Back to Lay - A little confused

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
wattythesassy

First off, sorry, this will be a dumb question to all of you.

Im deep into the academy and really loving it. Im a little confused by the terms.

What im wanting to start off with, is i have a knack for identifying which horses will shorten. So i understand to trade, to Back the horse HIGH and Lay it lower.

What i dont understand, is how to gain a maximum profit from this opportunity? (for a beginner). I see the "offset with greening options" and so forth, and then "hedging" across the market. But if i have already achieved a trade on the difference of odds, doesnt that simply finish the trade?
decomez6

hi !
this will be a dumb question to all of you.
show me a dumb question and i will show you what learning is all about.

scientific method starts with
- a Question (why does the apple fall from a tree)
-hypothesis (a downward pulling/pushing force)
-testing
-a working model (answer) GRAVITY
apollo to the moon ! :)

i have a knack for identifying which horses will shorten
great start
understand how to gain a maximum profit from this opportunity
great finish

how?

B2L....back to lay when in profit. (green)

without a hedge :
you will only secure a maximum win from the trade if the selection goes ahead and win but will not loose or gain (0) when it looses

with a hedge:
you secure a winning regardless of the direction of the price.

welcome to the learning club :D

i am the student looking from the window and derek27 is the discipline master......just mention :o MAAAARRRTINGALE!
iambic_pentameter

OP

There a various ways to approach B2Ls.

You could do a DOB i.e. back a horse and 6 for £10 and lay at 3 for £20 and if it gets matched, you would get a £10 green on every runner.

If you were confident that the horse would trade a lot lower than 50%, then you could remove your liability at 3 and leave all the profit on the horse and green up a lot lower i..e if the runner goes odds on.

The most important lesson I was taught, is that of stake size - ideally you don't want to use more than 2.5% of your bank per trade.

Inevitably there will be trades that go wrong due to falling horses, horses that miss the breaks, Brexit etc.

Iambic
Realrocknrolla

iambic_pentameter wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 am
OP

There a various ways to approach B2Ls.

You could do a DOB i.e. back a horse and 6 for £10 and lay at 3 for £20 and if it gets matched, you would get a £10 green on every runner.

If you were confident that the horse would trade a lot lower than 50%, then you could remove your liability at 3 and leave all the profit on the horse and green up a lot lower i..e if the runner goes odds on.

The most important lesson I was taught, is that of stake size - ideally you don't want to use more than 2.5% of your bank per trade.

Inevitably there will be trades that go wrong due to falling horses, horses that miss the breaks, Brexit etc.

Iambic
Brexit 😂😂😂
Greenupmonster

i never found the academy useful just full of basic trading imo its getting harder and harder to make money on the pre off horse racing know matter how well you think you can read the market . Automated bots or trading programs are now running the show and imo this is going to ruin BF trading for the manual trader as if you watch the pre off markets it never makes sence as the bots are just running amok gobbling up all the money on the back and lay side of the markets at lightening fast speeds good luck to you in your trading but i feel you have to be an expert at setting up automation and bots to make it pay on the horses.
wattythesassy

Thankyou ALL for the really helpful replies!

answered my question perfectly, thankyou

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”