn't a fixed asset & it really does piss me off when people portray it that way.
This thread is about automation. :)
ODPaul82

To the original poster, if you want it done in VBA give me a shout.
I probably will rip off your idea though or at least look to enhance it if it's profitable through my own back testing of it.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-arrowsmith-0b2b541b/

Fair few years previously working exclusively with VBA in pharma, insurance and healthcare
Mr.Teeny

If you have an original idea you would be stupid to just give it away.

Most trade videos are either to inspire, encourage, or sometimes used to sell. As pointed out on another thread, anything original and useful quickly gets copied and plagiarised. That’s why the real good stuff never gets put out there, and you can’t blame anybody for that.

Most good traders are able to think for themselves and create their own ideas.

Those that are clueless, and unable to come up with anything original of their own, spend their time trawling through YouTube going from guru to guru, thinking they are learning something unique.

Of course an edge can be lost. Look at what happened to that guy who first put out those videos of him jumping in front of the money on the favourite. He didn’t last very long.

The people who get angriest about others not sharing edges, are usually people who don’t have any themselves. If you want to be in it for the long haul, at some point you have to learn how to think for yourself ( and that doesn’t mean watching a guru on YouTube who tells you how your brain works ! ) :lol:
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:25 am
jamesg46 wrote:
[

Well done Einstein, aren't you a clever boy...

I'm not sure if you noticed but the OP was about automation, the conversation then changed & schemes started being discussed, then comparisons were brought up.... by now I'm assuming that you've noticed a subtle change in conversation but incase you haven't, let me break it down for you.

1:Automating a pattern.
2:Pyramid Scheme.

See the difference Derek? But yeah, this thread is about automation wink, wink.
jamesg46

Mr.Teeny wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:57 am
If you have an original idea you would be stupid to just give it away.

Most trade videos are either to inspire, encourage, or sometimes used to sell. As pointed out on another thread, anything original and useful quickly gets copied and plagiarised. That’s why the real good stuff never gets put out there, and you can’t blame anybody for that.

Most good traders are able to think for themselves and create their own ideas.

Those that are clueless, and unable to come up with anything original of their own, spend their time trawling through YouTube going from guru to guru, thinking they are learning something unique.

Of course an edge can be lost. Look at what happened to that guy who first put out those videos of him jumping in front of the money on the favourite. He didn’t last very long.

The people who get angriest about others not sharing edges, are usually people who don’t have any themselves. If you want to be in it for the long haul, at some point you have to learn how to think for yourself ( and that doesn’t mean watching a guru on YouTube who tells you how your brain works ! ) :lol:
Knowing how to trade (the edge) can only be lost if you lose your sense of awareness.

A video showing people a detailed trade won't change a horses behaviour when it's playing up at post, neither will it change the structure of how a race is run. Every single race is unique, from the horses, the jockeys, the going, the pace etc etc.

I could understand the concept of an edge being lost if the variables were the same over and over but they aren't.

There are certain characteristics that play out and people will always respond to them collectively, putting out a video doesn't change that, it raises awareness which in turn enhances the behaviour.

The theory that an edge can be lost is bull shit & it probably exists because of YouTube content that paints pictures of doing A + B will = C everytime, Sports Trading Life is a great example of that. "How to make £250 backing the over 2.5" without any mention that each and every game is a unique event.

I do remember one guy that lost his edge though, I remember he was the 4 tick offset guy :lol: yeah i remeber the good old days when every market used to play to the tune of the 4 tick offset strategy :lol:
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:51 am
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
[

I'm not sure if you noticed but the OP was about automation, the conversation then changed & schemes started being discussed, then comparisons were brought up.... by now I'm assuming that you've noticed a subtle change in conversation but incase you haven't, let me break it down for you.

