Old Logs

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
leest2019

I've had a problem with Betfair - don't know if anyone else has had the same issue:

Saturday I placed a pre match trade on the Anderlecht match, backing U 2.5 which was matched before KO. I also placed trades to drip lay my position as the game went on. Kept click in play etc.

When the match kicked off, it was automatically suspended. It stayed like this for around 20 mins and then finally Betfair decided to unsuspend it. My lay bets had been matched and I cashed out via Betangel for a profit. However, when logging into my Betfair account the only bet that is showing matched and taken is the initial back bet for U 2.5 which lost by the end of the game. There is no sign of the lay bets or my cashout bet being taken. Is there anywhere on the BA platform that shows bets being matched?

I'm guessing Betfair had some sort of problem on Saturday evening with certain matches. Anyone else notice it?
sniffer66

I had trades on that match and all were voided. Seems BF had issues with the management of the markets and failed to suspend\close as the goals were scored. On that basis all trades for every market were voided. Annoying as I would have had a decent profit.

Was the only match affected that evening as far as I could see.

My voided trades were in play and automated but if you are still showing a loss you may want to query it with BF.
leest2019

Thanks for that. I didn't notice if the market failed to suspend after each goal, I only noticed that at kick off it stayed suspended. When it reopend I managed to trade out for a profit (or so I thought) before a goal was scored. Unfortunately Betfair failed to honor the inplay trade that got me a profit but they kept the pre match trade which meant I had a loss.

Just been onto Live chat for over an hour. In the end they offered me a free £20 exchange bet. I was going to argue it and at least want my initial £20 cash back but in the end just took it. Sometimes it's not worth the extra effort for the sake of a couple of quid.

I can match bet it out on smarkets so I'll be around £3 down which is annoying because I should have been £7 up. Small amounts but I'm using it to try and perfect some strategies.
ShaunWhite

leest2019 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Unfortunately Betfair failed to honor the inplay trade that got me a profit but they kept the pre match trade which meant I had a loss.

Small amounts but I'm using it to try and perfect some strategies.
See it as a good thing because it's a reminder that sh*t happens. It's not just a case of managing your 'normal' risk of a few quid up of down but also about managing your maximum risk. You wouldn't want to be putting all of your bank down even of you only planned to lose only a small part of it. It's a reminder too that nobody here has a 'trade', it's bets and bets always carry the risk of losing your whole stake unless you can hedge them.

It's decent of Betfair to cover at least some of your loss....plenty of people will have gained but I bet none of them will have been on the phone offering to give it back.
leest2019

Oh yeah I know. There's only so much managing the what if risk though I'd guess. Excellent advice on the maximum risk which, luckily, I do anyway. I'd never put my full bank roll on something. It's not a massive loss and I can make it back. Even if they refused to give me anything I'd have made it back it's just annoying for two reasons. The first being it screws with the results when trying to figure in a strategy (it's not always possible to factor in the 1 in a thousand situations where something extraordinary happens which you have zero control over) and this happens on certain markets quite a bit with Betfair.

Good point about people gaining and not giving b=it back. I'd most likely wouldn't give it back so fairs fair.
ShaunWhite

leest2019 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:50 pm
it's not always possible to factor in the 1 in a thousand situations where something extraordinary happens
As far as proving if your strategy is OK then I'd exclude it from the results.

It's probably going to be reasonably frequent (however you quantify that) but in some ways it's better than it being extremely rare. That's hard to agree with that on the surface but market prices generally aren't too far from correct, some you win and some you lose but overall, if you bet a lot as we do it's going to be somewhere close to break even. Yep ideally everything would run like clockwork, but at least with fair odds you have some chance it'll work in your favour rather then a certain loss. Small comfort when you've taken a beating granted but hopefully the probability gods will be kinder to you next time, provided I'm not the one who's paying you!
leest2019

Small comfort when you've taken a beating granted but hopefully the probability gods will be kinder to you next time, provided I'm not the one who's paying you!
Haha - very true.

Thinking about it I've had it before when it's worked in my favor so I can't grumble really.

I do exclude unfortunate losses and lucky wins from my results so it's not going to make that much of a difference in the long run. I just need to accept it and move on.

I've been doing this and matched betting long enough to know these things happen.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”