Please help!

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
jamesg46

Anbell wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:19 am
Anbell wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:15 am

Everyone here is asking you to stop swinging back. Just don't do it.
Noted. Sometimes though the swings come unnecessarily. These guys followed me here.
Shhh.
I'm not sure why but you have a real way with words. There feels to be more than what appears on the acreen. I'll be quite.
dt888

LeTiss wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:54 am

Personally, I think Peter and Dallas need to get rid of threads that have absolutely no relevance to trading markets
Also, this may prove unpopular (I don't want to create a 'them' and 'us' atmosphere), but I think proven PC payers should have a star next to their user name.....that will seperate proper traders from the newbies or fantasists
+1

It’s the newbies I feel sorry for, having to log in and read posts from the likes of James. That’s not what this forum is about, and if that’s the first impression people get then it’s a shame.

Some people like to rub shoulders with best traders on this forum, and give a false impression that they are one of them. When in actual fact, just their lack of emotional control on this very forum should indicate that they will likely never be a good trader or consistently profitable due to how important mindset and emotions are in this game. If they can’t control themselves on a forum, what chance in the heat of battle in a market.

I think a star next to PC payers and maybe a double star next to higher rate PC payers would be a great idea. It would certainly help filter out the fantasists.

Also I think people who continually overstep the mark should be banned from this forum. I’ve already considered myself the last couple of days if I want to continue or have a break like others have. But I feel this forum has helped me achieve so much over the years. Great advice and snippets from the likes of Euler, Dallas, Jolly, Le Tiss, SB, Megarain and many more people

The fact that one of those people, SB, has been (as far as I know) driven away from the forum by someone is really sad and disappointing.

The core of this forum is far more important to maintain than a few wannabes coming along and continually upsetting some of the most respected members here.

Let’s hope things can improve
jamesg46

dt888 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am
LeTiss wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:54 am

Personally, I think Peter and Dallas need to get rid of threads that have absolutely no relevance to trading markets
Also, this may prove unpopular (I don't want to create a 'them' and 'us' atmosphere), but I think proven PC payers should have a star next to their user name.....that will seperate proper traders from the newbies or fantasists
+1

It’s the newbies I feel sorry for, having to log in and read posts from the likes of James. That’s not what this forum is about, and if that’s the first impression people get then it’s a shame.

Some people like to rub shoulders with best traders on this forum, and give a false impression that they are one of them. When in actual fact, just their lack of emotional control on this very forum should indicate that they will likely never be a good trader or consistently profitable due to how important mindset and emotions are in this game. If they can’t control themselves on a forum, what chance in the heat of battle in a market.

I think a star next to PC payers and maybe a double star next to higher rate PC payers would be a great idea. It would certainly help filter out the fantasists.

Also I think people who continually overstep the mark should be banned from this forum. I’ve already considered myself the last couple of days if I want to continue or have a break like others have. But I feel this forum has helped me achieve so much over the years. Great advice and snippets from the likes of Euler, Dallas, Jolly, Le Tiss, SB, Megarain and many more people

The fact that one of those people, SB, has been (as far as I know) driven away from the forum by someone is really sad and disappointing.

The core of this forum is far more important to maintain than a few wannabes coming along and continually upsetting some of the most respected members here.

Let’s hope things can improve
I'm getting a little bit tired of this. You're far from correct regarding SB.

+2 I'd be more than pleased if this forum got gold stars... It would be like McDonald's. You can have extra one for being so emotionally controlled. Well done you.

Funny you feel sorry for the newbies, you come here to post about me while ignoring the newbie asking for help. Does that make you any better than me? 2 extra gold stars if so.
Anbell

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am

+2 I'd be more than pleased if this forum got gold stars... It would be like McDonald's. You can have extra one for being so emotionally controlled. Well done you.

Funny you feel sorry for the newbies, you come here to post about me while ignoring the newbie asking for help. Does that make you any better than me? 2 extra gold stars if so.
Shhh.
jamesg46

Anbell wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:44 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am

Shhh.
:lol: ok, I'm done this time... promise. I get it, others just can't resist but I will not be tempted again.
ODPaul82

For the original poster, you've not indicated what sport you want to trade but based on the fact you attempted to do an unders swing am guessing that you want to trade football.

Unders swings are profitable as long as you get match selection correct, if you're exiting at 10 minutes and there's nothing happening in the game then you're just throwing potential profit away, whereas vice versa if there is a ton of action happening then you probably wan't to be bailing out of the game
Cut your losses short, let your profits run.
burntheory

dt888 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am

In theory only BF should have access to accounts details. Sharing those with BA would be a breach of data protection, surely.

Where would it end? Stars for insider traders and money launderers?
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:49 am
:lol: ok, I'm done this time... promise. I get it, others just can't resist but I will not be tempted again.

