Please help!

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:13 am
This isn't about old drama, Derek decided to bring SB up. While we're on about it though the guy was a liar, he flat out lied & painted a picture that remains to this day, obviously (which was what I was referring to Derek). I apologised for my behaviour but some clearly can't let it go.
Just to set the record straight, I don't know what the issue was with SB, I wasn't following the conversation. I was referring to telling people that others are slagging them off behind their back, which you've done on more than one occasion. I find it very childish. It's not just the contents of PMs that should be kept private, the names of the sender and gist of the conversation should also be kept private.
jamesg46

Shhh.
Euler

The forum isn't here to pick fights or score points. It's a place for people to meet and discuss trading. It's disappointing to see fights breaking out all time at the moment.

So we are going to review how we maintain that. We all have a part to play and there is no point in infighting, especially where people ask for what is basic help. It doesn't take much to give them a helping hand and some pointers.

There isn't really any excuse to start arguing on somebody else's thread, so maybe we need a tougher line on that. But there are probably other measures we can take to aid people as well. So I think the time has come to do that.

Let's draw a line under this.
jamesg46

I agree & I'll be the first to admit that most of my behaviour on the forum is far from forum worthy. This forum, like I've said is a great place to be & I've participated in dragging down the spirit of being helpful, considerably.

I get far too attached to fleeting comments, which for the most part, probably aren't intended to cause animosity.

From now on, if I've got nothing nice or positive to say, I'll say nothing at all.
Kai

I'm afraid this is a bit of a flaw with how a classic forum works. Without proactive moderation there aren't many other tools for self-moderation, other than pack mentality that eventually drowns out minority opinions and unwanted content, which is far from ideal, so Peter did have to resort to manual bans when things escalate enough.

It really shouldn't be this difficult to get along or at least to co-exist, it's common decency IMHO, but no use talking about that at this point. Standing up for yourself is not an issue if done within reason, but persistent personal attacks can obviously become an issue not just for the parties involved but for everyone, the fact it spilled into a newbie thread is evidence enough, and that should probably be addressed, why not work it out in private if possible, and if not the forum has the Foe/Friend mechanism to deal with that, in the User Control Panel.

It's not a perfect feature or solution but at the end of the day everyone decides what content they want to consume, and that forum feature can help with that so maybe use it if absolutely necessary, lol.

Maybe it would be time to consider upgrading the forum a bit, perhaps with like an upvote system which would help with self-moderation etc. I think going the "Verified" route like Twitter has implemented would help with transparency but would also filter out those that prefer anonymity, which could very well be the majority, and sharing personal data with a software vendor even if legal would surely be a deal-breaker for many as well, particularly those that don't even use the software.

As a Redditor, I feel Reddit is probably the best modern implementation of an internet forum, maybe Bet Angel can pick up a thing or two from there. In short, for those not familiar with it, it's an anonymous internet forum with social media aspects where the users can discuss and vote on what content they want to consume. The self-moderation part works through "karma" points where all posts can be either upvoted or downvoted if needed, this greatly helps highlight the helpful contributions while the negative and unwanted content gets downvoted into oblivion which practically renders it invisible, which obviously helps promote constructive and helpful posting. However, most Subreddits usually have strict rules in place with active moderators too, they even have bots that auto-remove certain content instantly.
to75ne

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:40 pm
I agree & I'll be the first to admit that most of my behaviour on the forum is far from forum worthy. This forum, like I've said is a great place to be & I've participated in dragging down the spirit of being helpful, considerably.

I get far too attached to fleeting comments, which for the most part, probably aren't intended to cause animosity.

From now on, if I've got nothing nice or positive to say, I'll say nothing at all.
you really dont help yourself do you, you must have the last word.
Euler

The self-moderation part works through "karma" points where all posts can be either upvoted or downvoted if needed, this greatly helps highlight the helpful contributions while the negative and unwanted content gets downvoted into oblivion which practically renders it invisible
We have been trialling a new version of the forum with additional features, but it's quite complex when you have a mature platform. But we are going to see if we can speed that up. Won't be a quick thing though.
Kai

That's good to hear, might appeal to newer generations of traders more, logically speaking forum needs fresh blood to survive long term.

Alternatively, I don't see what else can be done other than to become more strict and give out more yellow and red cards to people.
jamesg46

to75ne wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:47 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

you really dont help yourself do you, you must have the last word.
:D

https://youtu.be/PtjO8Nl6Mek
Euler

Kai wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:57 pm
That's good to hear, might appeal to newer generations of traders more, logically speaking forum needs fresh blood to survive long term.

Alternatively, I don't see what else can be done other than to become more strict and give out more yellow and red cards to people.
We have kept a light touch on the forum for ages, but I think we will be more active for the shot term. So that stuff can stay on topic. Other posts will probably be moved to a separate thread or something. We will discuss it next week.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:

Got a Déjà vu feeling this morning. :)

viewtopic.php?p=250554#p250554
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

Draw the line Derek. Let's not carry this on. There is no need to score points or continue to bicker/post sly comments. Nobody benefits, we're much better than this.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Draw the line Derek. Let's not carry this on. There is no need to score points or continue to bicker/post sly comments. Nobody benefits, we're much better than this.
Sorry, that wasn't bickering/point scoring, etc. I was just reminding you that we've been here before.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:06 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Sorry, that wasn't bickering/point scoring, etc. I was just reminding you that we've been here before.
Appreciate it. I'm not sure it was needed though, especially not for the 3rd time in a one week period, 2nd time in a matter of hours. I know I've declined but I remember it.

We can move on now. You don't have to talk to me or be my friend or whatever but we don't need to carry this on.
foxwood

Euler wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:13 pm
We have kept a light touch on the forum for ages, but I think we will be more active for the shot term. So that stuff can stay on topic. Other posts will probably be moved to a separate thread or something. We will discuss it next week.
Yes please - never used to be like this. Suggest you simply use the delete key rather than move to another thread unless it's just one great big thread titled "Rubbish posts". Your forum - your rules :)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”