The scheme was a comparison to giving away successful automation, which loses its edge. You then made a direct comparison to manual trading, Peter's videos, ABC mentality and applied it to manual traders when the question was only raised regarding automation and giving your strategy to a coder!
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:21 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

The scheme was a comparison to giving away successful automation, which loses its edge. You then made a direct comparison to manual trading, Peter's videos, ABC mentality and applied it to manual traders when the question was only raised regarding automation and giving your strategy to a coder!
It doesn't matter if it's automation or manual my point remains the same. We could use the shared files section as a comparison if you like. Is a front runner bot just a scheme because it's been shared, has it stopped horses from front running? Have people who used that strategy lost their edge because of the file?

Front runners, Dobs, swing trading, scalping or whatever is just a strategy. The application is where the edge is. These things don't just stop happening because the reality was shared. A front runner today won't decide to not front run because more people are betting on it doing so.

An edge is made up of application of a strategy, adaptation to circumstances & good money management, either manually or automated.

I went down the path of comparing it to manual trading because I mentioned early on in one of my comments that patterns are usually based on price action. I do believe that most price action trading is likely to be done manually (most, not all) because of the complexity of building that sort of automation & I've not seen many or if at all any conversation about it.

I'm done anyway, people will believe what they want & it's been the general mindset for as long as I can remember so me banging on about it won't be of any use.
The Silk Run

I would support your statement James. Some, not all systems, strategies no matter what exposure they have in the public domain still remain effective, and consistent.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's automation or manual my point remains the same. We could use the shared files section as a comparison if you like. Is a front runner bot just a scheme because it's been shared, has it stopped horses from front running? Have people who used that strategy lost their edge because of the file?

Front runners, Dobs, swing trading, scalping or whatever is just a strategy. The application is where the edge is. These things don't just stop happening because the reality was shared. A front runner today won't decide to not front run because more people are betting on it doing so.

An edge is made up of application of a strategy, adaptation to circumstances & good money management, either manually or automated.

I went down the path of comparing it to manual trading because I mentioned early on in one of my comments that patterns are usually based on price action. I do believe that most price action trading is likely to be done manually (most, not all) because of the complexity of building that sort of automation & I've not seen many or if at all any conversation about it.

I'm done anyway, people will believe what they want & it's been the general mindset for as long as I can remember so me banging on about it won't be of any use.
There's no need to get your knickers in a twist just because we don't understand each other. It's not the first and won't be the last time.
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:55 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm
Personally I think differently about it. Patterns are usually based on price action. More people trading the same pattern or price action the stronger it becomes... maybe getting out though is where people start cutting each others throats.
It's like a pyramid scheme, everyone rides the wave and you take it in turns to be the schmuck who's paying. :)
So it's the word 'scheme' you don't like. Perhaps we interpreted the above post differently. To my mind, the comparison to a pyramid scheme relates to the possible results of sharing a successful automated strategy, not the unscrupulous people running it.

I understand what you're saying about the application of a strategy being more important than the strategy, but that's not always the case. A bot can be simple and straightforward with fixed entry and exit points. If you look back at the OP it wasn't clear if that was the case.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:

There's no need to get your knickers in a twist just because we don't understand each other. It's not the first and won't be the last time.
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:55 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm
Personally I think differently about it. Patterns are usually based on price action. More people trading the same pattern or price action the stronger it becomes... maybe getting out though is where people start cutting each others throats.
It's like a pyramid scheme, everyone rides the wave and you take it in turns to be the schmuck who's paying. :)
So it's the word 'scheme' you don't like. Perhaps we interpreted the above post differently. To my mind, the comparison to a pyramid scheme relates to the possible results of sharing a successful automated strategy, not the unscrupulous people running it.

I understand what you're saying about the application of a strategy being more important than the strategy, but that's not always the case. A bot can be simple and straightforward with fixed entry and exit points. If you look back at the OP it wasn't clear if that was the case.
Honestly I don't have my knickers in a twist, least not yet anyway. I don't want to debate it any more for three reasons. People don't care, they will believe what they believe & I just look like the ranting lunatic banging on about something that others perceive differently.

Just like the age old "the markets are efficient, you cant make money" line, people with that mindset will not have it any other way so it's just pointless.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”