In the interest of being fair and balanced in this particular instance James was just answering the OP's question so if we want to be juvenile it would be only right to say he didn't start it. Having said that James, you've gone into different threads and provoked people on numerous occasions who were trying their best not to be sucked in so its a bit late to be playing the innocent. Like others have said you've become very confrontational of late and the one thing all your spats have in common is they're never your fault. Its always the other person to blame; they misinterpreted what you said, their perception of you is wrong... etc... The whole pm drama from earlier in the thread I think is particularly sad, I don't know which is worse the fact you bitch about people in pm's or that you think anybody gives a damn and would be shocked about what's being said about them in a pm.

On a broader note to the rest of the forum my advice would be to just ignore what you don't like and focus on what you do like. I think it would be a shame if the forum became a trading only zone but maybe a different layout for the website would work? RIght now the forum is laid out like Twitter, you have to look at the latest trending topics whether you're interested in them or not, maybe a layout where you have a trading only section and a section for everything else, that way if you're only interested in trading related talk you never have to even see new posts on other topics.

Some talk also about banning people, I don't think that's the way to go. The forum would become a laughing stock especially to those who are always knocking Bet Angel and it would just encourage trolls to join and see what it would take to get banned.

Its a shame yet another thread has been hijacked by this nonsense, sorry OP
Undockedstar

Thank you to those who replied to my question. From what i can gather is plenty more reading / watching and use practice mode to try get a feel for different markets and what strategy's to use in each. At least i think (hope) that's the way forward.
jamesg46

Undockedstar wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:42 pm
Thank you to those who replied to my question. From what i can gather is plenty more reading / watching and use practice mode to try get a feel for different markets and what strategy's to use in each. At least i think (hope) that's the way forward.
Spot on. Try to get out of pm quickly though, even if it means using small stakes. It's amazing the way real money can mess with your emotions. Focus in on money management.

For what it's worth, I'm sorry for the way this thread turned out. This forum in general is a great place to be with very valuable content and lots of knowledgeable people.

You won't find many degenerate people like me, most are more than willing to help with anything.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:13 am
This isn't about old drama, Derek decided to bring SB up. While we're on about it though the guy was a liar, he flat out lied & painted a picture that remains to this day, obviously (which was what I was referring to Derek). I apologised for my behaviour but some clearly can't let it go.
Just to set the record straight, I don't know what the issue was with SB, I wasn't following the conversation. I was referring to telling people that others are slagging them off behind their back, which you've done on more than one occasion. I find it very childish. It's not just the contents of PMs that should be kept private, the names of the sender and gist of the conversation should also be kept private.
jamesg46

Shhh.
Euler

The forum isn't here to pick fights or score points. It's a place for people to meet and discuss trading. It's disappointing to see fights breaking out all time at the moment.

So we are going to review how we maintain that. We all have a part to play and there is no point in infighting, especially where people ask for what is basic help. It doesn't take much to give them a helping hand and some pointers.

There isn't really any excuse to start arguing on somebody else's thread, so maybe we need a tougher line on that. But there are probably other measures we can take to aid people as well. So I think the time has come to do that.

Let's draw a line under this.
jamesg46

I agree & I'll be the first to admit that most of my behaviour on the forum is far from forum worthy. This forum, like I've said is a great place to be & I've participated in dragging down the spirit of being helpful, considerably.

I get far too attached to fleeting comments, which for the most part, probably aren't intended to cause animosity.

From now on, if I've got nothing nice or positive to say, I'll say nothing at all.
Kai

I'm afraid this is a bit of a flaw with how a classic forum works. Without proactive moderation there aren't many other tools for self-moderation, other than pack mentality that eventually drowns out minority opinions and unwanted content, which is far from ideal, so Peter did have to resort to manual bans when things escalate enough.

It really shouldn't be this difficult to get along or at least to co-exist, it's common decency IMHO, but no use talking about that at this point. Standing up for yourself is not an issue if done within reason, but persistent personal attacks can obviously become an issue not just for the parties involved but for everyone, the fact it spilled into a newbie thread is evidence enough, and that should probably be addressed, why not work it out in private if possible, and if not the forum has the Foe/Friend mechanism to deal with that, in the User Control Panel.

It's not a perfect feature or solution but at the end of the day everyone decides what content they want to consume, and that forum feature can help with that so maybe use it if absolutely necessary, lol.

Maybe it would be time to consider upgrading the forum a bit, perhaps with like an upvote system which would help with self-moderation etc. I think going the "Verified" route like Twitter has implemented would help with transparency but would also filter out those that prefer anonymity, which could very well be the majority, and sharing personal data with a software vendor even if legal would surely be a deal-breaker for many as well, particularly those that don't even use the software.

As a Redditor, I feel Reddit is probably the best modern implementation of an internet forum, maybe Bet Angel can pick up a thing or two from there. In short, for those not familiar with it, it's an anonymous internet forum with social media aspects where the users can discuss and vote on what content they want to consume. The self-moderation part works through "karma" points where all posts can be either upvoted or downvoted if needed, this greatly helps highlight the helpful contributions while the negative and unwanted content gets downvoted into oblivion which practically renders it invisible, which obviously helps promote constructive and helpful posting. However, most Subreddits usually have strict rules in place with active moderators too, they even have bots that auto-remove certain content instantly.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”